Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
X180 turbo releasing exhaust gas from (?) with choke - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

X180 turbo releasing exhaust gas from (?) with choke

benjamincalleja

When you're undoing the bolts don't put too much tension on them if they don't release. Give me a call and I'll bring over my oxy set. I can adjust the flame down to jeweller's size which works well for rusty and seized bolts and has never let me down.

DanR

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Take advantage of the help from Danny. Great bloke to assist you. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Until I have time to do this what do you think about a high temp sealant around the join.  This one attached is a sodium silicate (liquid glass) product good for 1000 degrees.  I would have to have the car on boost for ages to reach that which I never do.  http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Permatex-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer-80mL.aspx?pid=129932#Recommendations

• Gold FFM

Sealants are good for proving a point - but never really work for very long at all.

do the job once and right - you will be glad of it.

Only here once

Thanks dude that's my issue though - It could be a few months until Dan and I can catch up (even though we live a few suburbs away in Sydney, that's life!) I was thinking this could be a few months quick fix?  Makes me wonder if I even need to fix it any time soon, the exhaust obviously makes enough boost even with the leak as I drove it today it's fine as far as I can tell, with all windows down I don't notice the fumes haha.  Tough with the cabin sealed, though full aircon (mine works somehow?!) and fans it keeps most of it out.   I'm still worried about the full boost engine rattle noise but when I think about it it's done it for at least a year now and nothing has come it it, even had it on the dyno and power is fine and no suspicious coolant goo so no head gasket worries, compression test is within spec and close % of each cylinder.  Maybe it's like a diesel and just rattles a bit at boost?  My new Tiguan diesel makes the EXACT same noise under acceleration - even if it's knock I've been smashing the esprit this past year and nothing has happened.   When I say smashing really I mean each drive is 80% normal and 20% full blast........#maybeimjustparanoid?

As above, I tried the sealant thing. Then dismantled and used proper gaskets.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

I'm still worried about the full boost engine rattle noise but when I think about it it's done it for at least a year now and nothing has come it it, even had it on the dyno and power is fine and no suspicious coolant goo so no head gasket worries, compression test is within spec and close % of each cylinder.  Maybe it's like a diesel and just rattles a bit at boost?  My new Tiguan diesel makes the EXACT same noise under acceleration - even if it's knock I've been smashing the esprit this past year and nothing has happened.   When I say smashing really I mean each drive is 80% normal and 20% full blast........#maybeimjustparanoid?

mine gets driven in a spirited manner ( with occasional arse thrashing ) and I get no rattles or knocks in anyway from the engine area. The boost up is smooth with no knocks. 

Are you sure it's from the engine - and not a heat shield or something else equally random ??

have you checked the tappets ? Im sure over read somewhere that these should be readjusted after some running if the engine have been rebuilt. Sure it was a shim thingy type reference 

Edited by Barrykearley

Only here once

Yep boosting fully. Turns out the sound isn't gone it's just different.  It sounds like chirping I'm pretty sure it's my manifold to extension piece exhaust leak but I'll have the timing checked on the engine just in case as the fuel is perfect, not over Boosting, head gasket is fine so it's either timing issue or the manifold leak. Nice also ordered a new timing ignition valve (green thing) as if that's playing up it could be stuffing my timing around long after the car is warm.