Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S? - Page 5 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S?

Can anyone give me the dimension of the original front speaker grille and the hole it sits in. I’m away and going to order some speakers and stuff. As I read the focal ones are too large.

thanks 

mark

The focals fit perfectly, as does the pioneer sub.

the sub can be stuck on with velcro, doesn’t budge at all and I remove it for track days.

if you look at the dimensions of the focals - any other same size speaker will fit.

1 hour ago, BatMobile said:

The focals fit perfectly, as does the pioneer sub.

But do the grilles supplied with the focals fit? I know the speakers do.

thanks

@BatMobile Hi thanks for the answer.

I was looking to fit a better pair of Focals, but I would need to use the Focal grille because of adjustable whatsits fitted.

If anyone has the sizw would be grateful.

thanks

Yeah I did George, had Toby do my sub install for me.

i then switched the standard speakers to Focals.

for me it finished the system off and gave nice clarity to the mid/high ranges. 

Happy for you to have a listen if we can sort a date before you decide. 

On 03/04/2018 at 18:53, Mark030358 said:

@BatMobile Hi thanks for the answer.

I was looking to fit a better pair of Focals, but I would need to use the Focal grille because of adjustable whatsits fitted.

If anyone has the sizw would be grateful.

thanks

focal grilles does not fit to the exige. you have to keep the oem grilles. 

the focal plastic support does not fit also. use the oem. I follow the @PeterSweden guide :) and apply the same strategy for isolation.

cool, thanks for the info. Also interesting post re the JL speakers too.

thanks to all.

regards

Mark

So I had focals, updated HU with BT and Hands Free alot with an alpine sub. All sound proofed. All fitted by Toby, lovely guy and did an amazing job couldn't fault him or his work. 

Pics attached! 

Dave 

MyCollage_1.png

• Like 2

On 07/04/2018 at 17:45, GFWilliams said:

Has anyone done a sub install then later changed to Focals?

I have installed a sub in the footwell and am really happy with the audio now, so just wondering how much of a change the Focals can make...

I can't answer that question, as I did my speakers first (albeit Infinity Kappas rather than focals), but can say that the combination of new speakers plus enclosing the rear of the speakers (as per the comments earlier in this thread) made a huge difference in the sound quality. I think making / fitting enclosures mades as much, if not more difference, IMHO. You may have already done this, in which case ignore me!!

Phil.

On 07/04/2018 at 17:45, GFWilliams said:

Has anyone done a sub install then later changed to Focals?

I have installed a sub in the footwell and am really happy with the audio now, so just wondering how much of a change the Focals can make...

I did this.  The sub alone made a huge difference, but I could tell the standard Alpine front speakers were lacking any real clarity / depth.

I then changed them for the Focals, with SilentCoat ‘cups’ underneath as enclosures and that made a significant further difference, well worth it.

I have rear speakers too (replaced with Infinity Kappas) and I find that the Focals in the front can now be used to properly balance the sound front to rear, whereas the Alpines couldn’t, they lacked clarity and punch.  I have tried it with the sound faded to front only, and it still sounds great.

I can’t recommend the whole sub and speaker upgrade enough.  Mine now sounds very good indeed to my ears.

• 5 months later...

I think this is next on my list of mods, doing a 3 hour commute gets boring and with my roof/windows not 100% wind proof I'm getting a lot of wind noise.
Radio isn't cutting it anymore, its tinny and lacks any "quality" to it. Feels like I'm playing music through my phone!

I'll adjust the roof and wndows more to try and save my ears, but this will be my next mod :) Probably just a sub for now, then maybe front and rear speaker replacaments too, if the head unit can take that.

Thanks for all your input guys, definitely be using Shocksaway too. Not willing to wire things in myself :P

• 9 months later...

I considered upgrading to the Focal 100AC front speakers, but thought it would be nicer to do a better setup while the dash top is away for trimming (which is a good opportunity to cut holes for tweeters).  I’ll post more photos when everything is back together, but I went for Focal ES100K which are two way component speakers (so separate tweeter). 

The speakers were quite a lot more money (£260 vs £80) but they should have a lot more clarity and punch. Of course, it’s diminishing returns with speakers, but you do tend to get what you pay for. (Plus these speakers look nicer and are yellow!)

To do things properly, I have also added a Focal Impulse 4.320 amp to give them some power.

This combined with the sub I have in the footwell sounds amazing. Honestly much better than the Burmeister in my Mercedes!

8E9B2511-9A4D-45BD-AEDC-F193C2736A6D.thumb.jpeg.fcfb15a7d0d52daa226bf598a9d8e966.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

Amazed they aren't liquid yellow 🤣

They soon will be!

I have to agree with George - I have the Focal 100AC in the front, Infinity Kappa in the rear, plus a cheap Kenwood sub in the passenger footwell.  The whole lot sounds massively better than any “premium” audio upgrade I’ve ever had on a BMW, Audi etc.

17 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

Amazed they aren't liquid yellow 🤣

Being below the windscreen I’m actually a little concerned about glare. Hopefully the grills cover them enough, if not I’ll have to get creative and find a solution...

@Daveb99 - I also have the cheap Kenwood sub in my passenger footwell. Unfortunately it seems that the better quality subwoofers are all bigger and therefore won’t fit!

i decided to leave the rear speakers for now, I might even remove them as I’m not sure they’re needed when there’s a sub, plus they’re fitted into a thin bit of plastic trim which can move a bit which won’t be helping sound quality!

• Like 1

My oem speakers sometimes glare up, really annoys me! Hope it all works well, excited to see the finished results - I need to have mine replaced at some point. Have an intermittent issue with the left speaker. Sometimes crackles for days on end but has now been fine for 3 weeks. Bastard. I guess it's a good excuse to drive with the exhaust as music instead!

Lots Of Trouble Usually Stupid -.- 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would like to place focal lengths in the front, but no way to remove the protective grid, I try to lift it or to turn it, I even used the following tools to be sure of damaging anything. No way out.

https://www.cdiscount.com/bricolage/outillage/assortiment-de-4-tournevis-mini-crochets-ke65650/f-166010205-ken3664223001007.html#mpos=1|mp

there is a trick? 

Edited by ratmbe

Yeah it comes out but is separate - 2 pieces, I tried to leverage the whole lot and had the same issue. 

Will try and take a pic if someone doesn’t beat me to it

the grid just needs to be pulled up from several different sides and it will pop out