Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is it worth getting my wheels refurbished? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is it worth getting my wheels refurbished?

Hi all,

this is linked to my other thread. When I got my wheels off to clean the inside, I find them in this condition after scrubbing, washing and using wheel cleaner. You can see they look quite rough. Is it worth getting them blasted and repainted (this is 7 years worth of gunk damage)? Does it cost a lot, or should I invest in new alloys, and put these away in storage?

all views welcome

Alex

PICT0868.jpg

And close up

PICT0871.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do get them refurbished I can recommended http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/index.htm.

Not had my Esprit wheels done, they have done Esprit wheels including AWI's, but had other vehicles including my DeLorean refurbished by them, which was

Edited by internets

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

I would get them sandblasted on the inside. After use WUERTH Chrome and Alloy effect spray. Will look like new ! I use the stuff on body parts when refurbishing.

Awesome looks ! :D

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

If the exterior is OK Alex, you could save yourself some cash by cleaning and spraying them up yourself. A flap brush, a bit of wet and dry and careful masking followed by Halfords Silver Wheels and clear lacquer and they'll come up a treat. Then all you need to do is give them a wipe clean on the inside when you wash.

To do a proper job, peel the balance weights off and get them rebalanced afterwards. The wheel design and 5 stud pattern can be a bit of a challenge for some tyre balancers. A couple I went to claimed they couldn't balance them but National in Northwich rebuilt their tyre balancing machine to take mine and did an excellent job.

If the exterior is OK Alex, you could save yourself some cash by cleaning and spraying them up yourself. A flap brush, a bit of wet and dry and careful masking followed by Halfords Silver Wheels and clear lacquer and they'll come up a treat. Then all you need to do is give them a wipe clean on the inside when you wash.

To do a proper job, peel the balance weights off and get them rebalanced afterwards. The wheel design and 5 stud pattern can be a bit of a challenge for some tyre balancers. A couple I went to claimed they couldn't balance them but National in Northwich rebuilt their tyre balancing machine to take mine and did an excellent job.

Hi David,

I might try the DIY refurb on one wheel, if it works out then I can do the rest, the difficult bit is where the nice finish on the outside meets the rough stuff on the interior. Also two of the wheels have a spot of bubbling under the surface, so it may pay dividends in the end to get them completely done. Have you done wheels this way ?

I shall remeber the National tyres tip, have you had new tyres from them?

cheers

Alex

Not had to replace the Esprit's tyres yet. For performance tyres I always find Jim Jeffrey in Warrington are most competitive and they take care when they do the job too.

I did get my TVR wheels refurbished - used Pristine wheels who had an agent in Crewe - they did a good job.

Blimey thats a lot of corrosion or is that all surface stuff.

I'd get them done asap - tbh it doesn't cost an awful lot and with that amount of corrosion will it even start adversly affecting the wheel after a time ? :D

You might find (as with a lot of maintenance) a few pounds now saves you more later.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Blimey thats a lot of corrosion or is that all surface stuff.

I'd get them done asap - tbh it doesn't cost an awful lot and with that amount of corrosion will it even start adversly affecting the wheel after a time ? :D

You might find (as with a lot of maintenance) a few pounds now saves you more later.

Its a mixture of corrosion and hardened brakedust and grime. You can tell the previous owners were interested in looking beyond the shiny outside. I will have to get some axel stands first before I can do them, but they will get done. These cars are too nice to be left unattended.

Alex

Tip - although unlikely in this particular case (cos it's on the inside face), the type of corrosion evident on Alex's wheels is often linked to/exacerbated by the use of overly aggressive alloy wheel cleaners and/or incomplete cleansing after said use. Rumour has it that this character's wheel cleaner of choice being one of the most aggressive...

wonderwoman.jpg

Edited by Tentenths

Alex,

I've got 4 axle stands if you want to nip over and borrow them sometime.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks David, I will probably take you up on the offer come spring. The list of jobs to do so far is

get CN to refit refurbed Catalytic converter (when they get it back), get a C-service done at the same time (dont think one has been done yet, and so a new cam belt is a must really), then start on the wheels.

much appreciated

Alex

I have seen miracles performed with correspondingly higher wet/dry sandpaper and polish. Remove the clear, then go higher with the sand paper all the way up to 2000 grit. It is possible to make the aluminum shine like chrome.

• Gold FFM

Had mine done about 4 years ago. Think the previous owner enjoyed hitting those big granet kerb stones. Especially the nearside with big indentations to the alloy. The whole car looked better after they were done. They came back looking new.

Cosmetically one of the best jobs I've had done.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!