Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2bular "Track" system - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2bular "Track" system

I'll try and take a photo of the area. Byron @JCT600 has fitted quite a few Lotus Sport exhausts onto V6's/CUP 360 etc.

I can confirm no dash lights or loss of performance, in fact now I've driven 250+ miles with it, I'm convinced it feels slightly quicker. (It's also fitted with the TRD filter from the 360 CUP.

We'd expect a franchised Lotus dealer to complete a proper install :-)

In essence, a "simple" conversion would only disconnect and "plug" the associated branch of the vacuum control system; the ECU will simply believe that it still controls both the solenoid control valve - and the downstream actuator in the exhaust system.  The disconnected vacuum line must be plugged somewhere - to avoid compromise of the vacuum system.

A more complete conversion will have disabled ECU control.  With this element disabled, there will be no integrity monitoring of the solenoid control valve or its wiring - permitting complete removal of the redundant components.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 21:06, ChrisBuer said:

I'd imagine the exhaust will sound similar to mine with the valve open?

Here are a couple of videos and a photo :)

7wsaaW5.jpg

It's different Chris - tooooooooootally different. The "Road" system (like yours), once the exhaust valve is "open" has ZERO silencing effect. I wanted this system to be the LOUDEST it could be - but with the option of quieter operation with the exhaust valve closed.

The "Track" system was designed to remove all the extra weight of the exhaust valve and it's associated pipework - saved some 5Kgs. The silencing comes from using a different core-pipe - and .................. other features. There are NO packing materials to worry about. Anyone familiar with the supercharged 2ZZ-GE cars will know all about burning/blowing out the silencer packing under track abuse.

The silencer "works" better the more sound energy it has to deal with. Feedback I had was, "it does get LOUD up to 4500rpm but when you increase the revs further, it seems to settle down and doesn't get any louder at all!"

Any after-market system being sold for "Track" use and using packing materials inside the silencer ................................ if it's not re-packable - you'll be in trouble soon enough. Warranty is voided anyway with track usage - the warranty on your CAR is void with track usage. Everything on a "track" car is consumable - including you.

Now, although I have had a system noise-tested on some European tracks with encouraging results, I have increased the size of the silencer and also moved it around the exhaust bay to try and push those add-on silencers further back and under the main silencer. I am conscious of race regs and they should be ok for them. They're not road-legal in the UK as far as I'm aware.  R&D time can be long given the demand for production of other 2bular exhausts(!), so gestation of this system has been somewhat prolonged.

I despair of UK tracks these days when it comes to noise limits and tbh, I have my doubts this system will be good for all tracks at all times. I will only jump through so many hoops. I can fit another silencer (getting ridiculous now) where the old "3rd catalyser" used to fit - but meeting Bedford's drive-by of 87.5dbs? Probably not.

I made a pair of 100mm diameter Stainless add-ons but they are too heavy to hang off the rear of the car. I had nightmares thinking about them! Titanium designs are a LOT lighter - and a LOT more expensive. The big Carbon tips are not conducive to best noise-control(!) - but I've seen those static test figures before and I knew the smaller Ti add-ons would help reduce dbs. They do NOT restrict gas-flow, like some designs I've seen used - that way is disaster, especially on a supercharged motor. Helper springs are wound so that the end-hoops can articulate - does help with stresses - but I would recommend some stainless wire-locking for best safety.

I will develop a pair of 90mm diameter stainless add-ons to keep costs down - and will probably use 45deg downward tips to disperse some sound energy into the tarmac. There are cheaper mild-steel add-ons I believe - just make sure they have 57mm bore.

Thank you Jeff!

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 07:53, CocoPops said:

Glad to see it finally exists.

63.5mm "track" systems have been sold all over the World for months now - first one was here -

track add-ons were the problem for you - and as I say, R&D on them was just a PITA.

Jeff,

May you tell us what is the weight of the standard exhaust of the exige V6 and the weight of the 2bular track system?

How many time would it take to you to send an exhaust if I Would order it this week?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, redspeed said:

Have you managed to take any sound readings with the extra tips on yet?

Yes, but the stupid laptop wouldn't read the SD card, so couldn't upload the video.

However, approx 4500rpm = 96-97Db

I also did some additional tests at varying rpm and like Jim said it does get quieter at higher revs, so should be no issue with drive by test.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Would be interested in the before and after db figures for that. Is it just a little silencer unit then

Yes, similar to a motorbike "can"

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/inside-motorcycle-exhaust-choosing-end-can-bike/

Here's a "before", need to re film the "after"!

Edited by quantum2000
  • Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 13:10, LotusPilot said:

It's all rather a moot point now - as 2bular, under new ownership, have stopped taking orders :-(

Surely new owner going to realise the market he missing out on :ermm:

Edited by RedViper

For the record, my car was measured at 92db at c4800 rpm on the static test at Goodwood with the stainless "slip-ons" fitted and I had no issues with the drive-by. 

The stainless slip-ons are slightly larger diameter, and slightly longer than Jeff's, but don't stick out as much as it looks in the photo. 

This was a 98db/96db day.

Later in the day I took the extra pipes off and went for a static retest, which then gave almost exactly the same reading as Jeff. We got to 101db at just above 4500rpm before they shook their heads?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Maybe there's not enough profit in it ?? Seems strange at best

I don't think that is the case for my conversations with Jim. I just think it was just too much demand for one guy.

For the new owner though I cant understand why they don't just offer the lotus exhausts that are already designed, nothing bespoke and let another welder crack on in the background making exhausts for current models which are already proven and don't need any input from Jim. Hopefully he will read this and realise there is still a big demand.

Edited by RedViper