Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ultimate hardware thread - please feel free to add to this post - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ultimate hardware thread - please feel free to add to this post

Peeps. Here is a thread dedicated to correct hardware sizes etc. Please try to keep it succinct. Start the post with which section of the car. If you know what quantity is needed that would be brilliant. I've pillaged other posts and will dump what I have from Wunderkist here. Thank you to the people that have gone to the effort of posting their findings - Particulary Fabian.

FUEL PUMP: BSF 

SEAT RAILS:5/16 UNF.

VENT SCREWS: 4x column shroud and 12x instrument panel retaining screws were No.6 x 1/2" pan head pozi self tappers.

DOORS:
Bolts - 12mm metric 8.8 high tensile steel and 1/2 inch UNF

Backing plate for door handle: UNF PanPozi Philips head 3/16 inch at 3/4 length

Door hinge bolts - 1/2 inch UNF thread, 1/2 inch nut

Countersunk Allen bolts in door lock M6, 25mm and 35 mm long.

Penny washers for door frame M8 hole size

Bolts in end of door beam. M8 x 20 mm

Interior handles, 3 holed plate. 3/16 UNF PanPozI

Bolts thru door frame edge, M5.

Hinge bolts thru top of beam M12.

TAILGATE LATCH: 1/4 BSF thread

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

By door hinge bolts, do you mean this bracket?

Been trying to figure out what nut goes on the welded bolt. Doesn't look like it's metric.

IMG_0706.JPG

Brilliant idea by the way, this thread, should be indispensable for a lot of us scratching our heads with our restorations!

How is it going to work? Will it be wiki style where the original document gets edited, or will we be adding entries ad hoc as we go? Problem with the latter is that if we all get enthusiastic about this and contribute, we'll end up with a thread with a hundred entries and if you're looking for one tiny bit of information you'll have to trawl through the whole thing to find what you're looking for. Generally this is the problem with forums, they're not really set up or formatted to maximise the wealth of knowledge of it's members. 

Edited by Freemason

Up to the moderators. Personally, I believe we should keep it simple and succinct. Leave it as is and people can search around.

I run a wunderlist file with just the relevant info which keeps everything on the one page. 

• 2 weeks later...

BINNACLE

from Fabian: 

Took about two hours to take apart and reassemble. Top tip use 10 mm bolts for the two rear binnacle fixings, with 8 mm thread. Anything smaller is very difficult to bolt back on! 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what size and length bolts hold the gear lever assembly to the chassis? I've managed to misplace mine and fill the threads on the chassis with paint, so before I go forcing anything in there want to make sure it's the correct size and thread pitch.

IMG_2686.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not hardware but a measurement nevertheless. minimum disk thickness measurements. For the record they are:

Fronts: new 13mm. Minimum 11mm.

Rears: new 10mm. Minimum 9mm.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this info needs to be treated with caution. The factory gradually moved from UNF to metric, even on the same model so its impossible to be sure of sizes. Many of the sizes listed thus far are definitely incorrect for my early Turbo. 

In some cases, for example the clutch slave cylinder to bellhousing, it needs a thread gauge to confirm what they used as it seems to be random and damage can occur if the wrong size used. I almost fell into this trap.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Fabians bond car:

I've bought two lower link to chasis bolts in the last three years. It's the wrong size in the parts manual it's 80 mm long! I keep forgetting and ordering the parts manual size! Now at last I'm rderingbthe correct size!

• 4 weeks later...

Fabians gearbox rebuild:

half shaft retaining bolts - The gearbox used 7 mm and 9 mm threads, very annoying! I replaced all the bolts with new. 

Rear bumper retention bolts.

7mm x 30 MM, with penny washers 4 MM thick, 30 MM diameter, 8 MM

7 minutes ago, Rolls said:

Rear bumper retention bolts.

7mm x 30 MM, with penny washers 4 MM thick, 30 MM diameter, 8 MM

Rear bumper retention bolts in the bin, makes a lovely improvement. 😉