Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brake sticking? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake sticking?

Hello everyone!

My esprit is having some sticky brake problems. Callipers seem to be the culprit but I think that this may be beyond my technical ability as I don't know if it needs one rebuilt or something different.

Can anyone recommend a garage/mechanic near to Buckinghamshire I could take my car too? 

Thanks all.

Cameron

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before going to a garage, there are some easy things you can check yourself if you don't mind handling a spanner. Sliding calipers often bind on the sliders, not too hard to get to. Just take the caliper of, clean (and lightly sand if needed), grease and reassemble. If the Turbo is the same as the SE (which I think it is), the front calipers will have 2 sliding pins each, very easy to do. The rear has sliding plates, a bit more complex and more prone to sticking, but easy enough to do yourself if you want to. Just take a good look at how everything is mounted and how it should move. Better still, have a copy of the workshop manual handy.

If the calipers move freely, next take a look at the cylinders. A bit of penetrating oil or WD40 and working the cylinders in (with big pliers or C-clamps) and out usually does the trick.

Good luck,

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Filip. 

Thank you for your response. I shall have a look at what you suggested. I believe the calipers are similar to the se so this may well resolve it. 

My problem is that I don't like to mess with things that I need to stop. If I do something wrong that may result in me not being able to stop is a large fear of mine. 

Thanks again. 

Cameron

It looks a though your car is a 1988 Commemorative?

If so, it uses Toyota front brake hardware.

I'd just replace the calipers (note that LH Esprit fits RH 1983 Toyota Celica Supra). And, replace the rubber brake hoses if your car is original. The hoses could swell on the inside and not release the calipers....

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

If you can bleed brakes you can replace the calipers and hoses.

Buy a vacuum bleeder, ~$25 - $50 in the USA, they do a great job and make bleeding the system easy. (After using one the first time, you'll ask all the neighbors if they want their brakes bled, it's so FUN. )

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

All Commemorative (40th Anniversary) Esprits were pearl white with matching wheels.

My point was that the Celica Supra calipers are available, and quite reasonably priced (at least here in the USA). You could buy a pair of refurbs and stainless brake lines and resolve the problems with one swoop of your wallet. :P

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA