Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Esprit?! - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Esprit?!

It's a gret tactic, if yuo really don't want people to see something you either lock it away in somewhere with no windows, or move it off site.

If you want people to think they've seen something, then partially hide it.

I feel reasonably confident that you could creat a mock up of a new car, being hidden by a thin sheet using a car with the right wheelbase, and a few bits of card held on with gaffer tape. then just drape something over it, and all people can see are the hight points, wings, corners etc. They're happy they've seen comething they shouldn't, you're happy they haven't seen what you didn't want them to look at.

Andy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laughing: :laughing: Don't you love my old man!! This always used to happen in the old days when he was there. Give them just enough to keep the interest up but never show the car! :laughing:

For all we know it's the old cancelled design, but hey! We're still talking! :veryangry:

He's a right tease is that Mike Kimberley bloke! :thumbsup:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

• Gold FFM

serious or not, i hope the "all new" gets not those uncovered wiper-blates ! Not only the restrictions in case of front accident what i mention but also the aerodynamic problems seen with the traditional Esprit (especially those with the big Valeo-Renault Twingo system...)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Quote from Mike Kimberley, CEO at lotus:

"It's obviously a great looking car, but it is not the replacement Esprit currently under development at Hethel and testing globally. It is actually nothing to do with Lotus..."

Too bad, I really like it. Since it is right-hand drive, yet being tested on the continent, I wonder whose it is?

regards,

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Dunno but..................... :):):thumbsup::blink: ..........grid. So now you know!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

From what I can tell, I WANT ONE !!!!!!!Almost looks like a mock-up on a Gallardo base, but still I WANT ONE !!!! :lol:

:laughing: :laughing: Don't you love my old man!! This always used to happen in the old days when he was there. Give them just enough to keep the interest up but never show the car! :laughing:

For all we know it's the old cancelled design, but hey! We're still talking! :fun:

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Looks like what's under that cover is the old V8 Esprit mule with the super square body panels.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I'm quite concerned with the pricing... I know that the Esprit new is around $85K-$90K(US dollars) or 45K(GBP) and the news out there is it will now cost $130K(USD) or $65K (GBP).... Is this true??

The amazing thing about Lotus is that the regular guy can afford one new or maybe used but once you play the $130K game... then even used it will be at Lambo prices.. One can buy a used Modena or Gallardo for that price. Should they rethink the pricing so that it has Noble pricing instead of Gallardo pricing...???

All of the magazine articles quote the Esprit at around

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I'm quite concerned with the pricing... I know that the Esprit new is around $85K-$90K(US dollars) or 45K(GBP) and the news out there is it will now cost $130K(USD) or $65K (GBP).... Is this true??

The U.S. dollar is in the toilet these days and if the trend continues until the new Esprit's introduction, the car will be well over US$ 140,000. Still, to many people who buy exotics, that's not a lot of money. Even in this quaint section of the country I regularly see F430's and Gallardos.

For the Europeans, the low value of the dollar is giving them an excellent opportunity to snatch up those well preserved classics in the western U.S. at bargain prices.

regards,

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

autocar

Spy shots of a disguised Lotus prototype wearing an old Esprit body disguise have emerged from a snow-bound cold weather test centre in Sweden. What's more, it seems that this mystery Lotus isn't a mule for the forthcoming 'Eagle' GT, as first thought; it's actually a powertrain development car for the next Esprit.

This mule has given us a clue as to the origins of the engine that's likely to power 2010's hottest British sports car too. DVLA records matching its number plate reveal that it's powered by a 4.4-litre V8. Since Lotus sources have advised Autocar that BMW will probably supply the engine for Hethel's all-new flagship, it's likely that this new Esprit is packing a tuned, 500bhp version of Munich's new 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 engine, as seen in the new X6 crossover SUV.

New Esprit: engine by BMW + handling by Lotus = Hethel's best ever?

BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer has publicly stated that his company wants to sell more engine technology to third parties. On top of the financial gain, BMW will score strong PR points in Britain by providing engines for Lotus.

BMW

• Gold FFM

Don't know about 'spy' shots - I would say more like publicity shots to keep the interest flowing and the conversation/guessing going.

Interesting though.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

the question of engine is more related to the marked it is made for. But what does me interest most is something of the general conception. Is it a all Aluminium-based chassis (with light weight wishbones and so on..). Is the gearbox longitudinal mounted, does it will have a boot-space in the rear, is the handbrake in the center or again in those impracticable mounted position. Question after question, but to see the chassis on the last picture gives me some optimism -it looks as if it will have a sort of aluminium chassis Hey!

If by chassis in the last pic you mean the slotted metallic section that the exhaust exists through, I'd guess that's just a air deflection piece.

If the new Esprit is based on extruded aluminium as is the Elise & Europa, I'd have thought any mule will have a lot of work done in order to mount a fibreglass bodied car that's designed to sit on a steel backbone onto an aluminium floor-pan. However the idea of a decent engine, that isn't so heavy as to completely upset the weight distribution of an old Esprit is a good thing.

And yes, spy shots like this are probably not "spy", but they achieve what you said about interest, they also help Lotus (and other makers who do the same) achieve a reasonable relationship with the motoring magazines, they can get pics in that keep the readers happy, while Lotus only have limited, controlled info getting out.

I'd say pics like these are a win-win-win (Lotus-Autocar-public).

• Gold FFM

believe me , i can see difference between a mesh for the exhaust and those crossbar between the wishbones :cheers:

(as an mechanic and engineering student..)

So look deeper inside, if i use some type of photo-shop it looks like a different chassis layout in opposition to the typical Esprit one, in my eyes...

If a BMW engine was good enough for the McLaren F1, it's good enough for me.

No way can the projected sales of a car like the Esprit justify a bespoke engine. The cost is too high. Even the $600,000 Pagani uses a Mercedes engine. If they used a specially designed engine and gearbox in the Esprit (or Eagle) the cost would push the price of the car way above the figures that have been talked about and plenty of people on here have already said that's too high.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

More news from Norfolk today as we hear that BMW are providing the powerplant for the next generation 'Esprit' with the new 4.4 twin-turbo V8.

The new BMW X6 will see this engine first where it will push out 420bhp however, Lotus don't think that's enough and they suggest that their version will deliver over 500bhp

There have been a few spy pictures of a 54 plate car wearing the old Esprit body and Autocar claim this is the testbed for the new Esprit powertrain, rather than for 'Project Eagle' as many thought. We can't show these pictures for copyright reasons, but there's nothing to stop PH readers doing a quick Google search!

PistonHeads are smiling into our morning coffee at the thought of two new Lotus appearing soon, well done to the guys at Hethel, good luck and we can't wait to hear more.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17619