Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Receiver drier for S4s - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Receiver drier for S4s

I got round to fitting the new receiver drier, only to discover that they're different. The one that came out is the silver Sanden unit, the new on pe that was supplied with the compressor is the black one.

I haven't gone any further than taking the new one out of its box, so does anyone know if it's compatible? There are inlets and outlets on it, and what looks like a Schrader valve, plus a male blanking plug.

image.jpg1_zpsg8yukodr.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsjftauomz.jpg

image.jpg4_zpswu5pri6l.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsvh6aawb5.jpg

Margate Exotics.

The OEM Sanden one is around £80 from SJ's and I never managed to find another source, even Sanden tried, so brought one for around a tenner which didn't have the sight gauge but the switch did screw onto the same place as the Sanden one. The fittings are a smaller size than we seem to use as standard here. Ill try and find the part number I used.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Hi Ian

The receiver drier I fitted was a four seasons #33403 like this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131435197048

More than I paid but seems harder to source in the UK.

Worth a read of this topic http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/58692-gt3-aircon-service/#entry463619

While your replacing everything I would consider changing the expansion valve too

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Many thanks.

I called the guy who supplied the kits and he said it was the receiver/drier specified to go with the compressor. He's going to do a bit of legwork, and I'm expecting a call back from him today. I just don't want to fit something that (a) doesn't fit, and (b) doesn't suit. He's a pro, so he should know his stuff.

Ultimately, the thing must physically fit, have the correct connection for the gauge, and it must suit the system. I have a small amount of knowledge on the subject, but I'm not an expert.

Margate Exotics.

The Four seasons one is a drop in replacement for the Sanden one , in physical size for the bracket and for both in and out connections/low pressure switch, obviously you loose the sight gauge and it's slightly heavier too not being alloy.

(null)

Ta.

I spoke to my air-con man, and he's puzzled, he still maintains that he supplied the correct one, but suggested that if I'm concerned, then I should go for an original Sanden replacement, assuming they're available. I just checked SJ's site, and neither of those they have listed look like the Sanden alloy original, though. Maybe they're simply not available now, and we have to use the alternatives? I don't know the criteria for them, but assume they need to be a specific capacity (in their internal media) to match the system being used.

Anyway, I shall have another look at what I have, and if it's a non-starter, I'll order the Four Seasons one.

EDIT: Has anyone got a part number for the Sanden? I can't read mine, it's so worn.

Margate Exotics.

I got mine from AlpineAir by Hanger Lane: http://www.alpinair.co.uk

If you get stuck let me know and I could pop down there one lunch time!

Had a look at the new one, it's a different diameter for a start, which means it probably won't fit the bracket. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I tried calling Sanden UK, but no one was answering the phone.

Margate Exotics.

You can try this guy, he drew a blank for me a few years back but worth a shot.He was quite helpful

Steve Gilliver

Manager ~ European Aftermarket

Sanden International (Europe) Ltd

steve.gilliver@sandensie.co.uk

Even found you the part number

This might be irrelevant to the conversation, but I thought I'd lost the sight glass when I fitted my new one.... however the sight glass was underneath the round disc of masking tape that they cover it up with during the painting process :hope:

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

Where have you looked, then?

Everywhere, a long time ago, I think I even posted a thread with pics and a partial Sanden code (mine rubbed off too). I got a drier in the factory sale listed as for "Esprit" and when it arrived it was the V8 variety, can't imagine why they are different? SJ sportscars have the right one for the 4 cylinder cars it seems but £100 delivered is ridiculous (and it looks like they have stripped identifying marks off them as usual!)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 2 weeks later...

I called Alpinair with the Sanden part number, he said he could identify it, told me its was 33232, and said £57.60 to the door. I just fitted it, and the inlet and outlet connections are too large. To say the least, I am not best pleased, but will speak to him tomorrow.

Margate Exotics.

I called Alpinair with the Sanden part number, he said he could identify it, told me its was 33232, and said £57.60 to the door. I just fitted it, and the inlet and outlet connections are too large. To say the least, I am not best pleased, but will speak to him tomorrow.

As I mentioned, I took my Sanden S1440-A0030 in to show him and he took it away and came back with the four seasons #33403 as a direct replacement several minutes later, that was 2 or 3 years ago though. It fitted and AFAIK still working.

I've called the bloke at Alpinair twice a day, every day, to see if he's found a suitable replacement. Finally I'd had enough, phoned this morning, and he admitted he couldn't get one. So I've told him he can arrange to have the one he sent me collected. What a waste of time (Chris - not your fault, mate).

I've spoken to Pete at PNM, he's on the case. And Sparky's going to measure his nuts for me.

Margate Exotics.

I had the Sanden receiver drier threads indentified by an hydraulics company this morning as 9/6" UNF, however the drier I was supplied with has 5/8" UNF thread. Hence the Four Seasons one that Chris Internets recommended would not have fitted anyway, and I imagine the later GT3 and V8 cars had that larger 5/8" fitting. To confirm, Sparky measured the pipe nuts on his GT3, and as expected, they're 0.75" across flats, those on my 1995 car were 0.65" across flats.

The other issue is that the hydraulics guys knew of no female/male adaptor which would do the job. This leaves me with two options: Either re-use the old Sanden unit, or change the pipes. I don't know what kind of job it is to replace those pipes, but if it's anything like the majority of things, it'll be a right old ballache, and I am extremely reluctant to pull the car to pieces. I am also reluctant to reuse the old Sanden unit, as it's 20 years old and the recommended replacement dates for receiver driers I've seen are coming in at around 7 years.

Pete at PNM is still on the case, and there may be some mileage in manufacturing an adaptor, but that is tricky as the fittings use o-ring seats, rather than compression/conical.

Margate Exotics.

If SJs units are indeed lotus originals are they the ultimately the best (and expensive) option? Or do these things degenerate with age even if not used?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream