Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 13 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

And whether it's closed or open, use as light throttle as possible to raise revs to requested revs.

trust me, I've done enough noise tests with my supercharged vx that would blitz the statics if rev'd quickly, but be suitably under if rev'd slowly and gently to the Rev point requested.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Well, I welcome anyone else to try at their local track. As I was not intending to go on track I wasn't really desperate to pass. He was pretty decent. There's about three minutes of us talking I cut out the video because it isn't needed. He did say it might get through on the drive-by, but it would be extremely close.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

The guy at Snetterton is usually pretty amicable to negotiating what revs a car should be tested at. He usually asks for a certain limit but if you can show that 75% of the red line is less than that limit then he will accept it. Also he's not too fussed if you peak at 200 revs or so less than he asks for since there's always the drive by to catch you.

I always had to "negotiate" a little, particularly on evening sessions, in my SC VX220

• Gold FFM

Like I said, I was not attempting to get on the track day, I just wanted to find out quite how bad it is. 

Whilst I have no doubt my technique may be flawed for a static, the drive by is surely the trickiest test to pass. Especially at Snetterton, with a wind that can carry noise quite effectively.

I'm sure the solution to this issue will present itself soon. Lotus know their customers want to track their cars.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

As it happens, there was at least one VX220 having fun on track that evening. And a GT-R that sounded quite tasty.

I'll ask the boys at Hethel how they're getting on Monday. I don't mind volunteering my car as a guinea pig.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Anyone know any friendly M100 owners who might let me have a go in their car? They seem like another Lotus with a colourful past and a curious reputation. I'd love to do a mini feature on one.

@phil flash?

James Martin (JayEmm)

Yeah, be a pleasure.  My latest has a 'curious past' and a 'colourful reputation'...:lol:

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

On 15 June 2016 at 21:14, JayEmm said:

Review should be up in a few days @anthonyyule. The short version is basically the auto box is improved over the IPS, particularly in sport/race mode. When pressing on its actually pretty good, I would say on a similar level to the older SMG boxes but not as vicious on the down-shifts.

It isn't going to keep anyone in VAG up at night, but for those who want an auto it's a reasonable box. One huge benefit is being a normal auto is can "creep", so for low speed maneuvering it is much easier to be smooth. Unlike many dual clutch setups which are hideous in traffic/car park situations. 

I actually don't like the creep of the automatic in sports cars. I drove a few dual clutch cars and I loved how you have to press the gas pedal and it takes a few seconds to start moving forward and there's no creep, as if it was a manual where the clutch is engaging to go forward. Do you think this is something that can be programmable with a torque converter? (Purely curious)

• Gold FFM

Alright M100 boys, form an orderly queue. @phil flash I imagine I will see you on Monday at the Bird in Hand? and @Dave Eds I am sure I'll see you next month as well, if not before?

I will do some homework on them and form a plan. They sound like something of a forgotten car. Certainly popular in these circles though!

@goussama I imagine the creep is a function of the hardware. Personally I quite prefer it. I know they banned hills in the Netherlands in 1452, but we still have loads here. There's a town near me where the whole town is basically one big hill and parking there with no creep function is a nightmare.

James Martin (JayEmm)

29 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

@goussama I imagine the creep is a function of the hardware. Personally I quite prefer it. I know they banned hills in the Netherlands in 1452, but we still have loads here. There's a town near me where the whole town is basically one big hill and parking there with no creep function is a nightmare.

when does the video go live James...... im waiting with anticipation!

The Dad of one of my friends bought an M100 brand new in 1990. It was a red SE (Turbo) with grey leather and the registration H2LAN. He had it delivered by truck to his home from the dealer (Leicester, I think). Bizarrely, it then sat in his garage for months and he didn't actually register it until early January 1991, because he reckoned a 1991 car would be worth a bit more than a 1990 car when the time came to sell it on. Anyway I finally got my passenger ride in 1991, with my friend at the wheel. He owned a factory fresh Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9, which had always impressed: the M100 had a similar feel, but even more so. Much quicker both in a straight line and round the bends, His dad had a Mercedes 190E 2.6 so rarely used the Lotus and sold it on after a couple of years.

According to the DVLA it is still around but on SORN (MOT expired Nov. 2015, so probably in someone's garage).

One little footnote: the Lotus was bought with the proceeds of selling the family company. There was an awful lot more in the pot than just the Lotus money though. I had been nagging his Dad to buy a new Ferrari 328 GTS, which he could even sell on at a straight profit if he didn't like it. Short term I was right (dealers were selling low milers for 160K), medium term he was right (they dropped to 25K), and now long term I was right again (they're back up in the 150K bracket),

• Gold FFM

@anthonyyule in the next day or two. Uploading is the longest part of the process, but the video is edited and done. It came out longer than I expected (20 mins or so) but I imagine anyone watching a gearbox comparison video probably wants a bit of detail so it's like it is. I think it's quite an enjoyable video, it was a hell of a day between annoying traffic and abysmal weather - but it got done

James Martin (JayEmm)

Come on, get a decent net connection :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

Omg! What is it?

(assuming some kind of commercial leased line for that price)

• Gold FFM

You would think, wouldn't you!!

Nope, it's a satellite connection. The joke is I don't even live in the highlands, the cabinet that serves my regular broadband actually has fibre to it. Unfortunately BT have either forgotten about us, or don't care. The cabinet is 3.5km of cabling away from my house, so by the time it reaches me I'm lucky if I get 0.5mbps down. It was 1.5 when I moved in four years ago and has steadily got worse. I spent years trying to get it sorted, but nobody wants to. So I got satellite, which is sort-of better - but hideously expensive. There's another system being installed here, but annoyingly it needs line-of-sight to our local church and I live in a bungalow opposite a lot of fairly tall houses so I'm knackered for that too!

James Martin (JayEmm)

4g?

• Gold FFM

Sadly mobile signal here also flaky, it has improved dramatically but inside my property I'm lucky to get any signal. It's a 60s bungalow so fairly solid walls.

James Martin (JayEmm)

23 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

I pay £130 a month for it, but it's still not decent!!

We have poor broadband here, but well within a year we should be on the B4RN network - see http://b4rn.org.uk/

This will gives us a symmetrical (up and down at the same speed) 1 Gb/s service for £30 per month including VAT. It is a community network with diverse routing for resilience, but we have to do the work ourselves. Well worth it in my view. Other places are being held back by providers trying to milk their assets whilst most politicians don't understand enough about the differences between true fibre broadband and what our telcos are allowed to call 'fibre broadband' even though it's clearly coming down old copper wires.

Well done for producing and uploading these videos despite your limited broadband options.