Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Aerobat's Evora Project - Page 5 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Aerobat's Evora Project

aerobat

Looks incredible. Congrats on the build.

Is the GTE engine and gearbox the same unit found in all Evora's with a few tweeks or are they significantly different?

Mine is factory original Evora S, with the IPS transmission.   All I've done is the full GTE exterior, and the Komo-Tec 460-HP engine performance upgrade.  That includes headers, cat bypass, carbon fibre bigger air intake, smaller pulley for a stronger supercharger, and an air-water chargecooler - if I've got that all right.   The original GTE's had a 444 HP Cosworth engine, with an AMT sequential gearbox.   I don't think any of those made it market.  What we call GTE's are technically GT350's.   

There are others on this forum with far more knowledge than I about the Lotus history .....

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the Evora GTE as was sold, as opposed to launch spec, was a standard 350hp "s" engine as per the Evora S. Plenty fast and boy do they look good in real life on the road.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yes the actual gte's had a Swindon engines developed engine with 400+ bhp. The production GT350 had the standard evora running gear so 350bhp. One gte did (not one of the 20 re-manufactured ones) escape into the wild with the Swindon engine and ecu which gives about 385 bhp. I don't know how close they actually got to the stated 444 figure.

Gav 

• Like 1

Mines a gt350 so just a standard filter. Swindon engines did have some high flow air filter housings on ebay a couple of years ago but they soon went as they were development units.

Gav

• 4 weeks later...

Great video John and what a lovely looking car!  It's your car so don't apologise for anything!  love the colour, that red just really pops. Hope you enjoy every minute of ownership. Nice one.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

nice video aerobat, car looks and sounds awesome

• Like 1

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

• 2 weeks later...

That really is lovely, what an excellent job!  Did you use the car much in it's old life as an Evora S? if so, how do you find the Komotech conversion on an IPS car, does it make a worthwhile upgrade to performance and drivability?

Hi Martin.    I had used my car often as a daily driver, but only in good weather.   I am OCD enough that if I drove in rainy weather, I would be spending too much time getting the rain spots off, lol.   I was fortunate enough to bring my car home in nice weather, but it is early spring here now, with lots of rain, occasional snow, and cooler temperatures.   My car's ECU is still learning from these modifications, and I am also due for a Lotus software update.  

I have not driven the car aggressively yet.  I have enjoyed more noise from the supercharger, and a throatier engine sound.   Acceleration is smooth and quick, without the kick in the a$$ you get with a turbo.   So - I cannot yet answer about it's performance.   The company that did this conversion was extremely happy with the outcome, and he is a Ferrari guy.  (His car is a highly modified Enzo ...)    Before I had picked it up, he did his own test drive, and he commented on how smooth and easy to drive it is.   He easily was doing 200 km/h on city freeways, and backed off from there.   I have the IPS, which does limit or restrict performance somewhat compared to conversions to standard transmissions.

Overall, I would say go for it!  Unless you can settle for less than what your car could be.     :P  B-)

1 hour ago, aerobat said:

My car's ECU is still learning from these modifications, and I am also due for a Lotus software update.  

If you load the Lotus ECU software, won't it overwrite the KT map (required for the EX460 kit)?

Actually, the most important software update I'm needing is for the IPS.   Beyond that, I bow to the knowledge of others much more experienced and informed than I am.

Thanks for the reply John. The reason for asking is that when my 2015 Evora S is out of warranty next year, I'd either like to upgrade with the Komotec kit or the Simplysportscars TVS1900 conversion ( Apparently there will be an Evora specific kit available from them before long ).  Like yours, my car is also an IPS.  Great thread by the way much enjoyed following it.  The car looks great!

PS. As above, check to see if any Lotus software will overwrite the Komotec software.  Do Komo not do their own software for the IPS box? 

Again, sorry for the delayed reply.   Being on this side of the Atlantic, with such a big difference in time zones, Komo-Tec was not a real big help to my shop.   The ECU was retuned to Komo-Tec's specs, and you're right, when I take it to my Lotus dealer/ service department, I will let them know to not re-flash the ECU, but to leave it to the EV460 specs.   My car is out of warranty now, so I felt free to plunge on with the after-market mods.   When I was doing this, I had not known of, or heard of the TVS1900 conversion.   But Komo-Tec is well known and well experienced with working with Lotus, so I'm comfortable with that.   Good luck with your plans, and please let this group know of your plans and progress.

Thanks for the compliments - I am happy with how the car turned out!

Edited by aerobat