Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Getting ready for engine managment - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Getting ready for engine managment

• 4 weeks later...

Love this :devil:

Do you have a build thread for it somewhere?

I'd like to know a bit more about something you mention earlier in this thread, about cross member and "packaging" in the engine bay.

And especially one item of packaging: Exhaust manifolds and system...

46 minutes ago, saggitarius said:

I'd like to know a bit more about something you mention earlier in this thread, about cross member and "packaging" in the engine bay.

Will take some pictures tomorrow of the Crossmember and engine mounts I've made. The mounts are fail safe in design and keep the engine firmly in position to avoid the supercharger pulley coming through the rear screen

Packaging in the engine bay started with keeping the drive belt as compact as possible and giving maximum wrap on the important pulleys. If you look at the picture at the beginning of the thread you can see how I've routed it.

By doing the drive belt like this it gave enough room for the hoses to pass either side and we'll away from any rotating parts.

All electric cables run together away from heat sources and again any rotating parts. 

Fuel supply and return take the shortest possible route and again avoid any proximity to manifolds and rotating parts. 

Will try to get pictures of everything I can tomorrow.

Next stage is to design and build the exhaust system . I have to use the standard manifolds as not enough clearance to the chassis tubes to have a 4 into 1. 

Give him time , development is a process of stages. Until it goes on the dyno & scales he wont have the balance and power data to calculate suspension requirements..  

Nice work Paul,  As someone said you should start a thread with all the spec and build details / pic's... Would make a great read..  well done...  

• Gold FFM

I am loving that - the dash looks ace - the engine sounds amazing.

really hope you get to brooklands - I really want to see it ?

Only here once

4 hours ago, Guy W Johnson said:

The 4.6 engine you put in the lotus, How much does it way?

What have you done or going to do to the suspension to compensate for the extra weight?

Guy

The engine is all aluminium. I used a crane rated at 500kg on its maximum reach to put the engine and gearbox as one unit in. 

It has avo coil overs on it. At present I'm using rear springs rated for the v8 esprit as a base setting . As changes said it will have to go on a chassis dyno once it's finished to calculate correct spring rates. 

• Gold FFM

One job at a time - you will never eat an elephant in one go :respect::respect::respect:

and it sounds ace - even with no exhaust..... ?

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

I am loving that - the dash looks ace - the engine sounds amazing.

really hope you get to brooklands - I really want to see it ?

Thanks for the feedback about the dash. It's also a sat navigation and forms part of a security system . 

Can select different types of gauges etc and even check O2 readings from each bank of cylindersIMG-1456082382406-V.thumb.jpg.7dc82682f0IMG-1456082382406-V.thumb.jpg.7dc82682f0

IMG-1456082447639-V.jpg

• Like 1

On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 22:23, saggitarius said:

20160309_173727.jpg

Thank you!

I was first trying to figure out the angle of the picture, but it seems that I'm looking at bolted frame parts (crossmember?) and a Bosch oil filter with its bracket in there.

On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 22:23, saggitarius said:

That's correct the cross member spans from where the original engine mounts bolt to the chassis. 

These are the mounts before I fitted them. The logic is as if they fail the engine can't move too far as the bolt through the bush is encased within the the circular section 

IMG-1456157712855-V.jpg

15 hours ago, cobraesprit said:

That's correct the cross member spans from where the original engine mounts bolt to the chassis. 

These are the mounts before I fitted them. The logic is as if they fail the engine can't move too far as the bolt through the bush is encased within the the circular section 

IMG-1456157712855-V.jpg

Looking great, i would of added some small triangle brace sections though if you had the room.  what you have done with the tube within a tube is a good idea

and will add a fair bit of strengh. :)    You will also be suprized how much the gearbox mounts hold the lot in place also, when moved the my black v8 project 

on a flat bed it just had the gearbox mounts as i had not made the engine mounts, stuck a bit of wood under the sump on top of the crossmember still in situ

after 100 mile journey !    Even if worse case happened as long as you clearance from your chassis cross member to bottom of sump is not too much distance

the engine would just drop a bit and hopefully not damage anything.  

look forward to seeing this on the road soon :)

• Like 1

A