Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Removable Momo fitted - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Removable Momo fitted

More complicated than I thought it would be, needed some rewiring work to connect horn and disable airbag warning light. Glad I got Ollie to do it at Phoenix - still took him a few hours.

looks and feels better though - slightly smaller wheel at 280mm.

This is the same as fitted to Cup cars from the factory.

Very pleased with it all.

January 2016 055.JPG

January 2016 058.JPG

January 2016 057.JPG

• Like 2

That's just fine

That looks great indeed! Very, very nice.

@Neal H yes its MOT compliant, so long as the airbag warning light has been extinguished (via a resistor/OEM computer etc). It this area a car will only fail an MOT if a safety device is fitted and not working or a warning lamp is active :).

• Like 1

Can you provide some info on the horn arrangement and re-wiring needed for the air bag?

Looking over Dave's kit at Seriously Lotus I can see the B&G and hub, but what else do you need? For example do you need the 'ring' for the horn connection and horn itself? Thanks

As per the pic... 

32_05.gif

www.alias23.com

The way I did mine was sourcing the removable B&G unit and hub from Dave at SL and the wheel and horn push elsewhere (Elise Parts).  Mine (2015 car) needed quite a lot of re-wiring - resistor fitted to stop airbag warning light and horn wiring needed to be extended into hub. Yes you do need an aftermarket horn push button. The diagram above is for the Momo 'Turner' wheel which is different from the 'Team' wheel I went for. Not sure what you mean by 'ring'. If you mean the ring that 4 fits into in the diagram above? then yes if fitting Turner wheel, but would expect that comes with it.

That's just fine

I didn't buy this, maybe this was why my mod was complicated, as it looks like the wiring for the horn.

It didn't come with steering column hub and removable hub from Seriously Lotus, so maybe this is a Lotus part only.

That's just fine

whenever i fit removable steering wheels i always fit number 5.

this is the indicator canceller  and horn contact  (that is via the brass pin that is fitted right across the range.) Visable just underneath the top steering cowl piece bellow the instrument pack.

lives on number 2 http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=1&MDL=40&TBL=6247&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Then all you have to do is fit a 3.3ohms resistor( 13p from maplins)into the air bag connector then source a 12v live from the air bag wire to contact the brass pin.

The earth is via the column.

The rest is easy.

Takes me approx 45mins from start to finish( providing the original wheels pops from the splines easily.!!)..

Mind you i have done a few over the years.

Edited by lotus muncher

Yorkshire's only Main dealer Lotus technician.

22 hours ago, lotus muncher said:

whenever i fit removable steering wheels i always fit number 5.

this is the indicator canceller  and horn contact  (that is via the brass pin that is fitted right across the range.) Visable just underneath the top steering cowl piece bellow the instrument pack.

lives on number 2 http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=1&MDL=40&TBL=6247&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Then all you have to do is fit a 3.3ohms resistor( 13p from maplins)into the air bag connector then source a 12v live from the air bag wire to contact the brass pin.

The earth is via the column.

The rest is easy.

Takes me approx 45mins from start to finish( providing the original wheels pops from the splines easily.!!)..

Mind you i have done a few over the years.

Where are you based ;)

www.alias23.com

• 2 years later...

I got this Momo airbag resistor from demon tweeks.

any suggestions where it actually goes?

and do I cut the horn wires or undo the plug and try to pull them out?

any suggestions much appreciated - this is one job where there doesn’t seem to be much on YouTube that is lotus specific.

starting to think this isn’t the best job for 10pm on Sunday night and I should retreat to the house...

B5DDC2C5-9F2A-4B87-BB19-FAFA57462C06.jpeg

Any suggestions much appreciated!

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 21:27, stratosboy said:

I didn't buy this, maybe this was why my mod was complicated, as it looks like the wiring for the horn.

It didn't come with steering column hub and removable hub from Seriously Lotus, so maybe this is a Lotus part only.

Its an additional part (tick the box if you want I.....)

• 2 years later...
On 30/01/2016 at 21:20, lotus muncher said:

Then all you have to do is fit a 3.3ohms resistor

yes according to lotus muncher's advice above, I didn't fit mine.

• Like 1

That's just fine