Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 17 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

Interesting comments... Quite stunned by the lack of apparent customer focus.

Back in 2004 at the Birmingham Motor Show I gauped at a Black F360 Challenge Stradale on the Ferrari stand. A Ferrari sales man clocked my genuine love for the car and invited me onto the stand by offering me his card and a time a bit later on in the day to view the car with a glass of wine. He knew I was a 20 something who probably didn't have the money to buy it. But he also knew I was taken with the car and "might" one day be a customer...

• Like 1

I think the negativity is related "I want a 90K car to have 200K look"...

More related to I want an £80k car that represents that figure not £60k, and I'm being generous.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Just back from Geneva.

Lotus stand. It was all a bit apologetic. They needed someone from the factory to be able to talk properly about the car and enthuse people. Not just open the car and walk away. The chap on the stand did his best though but wasn't terribly forthcoming with info.You were given access to the car, if you asked, but it was a case of grudgingly.

However getting into it was a joy compared to an Exige and tho a pre prod I was impressed with the overall quality. The pics really don't do it justice and the colour was a woeful choice given the ones available. The leather would not be my preference and would again look better in a different colour,trim and stitching (suede) but you got the idea the cabin was going to be a decent place to be. There is more room in the back but it's definetly 'occasional'. If you like the current car then you will love the new one, it is a good upgrade but I'm still not sure about the rear treatment though. And overall though better than the pictures suggest it didn't wow me.

Sadly the drivers seat adjuster knob was still missing and the large bronze coloured splines exposed every time the door was open. Unforgivable that this wasn't fixed, taped/covered , anything really. I don't care that it was a pre prod, you do not have a 'flagship' product on display in such a condition without it being fixed. It's a small thing but is enough to let a whisper of doubt linger for anyone contemplating dropping 70k on product. Pity.

How stark the contrast to the MacLaren stand (yes I know different league but...) tour of stand, all production cars opened for us to sit and play, tech explanation, nothing too much trouble. You came away planning how to finance one.

And don't mention the GT4. I sat in it straight after the Evora. The overall fit,feel, finish and attention to detail is simply better. We even had a good discussion on the intake system, why the 991 version couldn't fit etc all while delving into the engine bay of the car. Knowledgeable staff member who even knew of the uk sell out position and explained how to buy thru european dealer. Again you came away wanting one. I'm just hoping that dynamically that both Evora and Exige 400 have the Pork beat, otherwise...

Star of show for all of us was Gt40. Jaw dropping design, tho its a V6! Booooo. However Focus RS was hideous, which pleases me greatly.....

Overall good show (way too hot though) a lot of new exciting product on display and it only occured to me on the way home that once we'd been to the Lotus stand, for the rest of the day we never talked about the 400 or Lotus once.

Black n gold

I agree totally with your thoughts Stu, let's hope they get the detail right by the time production starts, it will be a good car then but the competition is stiff at that price point and these are going to be £80k in any spec you actually want. Now if Motorsport get their fingers out and produce a lighter car with 425bhp plus they will have my order straight away.

Trevor.

• Like 1

What's really worrying is that all of the negativity is coming from those who went to Geneva to see it. I was hoping to hear that it was so much better in the flesh. I get the impression that Lotus weren't there to sell the 400, only to announce it. Also sounds like they had their work cut out to get it ready in time for the show. Disappointing.

But come on chaps, a new, lighter, chargecooled Evora 400 with 25 more bhp than the new Porsche GT4 for similar money, all is not lost.

I'm totally behind your last statement of course, I think it's huge disappointment and worry about Lotus you can hear as nobody has said they don't like the car.

Trevor.

As I see it, other than settling on a basic genre, such as GT, saloon, estate, 4x4 etc, not many people buy cars based on a set of objective criteria. All the bull about bhp, lap times, brake diameter, gear ratios, even engine size, are all marginalised by first impressions, the test drive - and not forgetting brand loyalty.

Most of the comments on here are merely opinions stated as fact. Very few are actual fact.

There is no doubt that the new car is better than the old car. Whether it is better than a porker remains subjective. If you already love the Evora you cannot help but love the new car.

There is very little wrong with the car but it seems there might be quite a lot wrong with the marketing. The visitors tales make a very poor image.

However, overall I think I would rather rely on my own opinion than any of the slanted comments posted so far in this thread. Opinions are fine but making them into facts renders them valueless.

• Like 1

Mike S

In my eyes a good move by Lotus. They are defining which market the Evora is aiming at, its now a 911 alternative with 186mph and 4.1secs.

It's risky being in no mans land. At mid £70k it's good value when you compare it to a 911. You've got to compare it to something Bibs.

• Like 1

Puts/Trev , the car was a pre prod so you hope that it'd be right for production. In which case it's a nice place to be but would sit behind porsche on ambience/perceived quality which a lot of buyers will look for. An extra €100 cost per car for interior and £1000 on price would benefit the interior hugely, we re talking details like switchgear material, fit finish on material radii , door release weights, better plastic covers etc... Makes a massive difference and at this price is expected. If it's ok at 72k but rather nice at 74k they'll be in a better place with the product.

It's just bloody frustrating seeing what could be . See enough of that at my place :)

They've got the ingredients I just hope they can put the right amounts in the mix and cook it right.

Mind you those lower chassis rails and 400ps - with an interior refresh- in an Exige and I'll sign up.

Black n gold

THough I also wish Lotus could achieve Porsche build quality, there is simply no way to get there. Porsche buys higher quality parts froom suppliers at significantly lower costs. If the supplier doesn't meet quality requirements he loses not only the Porsche contract, but probably complete VW. If  the supplier loses a Lotus contract would he really care?

Atz the same time, the Porsche is built by robots to within very tight tolerances, Lotus are hand assembled. Remember, even Ferrari has problems achieving Porsche build quality, though they can use higher quality parts, but at a significantly higher price.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Ultimately one thing that swayed me lotus over Porsche is lotus is more than the sum of its parts. It's more than just a car. Porsche is what people think they want and sadly is what most non driving enthusiasts buy. This turns me off them MASSIVELY.

You'd think so but apparently it's perfect in standard spec. There's a £2670 Clubsport seat option if you're feeling the urge!

First owner of my NA Evora spent over just over £10k on all three packs, Motorsport Wheels and a sports exhaust... £60k ish. £65k today for the GT4 is insanely good! I'd be lying to say I'm VERY tempted. But it's a different car to the Evora altogether.

Back on Topic:-

For a Mk 2 version of the current Evora I think they've done well. The performance your getting for the money is fair. It's going to be about the quality, get it right and she'll sell in the sort of numbers i'd imagine Lotus is looking for.

• Like 2

its not fair comparing the evora 400 with the gt4. i bet the 911 S will be slower arround a track than the gt4. now if we insist on comparing it to the evora 400 lets wait for the cup version. i still thik the gt4 should be compared to the exige 400:-)

All this admiration for the GT4 is a bit odd especially before anyone's driven it. What's it based on? Porsche 'motorsport's reputation presumably? Internet chatter?

Porsche claim the 991S is faster around the Nurburgring than the Cayman GT4. A £55k Exige V6S has a better power to weight ratio than the GT4 and even the Porsche fans on pistonheads agree that a desirable spec would cost at least £75k. Unless I'm missing something, I can't see a single thing the GT4 does better than a 997 GT3.

With so many people having written it off already, I think the Evora 400 might be able to pull a few surprises yet.

• Like 1

Lotus will have to double production if just 2% of potential Porsche buyers choose the Evora (4% if we only count the sports cars) . I can't see why that shouldn't happen. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!