Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Baby needs a new set of shoes..... - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Baby needs a new set of shoes.....

My car originally came with Goodyear Eagle GT tires and Goodyear no longer makes them. The sizes I have a 195/60R15 in the front and 235/60R15 in the back. I suspect that the wheels may be different front and rear with the rear wheels being wider but I'm not sure.

The tires are 10 years old! There are no cracks/dry rot in the tires but I'm sure they are still unsafe and are now "maypop" tires. Looks like I'm getting rid of the car soon (too bad as it's a good example of an Esprit) but I will probably sell it to someone I know so I won't let it go with crappy tires. Besides I only have $10K  invested in this thing.

I would like to stay with the stocks wheels on my car (I like it original) but I am willing to change up the tire sizes and it may give the car a  more aggressive looking stance.

Since I can't get the original brand tires anymore I might as well get something super sticky to put on it. It's not like a put a lot of miles on my car.

Any tire size suggestions? (I don't want to get into a tire brand discussion here that's been hashed out before). Any pics for Stevens with the different tire sizes with the stock wheels?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I'm on my way to work on my buddy's 83 Esprit right now! (He has 25 year old Goodyears) Perhaps I will give him my old ones, it would be a big upgrade for him!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been tilting at the tire windmill for a year now. :turned:

You are not going to find an "uprated" tire in an equivalent 15" rear-tire size.  And, even the "downrated" H rated tires that are available are crappy.

a few years ago, Lotus recommended a downsize in the rear, to 225/60-15 from the OE 235-60. Even that size is getting difficult to find in matched sets. Vredestein makes some.  

http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/summer/sportrac-5/info/

There is a fellow over on LotusTalk who has created OE-styled 17" wheels (S4s sizes) but if you are selling I don't expect you want to upgrade.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Ive just found that thread on the guy whos had the wheels made, they look good, no photo on the car yet, im really interested in those, ive got some S4 wheels but havent put em on yet

If he had the wheels made I'm assuming they look the same but are 16 inch / 17 inch? Is that correct? 

Some of the VW guys had the VW Rabbit/Golf "Snowflake" wheels made a few years back to a bigger diamenter with more offset. They looked factory and provided a more aggressive stance and made tire choices much easier. THey were cheap too. About 350$ each.

Anyone know about the wheel thing?

I never thought of going down a size in tires but I have to say the the Lotus rear tires do look a little tall.

Buddsy any chance of postng a photo or two of the car with the new tyres on to show the profile, width etc on the car? I'm nettled with the fact you say these new ones look wider than the Pirellis they replaced

If he had the wheels made I'm assuming they look the same but are 16 inch / 17 inch? Is that correct? 

They are 17" front and rear.  Width 8" front, 10" rear.

10940443_10206099389069725_7128569104432

The set shown has rear offsets for the Citroen - trans cars (inboard rear brakes) but supposedly can also be prepared for the Renault trans cars (Outboard brakes).    They can be had in painted or powdercoated finishes.   Cost before shipping is about $2,700 USD, the set...

Here's the original Topic...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/custom-wheels-retro-mod-idea-241858/

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

ho_a6_ci2_l_2_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_

Hoosier R7 245/50R15 Rear  & 205/50R15 In the front. Matching set. They are DOT approved but is designed for Road Racing. It would be nice to actually wear out a set of tires rather than letting them dry rot off the rim. $900 for the set.

Will these fit on the car? Should handle a tad better too if the rims can handle them.

Any Thoughts?

Good idea or bad idea? I only put about 2000 miles year on my car. (that's about 3200 kilometers yearly for you guys who live in the real world)

I just fitted the Vredesteins all round. I replace rear Pirelli's which were 235/60 for the 225/60 but when I had the Vredesteins fitted they were actually wider than the Pirellis.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/71785-tyres-for-turbo-esprit/?p=554595

Buddsy

Those are not available in the USA. I did see these however. They are cheap and would last a long time.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=75113562.135.16259&Cookie=froogle-CJLr1vSRiMQCFQeRaQodmTYAYg&sowigan=&Breite=195&Quer=60&Felge=15&second_size=1&Breite2=225&Quer2=60&Felge2=15&Speed=V&kategorie=6&LoadRange=&Marke=Accelera&ranzahl=2&search_tool=second_size&tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&suchen=View+Tires

They are 17" front and rear. Width 8" front, 10" rear.

10940443_10206099389069725_7128569104432

The set shown has rear offsets for the Citroen - trans cars (inboard rear brakes) but supposedly can also be prepared for the Renault trans cars (Outboard brakes). They can be had in painted or powdercoated finishes. Cost before shipping is about $2,700 USD, the set...

Here's the original Topic...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/custom-wheels-retro-mod-idea-241858/

Group buy anyone???? Id really like these

• 2 months later...

Those 17" sound like a plan. What tire combo would I be looking for with them on a SE ?

Im sick looking for a tire on this car with stock wheels. Its seriously dangerous to run 5 years old Kumhos and Dunlops, I decided after a couple of near misses that its time to do something ...

Edit:

Looks like its hard to get a matching set for the stock wheels, I have been eyeballing a set of BF Goodridge GForce Comp2 in 255/50ZR16 The closest thing there is for the fronts is 195/50R15 ... Way too small.

Edited by rotaryspeed

Shop for S4s tire sizes. There are six or seven manufacturers' choices available in the USA.

My plan is to use 215/40 -17 front, 245/45-17R.

I'm awaiting the originator's fitment onto his '88.  Won't happen for a couple weeks as he is competing in One Lap of America...

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Those 17" sound like a plan. What tire combo would I be looking for with them on a SE ?

Im sick looking for a tire on this car with stock wheels. Its seriously dangerous to run 5 years old Kumhos and Dunlops, I decided after a couple of near misses that its time to do something ...

Edit:

Looks like its hard to get a matching set for the stock wheels, I have been eyeballing a set of BF Goodridge GForce Comp2 in 255/50ZR16 The closest thing there is for the fronts is 195/50R15 ... Way too small.

I had the Gforce Comp2 on my previous SE, very happy with them. At the front I had Dunlop Sp9000 in stock size, 215/50ZR15.

Now running on Toyo's, but would replace with BFG/Dunlop when needed.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Dangerous running 5 year old Kumhos? Dude I'm running 97 tyres on my SE and the original 96 factory tyres on my V8. Imagine how I feel. I'm also getting kinda pissed off looking for tyres.

I'm looking at 205/50R15 and 245/50R16 Kumho KU31s but having issues finding the rear set - tyre wizard supposedly has them in stock in the UK but they won't reply to my mails. Might go for the BF Goodrich rears but mixing brands feels a bit meh...

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8