Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Movie Binge - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Movie Binge

• Gold FFM

So I'm trying to make the time pass until I can collect my car, binge watching anything Lotus related I can find. I've just finished the four parts of "The Lotus Story", a charmingly retro documentary which I had hoped would focus more on the road cars but was almost exclusively a look at the F1 team. A shame too that it more or less finished with their last title as the post-Chapman years are of great interest to me.

I recently watched the 2 and a half hour Elise story, which was genuinely intriguing too. Amazing that the car wasn't even intended to have doors, and the huge implications that clearly had for them. Having seen a couple of S1s up close the other day, the work really paid off though. They're still great looking cars.

Tonight's viewing is these two - something old and something new.@Bibs I will be looking for your cameo!

IMAG062217a2.jpg

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Haha, yeah I remember seeing the trailer for that. Car's basically the only redeeming feature. I would have hated to have worked on that film. "We're making everything we can chrome". That stuff is a pain in the ass.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Watched Senna the movie last night on Amazon Prime. Rush is on there as well.

While I'm thinking of it, it's worth grabbing a copy of Addiction For Life from Lotus Esprit World (Bibs may still have a few kicking around in TLF's shop?). Even if you're not into Esprits it will give you an insight into the murky world of Lotus anoraks and what makes them enthusiastic about the marque. Produced by TLF's Alan Paterson and featuring some appearances by TLF members, it's worth an hour or so of your time.

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Rush !  has a few jps race cars in it,  or Senna the movie :)

True, I've got both of those in the collection. Large parts of Rush were shot at Snetterton.

Maybe this is an excuse to FINALLY watch Pretty Woman. Although I'm reasonably sure I'd prefer a re-watch of Basic Instinct.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Also it may be heresy but I much prefer the For Your Eyes Only Esprit over the Spy Who Loved me, although the latter is by far the better film.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I missed the FINALLY in your post James, Cant believe you have never seen seen pretty women, did you go through the 90s living in a cave off grid :P  Watch it now, this very moment, the crazy thing is Julia roberts was cast for that film when it went under a different film name, she got the job and it got canned. It got renamed pretty women and she had to re audtion in front of Richard Gere, in private in his office, as she was not a know actor at that time she wrote on a piece of paper "please say yes and hire me" and passed it over the desk to Richard Gere. The director phoned Richard and he said yes hire her !   Non of the directors or actors thought it would be a massive box office hit like it was. 

In fact lotus if i recall correctly had to push the film makers to take the esprit to get publicity for the car or was that basic instinct  i am not sure but Kimbers may  know ?

A

• Gold FFM

1 is an excellent film.

I just watched the Evora DVD, bit rubbish really. 90 minutes and they basically didn't say anything. Particularly frustrating as they spent large parts of the DVD saying "People have tried a mid-engined 2+2 but it didn't work", "It's so hard making a 2+2 mid-engined car", "OH we loved telling our rivals how we did it".... Okay, TELL ME how you did it!? I want to know! There wasn't even a single mention anywhere in there that the chassis is bonded aluminium, how it relates to the other cars in the line-up, anything. An hour and a half of fluff. Nil points. A shame because they clearly had insider access, I was hoping for something much closer to "The Elise Story", which was very in-depth.

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 16/04/2016 at 12:51, JayEmm said:

Also it may be heresy but I much prefer the For Your Eyes Only Esprit over the Spy Who Loved me, although the latter is by far the better film.

I prefer BOTH turbo Esprits in FYEO over the S1..

You might find this website interesting....

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Lotus.html

• Gold FFM

I'm familiar with the site. Damn fine looking cars the Turbo Esprit. Grand Prix white with black bumpers is my preferred spec :)

James Martin (JayEmm)