Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Sport 410 - Page 55 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Sport 410

Bibs

This is a bit like fancying a girl and then finding out she's a total s h l a g g ? Does the brand (and the retailer) absolutely no favours imho. I was always taught, when you present something, 'know your audience'. This leaves a bad taste and quite frankly totally puts me off.

In fact, even worse, it gives every potential 'conquest' sale a solid reason not to switch. Lotus marketing need to get a grip of their retailers. Or heaven forbid they sanctioned this abomination? *shudders*.

Edited by Hellers

I'm with @Gm77 get over it guys as to be honest some of the whinging is making you look more childish than the spoilt brat who did the video, obviously in my humble opinion.

Yes, it is annoying that he got several facts wrong - like the carbon ceramics and the keyless comments. I mean, many of you got excited by that useless bloody start button when it appeared on the 400 and actually what does it really add as you still need to put the bloody key in don't you? Are your wrists that tired that not having to twist the key in the ignition is a good thing? My VX220 has a starter button - I put the key in and then twist it to stage 2 to switch on the electrics (as long as I remembered to put it on the battery conditioner between drives otherwise there are no electrics!) and then need to reach a push a button in the middle of the dash to "start your engine" - FFS, really, what is that all about and how is that better than just continuing to twist the key to Stage 3? So it's not as if it's a feature even worth talking about. Don't even get me started about the whinging on here at times re the standard Lotus key not being worthy of an "event" or no use as a substitute when you can't put your willy on the table in a pub!

The video is factually crass. The spotty spoilt oink who created it is just that and guess he just craves attention - a typical spoilt brat of a teenager these days and nothing remarkable there. Probably another teenager who views YouTube as his passport to make pocket money and avoid a proper job - I could be doing the lad a big dis-service here and apologise if I am. 

However, the real positives come when you realise that today's young kids actually like and want to see other young kids make and deliver these videos. They do not want to see a fat, well past it middle aged bloke with a bad 70's hair do, a small middle aged boy band wannabe and an old, flabby 70's throwback geek trying to behave like kids talking about cars in shows like TGT/Top Gear as was. The video is full of enthusiasm for the car and this is a good thing - a young lad talking positively and enthusiastically about a LOTUS in a manner that will make other young people swoon over the 410 and maybe, just maybe, get them pining after their first Lotus as opposed to another prospective bloody Porkpie owner who buys it just so he can get the key out on the table in the pub has he has no willy to show as his he was obviously neutered at birth!  :cry:

It's factually inaccurate but it is publicity that is positive in its own way and very targeted at a specific audience of young impressionable wannabe's and spoiltser's.  Time to move on.

As for putting me off the car, I am again with @Gm77, nothing here to suggest or show the car was abused, in fact the opposite as Aimee was in control the whole time. The only thing that put's me off about that car is the fact that the stitching is yellow to match the brakes but the "interior colour coded pack - harness hoops, door handles, HVAC console etc" used was a greyish silver effect rather than a more appropriate yellow to match the other highlights.  The exterior look of that 410 is just :wub: and the that blue is the mutts.....

I'm off for a drive on the quiet roads of rural Scotland. Hope you guys down south enjoy getting out of 3rd gear at least once today!  :blobfire:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

It's not hard to research a car you're reviewing, and in fact it's more enjoyable reviewing the car if you know about it. He could have done much better I guess is the point, with a little bit more effort than turning up with a camera and some enthusiasm. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

55 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I'm with @Gm77 get over it guys as to be honest some of the whinging is making you look more childish than the spoilt brat who did the video, obviously in my humble opinion.

Yes, it is annoying that he got several facts wrong - like the carbon ceramics and the keyless comments. I mean, many of you got excited by that useless bloody start button when it appeared on the 400 and actually what does it really add as you still need to put the bloody key in don't you? Are your wrists that tired that not having to twist the key in the ignition is a good thing? My VX220 has a starter button - I put the key in and then twist it to stage 2 to switch on the electrics (as long as I remembered to put it on the battery conditioner between drives otherwise there are no electrics!) and then need to reach a push a button in the middle of the dash to "start your engine" - FFS, really, what is that all about and how is that better than just continuing to twist the key to Stage 3? So it's not as if it's a feature even worth talking about. Don't even get me started about the whinging on here at times re the standard Lotus key not being worthy of an "event" or no use as a substitute when you can't put your willy on the table in a pub!

The video is factually crass. The spotty spoilt oink who created it is just that and guess he just craves attention - a typical spoilt brat of a teenager these days and nothing remarkable there. Probably another teenager who views YouTube as his passport to make pocket money and avoid a proper job - I could be doing the lad a big dis-service here and apologise if I am. 

However, the real positives come when you realise that today's young kids actually like and want to see other young kids make and deliver these videos. They do not want to see a fat, well past it middle aged bloke with a bad 70's hair do, a small middle aged boy band wannabe and an old, flabby 70's throwback geek trying to behave like kids talking about cars in shows like TGT/Top Gear as was. The video is full of enthusiasm for the car and this is a good thing - a young lad talking positively and enthusiastically about a LOTUS in a manner that will make other young people swoon over the 410 and maybe, just maybe, get them pining after their first Lotus as opposed to another prospective bloody Porkpie owner who buys it just so he can get the key out on the table in the pub has he has no willy to show as his he was obviously neutered at birth!  :cry:

It's factually inaccurate but it is publicity that is positive in its own way and very targeted at a specific audience of young impressionable wannabe's and spoiltser's.  Time to move on.

As for putting me off the car, I am again with @Gm77, nothing here to suggest or show the car was abused, in fact the opposite as Aimee was in control the whole time. The only thing that put's me off about that car is the fact that the stitching is yellow to match the brakes but the "interior colour coded pack - harness hoops, door handles, HVAC console etc" used was a greyish silver effect rather than a more appropriate yellow to match the other highlights.  The exterior look of that 410 is just :wub: and the that blue is the mutts.....

I'm off for a drive on the quiet roads of rural Scotland. Hope you guys down south enjoy getting out of 3rd gear at least once today!  :blobfire:

I agree with both of you as well, anything which gets the Lotus marque out to a new generation is fine by me. Similarly the whinging on the playground about Seb Delaney's videos etc is pretty embarrassing in my view, at least he's put his money where their mouth is and ordered one! Aimee is also usually very careful about the running in process etc, she let me take her first 400 demo out when my V6 was having its running in service but was sat in the passenger seat and made it very clear that going past 4k or using full throttle was a big no no as it only had 300 miles on at the time. I'd have no issues with buying that car. 

• Like 2

So anything goes then? No quality control, no standards to aim for, copy everyone else on youtube, ham it up for the cameras, say 'INSANE!' a lot, forget the car, be the star! Fake enthusiasm and being zany is more important than being factually correct and honest in your reactions? Well, it's a very modern approach I guess!

I hasten to add that this is a comment on the general trend, not picking on this particular guy or video. As I already said I think he did an admirable job of making an Evora at 30mph entertaining.

I've had quite a few discussions on Youtube, Autocar's Matt Prior seemed to attract a lot of criticism for not whooping and hollering enough and many were happy to admit that they preferred to watch fake enthusiasm than a more honest reaction. I struggle with that but there you have it.

I'm very glad the video isn't putting anyone else off buying that car, I'd hate for Lotus Silverstone to suffer as a result of showing great generosity to help promote an unknown youtuber, but at near £90k I can be picky if I want to be. If I was running the place the answer would be 'no' to a brand new Sport 410, especially when Lotus Silverstone don't have a Sport 410 demonstrator, and are not offering serious buyers the chance to drive them. I can see the risk attached to this guy goofing around in someone else's £90k car but I can't see the potential reward here. Hopefully the opposite will be true and they can charge a premium for what is now a famous Sport 410 'clunge edition' as seen on Youtube!

;)

• Like 2

I'm not saying the video, or its type, are perfect. I just don't think it does any harm. It does also show some passion that I personally would like to see more of in some mainstream videos.

To put it another way, facts and figures tell me what the car can do, but I equally want to know how the car makes me feel.

One of the most memorable drives I've had in my 400 is through the dartford tunnel in 2nd gear, with the windows down. My wife and I were crying with laughter! Knowing that response is possible would get me to test drive a car.

Being frank, if Lotus cars didn't give me that emotional response, I suspect my garage would be far more German.

• Like 1

The video isn't aimed at us. I guess it's about building brand awareness among the teenage generation. On first watch I cringed and thought - "Aimee, what were you thinking!". But then I realised that I'm not the target audience and was mildly amused by it. I don't have a problem with it, and yes, I'd buy that particular car - I didn't see anything to suggest to me that it had been abused. I've bought three cars from Lotus Silverstone - it's a great dealer with great people.

I personally found the The Pits driven review was aimed at me, and frankly was almost enough to make me rush out buy. I'm looking forward to reading the genuine feedback from the couple of owners on here that are in the process of making the move from 400 to 410 :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

It's not hard to research a car you're reviewing, and in fact it's more enjoyable reviewing the car if you know about it. He could have done much better I guess is the point, with a little bit more effort than turning up with a camera and some enthusiasm. 

Research = work, that's where your thinking falls down there @Bibs and these youngsters today really don't like to work.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, Gm77 said:

Being frank, if Lotus cars didn't give me that emotional response, I suspect my garage would be far more German.

Yeah, 'cos German cars provide so much emotion and have so much soul!  lol....

The small print.

Precisely my point Andy - and the reason why I'm lucky enough to have an Elise and an Evora in my garage, and no hint of anything German at all! ?

Greg

1 hour ago, Gm77 said:

Precisely my point Andy - and the reason why I'm lucky enough to have an Elise and an Evora in my garage, and no hint of anything German at all! ?

Greg

top bloke.png

• Like 1

The small print.

I'm with Gm77 and others on this. The video's not to my tastes, but I'm not the target audience and at the end of the day it's just a bit of fun. 

At least this kid is enthusiastic about the car (although a little misinformed perhaps), and has the initiative to actually go out there and shoot the video with everything that entails. Yes, he could have researched better but at least he know's what a 410 is and he's given up time to trek down to Lotus Silverstone and then produce a video. If my 13 year old stepson showed even half of that commitment I'd be happy. Also, when I was his age pretty much everything I did was crap and poorly executed..... who knows, in 10 years time his media business could have taken off and he could be in the market to buy a brand new 3rd generation Evora :)

At the end of the day I got to spend 15 minutes looking at an Azure Blue 410, there are worse things in the world.

Awful vid. Great he was excited, but my 16 & 19 yrs old boys were watching over my shoulder and similarly cringing. They both love passengering in the Evora, and the older one has had a quick shot behind the wheel.

Other than discovering some posh (and lucky) young man likes the 410, I have no idea what anyone (of any age) learned from that? <_<

I think he did an excellent job of the videoing and editing but the spoken content was worthless. Aimee should have corrected him and a retake.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

I was passing B&C today so stopped to take a look at their 410s. And at the risk of a flaming, I can't say that they are for me. I do like the carbon bits, but as far as the seats, interior and tailgate are concerned, I'll keep the 400 thanks. They have a starlight black car and agree with the comment above - the sail panel needs to be carbon as well.

IMHO, The Evora appealed to those like me, who were not catered for by Lotus since they stopped making the Esprit and for whom the Exige/Elise don't appeal as they want more practicality/useable car and I don't see the 410 appealing to this broader audience. 

I absolutely love the wheels though, they are fantastic, especially in the satin black.

Nothing here intended to cause offence or belittle the 410 - just an alternative view from someone less "hardcore". 

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Interesting point of view Colin. I understand where you are coming from and get it and can understand it.

However, from my perspective the 410 is EXACTLY the Evora that I would want. The varbon bits, the seats, the interior (with the colour coding) and the tailgate are all :wub: to my eyes. The 400 is good, but as I've said before my Evora NA plus £40k+ was just too much an upgrade for me to pay.  I'll probably sink the £40k into an Exige 350/360 track car to replace my VX220 in a couple of years as I get more competent on the track.

Good job we're all different as it keeps Lotus going.  

The small print.

Liking Sport 410 is certainly not compulsory. Evora 400 will remain the better choice for some. Good to have done alternative views in the discussion.

:thumbup:

So popped into Silverstone today and sat in the 410. Not for me.  

I can understand the small bucket seats in an Exige, due to lack of space, but the Evora should have a decent depth  bucket seat IMHO.  The seat feels lost in the Evora.   It needs a bucket seat like the 918 versions put into Cayman GT4 or even the bucket I had in my 911 GT3 ClubSport. 

That said, the exterior of the car looked ace with the carbon and I'm sure the driving experience is excellent. 

Instead I popped out in the Exige 350 demo and I forgot how much I love the Exige.  So raw and the speed through the bends is epic.  For me, if you want a track focused car it has to be the Exige.

Got back in the 400 afterwards and it was comfy and smooth.  

Decided I need both, so need to do some man maths ;) 

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I'm with ColinP on this as well. Without doubt the 410 is a lovely car for those who want something more hard core, but not for me. I've driven an S1 Honda SC/Cc for many years, so I have a different idea on 'hard core' in any event. But sad to say, I go one step further than Colin on this. I have a 2015 Evora S sr, that I bought new, and I absolutely love it. I was thinking that I might change it for a 400, until I had a close up look at one. ( I know this is subjective...but)  I really don't like the interior of the 400 at all. It looks cheap, indifferent and bland. I felt as if I could have been sitting in a golf or something TBH. I much prefer the more intimate and eccentric interior of the earlier car, it simply looks and feels more expensive, the Ricaro seats in particular, are much nicer than the sparco. In the S1 Evora I feel like I am sitting in it, not sitting on it.  Sooner or later I will have to decide whether to change over to the 400 or to TVS 1900 my existing car. 

PS. Very glad that the 410 is creating so much interest in the brand though!

• Like 2

@Breeze I love the 410 and want one, just too tight to pay the £85k for one. With you all the way re the S1 interior but have to say prefer my earlier one (with the brushed metal dash and hvac panel) to the dark painted what looks like plastic one on the post MY12 cars.  The 400 interior is OK but does look more Germanic and less "bespoke" than the more swoopy S1.  I'm leaning on keeping my S1 but adding the 410 ducktail and GTE nose and rear. Best of all worlds for me as I do not need more power for UK roads....

Given the choice between £75k for the 400 or £85k for the 410 then I would pay the extra for the 410. It just looks more focused and special.

The small print.

i like the logic here, s1 with 410 spoiler & gte nose when one fancies a change, rather than upgrade the whole car.

.. has this been done by anyone yet?

Don't think so, hoping mine will be the first. Some will hope it will be the last...

It will feel like a new car for £35k less than a 400. That's a cup220r!

The small print.

Would the 410 rear fit the s1 without the rear bumper??? I think the s1 rear bumper would compliment the ducktail style. It is a lovely looking thing. Only problem would then be wanting more carbon fibre!