Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Exige Sport 350 - Page 4 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Exige Sport 350

Stephanie

4 hours ago, The Pits said:

I personally prefer the Sport 350 engine cover, keeping the mesh makes it look lighter. The 360 Cups plastic mouldings look heavier to me.

I will be asking for just the louvred tailgate for my car. Claimed weight saving is only 3kg but it feels a lot lighter than that when opening and shutting it.

I can understand wanting it on a track car where every kilo saved is a plus point, but not on a road car. Replacing glass with a cheap piece of plastic (to save a whole 3kg's) just looks like a cost-cutting exercise. It's a big turn off for me.

@The Pits

Hi Jonny,

Just pointing out a small lapsus on your article...

"you really feel involved in the process of driving an Exige 400 fast"...

Wishful thinking at its best? :-)

I do love the gear mechanism being visible, too.

Nice read anyway.

Thanks,

Jorge

Good spot, thanks. Will update asap but locked out at the moment which is frustrating as I've spotted a few typos myself!

1 hour ago, T3Jn said:

Who will be first to enquire if the gear mechanism can be retrofitted?

Chap on Seloc has asked Silverstone already. You may have seen the venting!

I'm going to wait to have a go in one next year. 

7 hours ago, Kalli said:

Lotus aren't going to Geneva this year I believe. The cost of the show is obscene and the company don't have anything worth showing from what i've heard. The Exige 400 won't be ready in time.  

The next version will be the new V6 Cup that will weigh 50 kg less than 350 sports may have 370 hp. The 360 Cup is just a special series of 50 cars.

I think the Exige 400 will be presented in 2017 to Geneva and then put up for sale by September 2017 as my 2018

Over the years ... 1999-2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 ~ 2001-2004 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp ~ 2004-2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI ~ 2005-2008 Honda S2000 ~ 2008-2014 Lotus Exige 240S ~ 2008-2012 Toyota Aygo 1.0 ~ June 2014-January 2015 Subaru WRX STI my 15 ~ 2013-November 2016 Lexus CT200h ~  June 2015-December 2018 Lotus Exige S V6 ~ NOW ~ January 2019 Lotus Exige 410 Sport ~ December 2016 Honda Civic Type R FK2

Interesting how even here, most would be more excited by a 20bhp increase than a 50kg reduction, which of course is 'quicker everywhere'.

If it said 'weight remains 1176kg but the supercharged V6 now makes a stonking 365bhp.' the car wouldn't match the Sport 350.

I don't think the name helps really, something like RS350 or 350LW might have been better.

I underplayed the straight line performance gain because it's hard to tell without a back to back with the V6S and remember I'm more used to the Cup (a comparison with that to follow). Bibs first words when he got out of is we're 'f@€% me that's quick'. Rest assured the new car is a ballistic device and some may well think it feels noticeably quicker than the V6S. The other thing I can't ignore is how quick the V6s's are that I've come up against in my Cup. It's whoever gets on the gas first basically, there's not much between them in a straight line. However all the incremental improvements will come together over a lap as is the case with the Cup, so it will be with the Sport 350. Don't be misled by the name, go and try one for yourself when they hit the dealers. It's a great package.

But before you ask for a retro fit of the gearbox make sure the one you have is set up as well as it can be. Your car would have to be taken to bits to fit the new linkage and good gains can be achieved with the current linkage. I really like the shift in my car, always have. At least we know now why some are better than others.

• Like 1

I was joking about the gear box, I find mine fine. If anything when I drove the 400 I found it a bit heavy.

I would be very interested to see how it compares in performance to the Cup, based on it being the fastest road car round Hethel (assume the 3-11 was tested in race trim), that suggests it's faster than both the the current V6 Cup and 350 Cup.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

49 minutes ago, AndyFoggy said:

The next version will be the new V6 Cup that will weigh 50 kg less than 350 sports may have 370 hp. The 360 Cup is just a special series of 50 cars.

I think the Exige 400 will be presented in 2017 to Geneva and then put up for sale by September 2017 as my 2018

370hp and a 50kg reduction would be a noticeable improvement and far better than a 400hp power hike, fingers crossed.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Pistonheads's thoughts on the new 350 Sport:

http://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/lotus/lotus-exige-sport-350-driven/33440

If I read it right, PH seems to suggest that the way in which DPM works has changed. Or did I misunderstand?

Could you please confirm that there are still three modes (Touring, Sport, Race) and off.

Edit: Just checked in the OP that it maintains the three modes.

Edited by Arregueti
Question checked

1 hour ago, T3Jn said:

I was joking about the gear box, I find mine fine. If anything when I drove the 400 I found it a bit heavy.

I would be very interested to see how it compares in performance to the Cup, based on it being the fastest road car round Hethel (assume the 3-11 was tested in race trim), that suggests it's faster than both the the current V6 Cup and 350 Cup.

No it was supposed to read 'fastest production Lotus' another of the changes I wanted to make. V6 Cup is still quicker but not by much. First locked out of TLF then locked myself out of the Evo. AA on the way. Having a shocker!

Yes DPM is the same. Race mode is now standard along with the rest of what used to be the race pack.

Does anyone know why they've changed the wheel to 10J?  I would have loved to get a spare set of rims for my car to preserve my diamond cut rims.  I've been looking for a set of forged, and these would have been great.

Given the tyre width remains the same I'm wondering if its been done to stop current owners upgrading??  Does anyone know the background here.

Don't know if this has already been posted:

http://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/exige/17120/lotus-exige-sport-350-review-less-weight-sharper-focus-for-former-ecoty-winner

Totally positive review from Evo for once, car compared to a Cayman GT4 obviously it cannot be any other way. For the first time ever (or in a very long time) they l did laud the gearbox!!!

I guess if the improvement on the sport 350 trickle down to the Cup 360 that car would be a logical contender for next year ECOTY But didn't they say that the Cup 360 was going to be a limited edition?!  

• Gold FFM

I'm puzzled by everyone worrying about whether this car is faster or more power than this model etc. I can't even see all the models on the Oz Lotus website. Surely it doesn't really matter? You would get different levels of standard specs and then a different list of options?

Over here, Holden for instance produce the Clubsport Commodore. It comes with various hp options standard. The interior specs alter slightly with each model and then the options differ also.

Is there meant to be a progression of options and hp with each subsequent Lotus model?

Is there a hierarchy of models, that I am not aware of in my ignorance?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

11 hours ago, CTRMint said:

Does anyone know why they've changed the wheel to 10J?  I would have loved to get a spare set of rims for my car to preserve my diamond cut rims.  I've been looking for a set of forged, and these would have been great.

Given the tyre width remains the same I'm wondering if its been done to stop current owners upgrading??  Does anyone know the background here.

Me too. Been waiting for factory forged wheels for ages. No idea why the rears are a half inch wider other than for more grip. I don't think Lotus had any cunning plan to stop owners retro fitting them, on the contrary I'm sure they would have sold quite a few sets. 

I suspect they have found a way to make an existing wheel work rather than commission a new, bespoke design. The original plan may even have been for a wider tyre but cost implications have got in the way.

The Sport 350 looks to me like half of an Evora 400 update. I think the plan at some point was to have all this plus the chargecooled engine but weight and cost were starting to spiral. I think it's actually quite smart to stop the process here and get an improved car out for £55k. The whole hog would surely have started anywhere over £65k and weighed somewhere approaching 1200kg. Lotus have instead raised the spec and performance of the entry level, while keeping the price low.

Having met Jean-Marc Gales I can assure you that he preaches the gospel of St. Colin with considerable zeal which is really encouraging. He comes across as genuinely passionate about the benefits of lightweight. It's the ultimate win-win when it reduces cost as well. So we better get used to less weight being prioritized over more power. Surely we are all in agreement that it is the right thing for Lotus?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

Having met Jean-Marc Gales I can assure you that he preaches the gospel of St. Colin with considerable zeal which is really encouraging. He comes across as genuinely passionate about the benefits of lightweight. It's the ultimate win-win when it reduces cost as well. So we better get used to less weight being prioritized over more power. Surely we are all in agreement that it is the right thing for Lotus?

Hi Pits, I totally agree with you here and bhp is not the be all and end all. I'd be dead chuffed running rings around an over priced, over weight "exotic" in a Lotus costing a quarter of the price with the ultimate driving feel and experience. I really do think the market could come back to Lotus as Porsche et al become more sterile and mass market samesy. Here's hoping anyway....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

12 hours ago, Top cat said:

Are there any pics of the new air-con button and others buttons in that area knocking about. I think Bibs review mentioned they are the ones out of the Evora?.

There are pics of those areas in our review :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.