Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My first yellow badged Lotus - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My first yellow badged Lotus

ChrisJ

Well I've finally gone and done it and bought myself an Excel (again)

As the title says, my first yellow badged car - my Turbo Esprit is black badge and my previous Excel in the 1990s was the BCA thing!.

It's going off to GST to have it's belts & fluids done and will be my daily(ish) driver.

1989, Monaco white, half leather interior

LE3_zps6aafc083.jpg

LE1_zps6a8c6576.jpg

LE2_zps60753f9d.jpg

LE4_zpscbe667d0.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

It has three different make 225s on it.

It is in really good condition. My previous was a black 87 SE - sadly didn't seem to have lasted too long after I replaced it with a 1980 Range Rover.

Pete, it's the best colour as well :thumbsup:

• Gold FFM

Very nice! Looks great. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Bibs: Yep, it's the emissions. If it's made after '75, it's got to pass tailpipe emissions tests as well as (and this is the real PITA) a visual inspection and all of the original smog equipment has to be there and untampered.

The federal regs allow cars older than 25 years to be imported, but the additional California regs don't allow it.

On the other hand, Golden Gate Lotus Club had a track day Monday at Laguna Seca, Sunny, clear, 23ºC... but no Excels there!

Steering wheel yes - it has the centre piece (a padded foam thingy) on it now - the garage selling didn't know what it was :) Although I must say, it looks quite nice without it. 

Gear knob - don't know, Looking around the internet, looks like it should be round, so good spot.

Chris

I think I prefer the previous "slotted" wheels. These ones look like one side is going forward, the other back. I guess they will grow on me.

Chris

After my thread about the steering wheel badge I was wondering about the nose badges. To be honest I thought I knew the answer but recently looked it up and realised I dont know when they did what nose badges. I know there is a load of old tosh about black badges but one site said all Lotus after 1968 had black badges fitted. Well I know thats not true as the modern cars have the yellow and green classic badge. So when did they return to this badge?

Just curious you know...

Buddsy

As far as I know, the black/silver 'ACBC' nose badge was introduced on the Elite in '74 and continued across the range up to the introduction of the Wickens/BCA badge (events from then onwards are covered in  Kimbers' post).

I went non-standard on my '81 Elite and fitted the yellow/green badge cos I think its prettier!!

ATB Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Getting excited now.

It has tax, MOT & insurance, and is with Gerald having the belts etc. done.

Hope so, will hear tomorrow if it is just a straight forward service.

Got the complication of having to get the Esprit back up to Gerald as it is stuck in first gear. He might trailer the Excel down and go back with the Esprit ... if so then it may or may not be Thursday, depends on their schedule.

Here's an S1 Esprit with a Yellow/Green nose badge, so the tosh of all cars since 1968 have Black/Silver is just that - tosh.

This car is back on the road - MOT expires 29/05/15, well done in rescuing it.

Chris

Won't be here this week, as it isn't quite a straight forward service. Hopefully the following week.

Chris