Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2bular "Track" system - Page 5 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2bular "Track" system

Maybe the fruits of the expansion of 2bular are now beginning to come into effect. I.e shorter waiting times. 

I also noticed on 2bular website when drooling over manifolds other day that the track systems as of 17/08 are in stock too ?

Edited by RedViper

Nice pic of the underside Mark, I was crawling around under the car in a cramped garage so all of my 'how to' pics are useless. 

Like you, I think the car feels a little more perky than before and throttle response is definately quicker. Love it.

In case anyone is wondering from the underneath photo - there is plenty of clearance all around the system and all pipework - fits nicely.

I've ordered some Fibreglass Heat sleeving to sleeve over the Blue Vacuum Tube. (It's longer than the factory one).   It is really far enough away from the hot bits to not be a bother but seeing as it's only a couple of quid, I thought I'd do it.  (Since taking that photo, I've repositioned the tube so that it's secured to the Swaybar and it has the factory sleeving over it.

Also worth noting that Jim uses a high quality/more expensive Valve assembly because that's one bit that you don't want failing (it's the only moving part in the system).

Edited by Aussie

Just now, NANO said:

Fantastic, this makes you fall in love ... Top photos from below so make the idea ... congratulations ...

This is to 100mm Stainless tips, or am I wrong ?

Yes the 100mm Stainless Tips.  They are very nice - they seem to be double skinned.  Personally, I actually prefer the look of them and I can polish them :lol:

10 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

That does look good!

All im worried about is valve open, whether its too loud for track still. Either the 2bular or KomoTec but the Komotec seems a tad quieter. 

Chris, as I understand it, Jim built the "Track" system to cater for the stricter Track noise rules in the UK.  I am in Australia and only intend doing about 2 or 3 Track days a year and our Noise restrictions are not as strict over here, so I have fitted the Valved system.  I understand that the Valved System will therefore be too loud for UK Racetracks but fine for the Road.

Just now, Aussie said:

Chris, as I understand it, Jim built the "Track" system to cater for the stricter Track noise rules in the UK.  I am in Australia and only intend doing about 2 or 3 Track days a year and our Noise restrictions are not as strict over here, so I have fitted the Valved system.  I understand that the Valved System will therefore be too loud for UK Racetracks but fine for the Road.

From what ive heard, even the track system wont let you do many over here. Or maybe with the add on mufflers in the tips. But would rather just have a quieter exhaust and not have to swap them over. I think its only the KT that is suitable :ermm: 

26 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

From what ive heard, even the track system wont let you do many over here. Or maybe with the add on mufflers in the tips. But would rather just have a quieter exhaust and not have to swap them over. I think its only the KT that is suitable :ermm: 

I'd check that out carefully if I were you - I've got a feeling that the Komo-Tec system closes the Valve under high revs to keep it quiet but in my opinion, this is likely to cause either backpressure problems or place the Valve under high load and then eventual failure.  Due to this, I think it might be difficult to come up with a Valved system that's suitable for Track (unless the louder portion with the Valve "Open" is really really quiet).

I think that these issues is what caused Jim to make a dedicated Track system, so I think it best you have a conversation with Jim first to understand a bit more about it.  Perhaps jot him an email or ring him one day.

Edited by Aussie

I thought Jim designed the track system not just for the noise, but also for the way the exhaust gasses are "flowed" or "managed" through the system to ensure no issues / problems with the engine and back pressure etc. I'm no expert, but do remember reading from Jim that work was specifically done to help with reliability during long sessions on the track.

Also, as the owner of Jim's headers, I can vouch for the quality of the work. A little less whining over his comms / timescale (I know it is infuriating to not know what is happening) would be nice, as they are not the best, but then as Jim himself has stated many times he prefers to be working on the systems rather than typing on the keyboard :sofa:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I thought Jim designed the track system not just for the noise, but also for the way the exhaust gasses are "flowed" or "managed" through the system to ensure no issues / problems with the engine and back pressure etc. I'm no expert, but do remember reading from Jim that work was specifically done to help with reliability during long sessions on the track.

I think you are absolutely correct.

Wow, thanks @Aussie - I'm a technical / mechanical no hoper but do try to keep useless stuff in the grey mists of my minimal brain,sometimes it can be useful, but a lot of the stuff in there is not enough of use to me lol.  No doubt someone will be able to explain why this is important (the gas flow that is) for durability, but too technical for me. ;) 

I know we all love the "noise", but for me, the reason i went for Jim's header and sport cat and NOT the exhaust was that I wanted a bit more power from the engine and also liked the idea it was seriously reducing the heat in the engine bay. The fitted cost of the headers and cat was £3k, it would have been £4k with the exhaust, but both Jim and my garage confirmed the headers would work well with the lotus blue tipped sports exhaust and no need to spend the extra money (another thing I like above those two suppliers - they don't want to sell you stuff just for the sake of their revenues!). The potential for a bit more power but a big reduction in heat and therefore better engine longevity was more important to me than the noise.  However, i was not prepared for the difference the new set-up would make to the "noise" - it is amazing.  I can only dream about what it will sound like if I get the track exhaust too!  On the heat front, on the Evora's sliding temperature scale it is now running, even when driven long and hard on the road, one "notch" lower than the previous "normal".

Just out of interest, i was talking to @bingoking on the last Legs run, a man of impeccable taste obviously as he has a GTE!  He told me that his car had the same header / exhaust setup as mine - well if it's good enough for a GTE... :)

Sorry, not trying to go off topic - but to get to my point - the track exhaust from 2bular has been designed for regular, long, hard term track use and to provide som additonal proetection for the engine. It's not just about the noise!

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Wow, thanks @Aussie - I'm a technical / mechanical no hoper but do try to keep useless stuff in the grey mists of my minimal brain,sometimes it can be useful, but a lot of the stuff in there is not enough of use to me lol.  No doubt someone will be able to explain why this is important (the gas flow that is) for durability, but too technical for me. ;) 

Exhaust gas flow is very important, especially to achieve power and not lose it! Ping rate of a SC or NA is very hard compared to a turbo car. But unfortunately if the Exhaust is too loud, then its kind of redundant as you cant go on track anyway :lol:. It does seem that The 2bular track does everything it can, bt ultimately over here, it may not be enough. 

31 minutes ago, Aussie said:

I've got a feeling that the Komo-Tec system closes the Valve under high revs to keep it quiet but in my opinion,

I don't know where that came from but that isn't true at all. 

The valve on any system can either be controlled manually (with an installed switch) or by the ECU. On my MY11 Evora S (with full KT system), the valve is controlled by the ECU. Push the Sport button on, valve opens; Sport button off, valve closes, regardless of RPM. (This can be different for later versions of the ECU/map ie the Evora 400 opens the valve @ 4.5k RPM, regardless of mode). 

Noise-wise, you have to be very careful of 2bular systems. The Valved system (which Jim recommends that you don't take on track) tests at around 108dB. Ironically, the track version also tests at >105dB (too much for most UK tracks). My KT system tested recently at Snetterton at 98dB static, with the valve open. 

Again guys, this is where Jim's knowledge and expertise is important - this is what you are paying for when you are buying one of his systems.  It is certainly a field that cannot be successfully achieved by just welding a few bits of pipe together.  Please contact him to discuss your concerns.

• Like 1

@Bravo73 I agree with you as is there not a good reason why the valve would NOT shut at high revs (and why you should not try to over-rise the valve open at high revs)? Again, i am sure I have read that if this was the norm then there is a significant risk of causing engine damage at consistent long hard high rev track runs as the closed valve would restrict gas flow and cause a back pressure build up.

Jim has documented this somewhere, if I can I will find where and post it - as @Aussie says he is very knowledgeable in this area ;)

The small print.

15 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I know we all love the "noise", but for me, the reason i went for Jim's header and sport cat and NOT the exhaust was that I wanted a bit more power from the engine and also liked the idea it was seriously reducing the heat in the engine bay. The fitted cost of the headers and cat was £3k, it would have been £4k with the exhaust, but both Jim and my garage confirmed the headers would work well with the lotus blue tipped sports exhaust and no need to spend the extra money (another thing I like above those two suppliers - they don't want to sell you stuff just for the sake of their revenues!). The potential for a bit more power but a big reduction in heat and therefore better engine longevity was more important to me than the noise.  However, i was not prepared for the difference the new set-up would make to the "noise" - it is amazing.  I can only dream about what it will sound like if I get the track exhaust too!  On the heat front, on the Evora's sliding temperature scale it is now running, even when driven long and hard on the road, one "notch" lower than the previous "normal".

Just out of interest, i was talking to @bingoking on the last Legs run, a man of impeccable taste obviously as he has a GTE!  He told me that his car had the same header / exhaust setup as mine - well if it's good enough for a GTE... :)

Sorry, not trying to go off topic - but to get to my point - the track exhaust from 2bular has been designed for regular, long, hard term track use and to provide som additonal proetection for the engine. It's not just about the noise!

A great answer ! :thumbup: