Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 17 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

I think people are being overly harsh with regard to the head unit in the Evora.  When the TT RS was introduced by Audi, brand new, the car lacked the latest generation head unit.  The upgraded Bose stereo in my car is "so good", a stereo shop had to confirm that the car actually had a subwoofer! lol!  Also, while the TT is quieter than the Evora, it's not a quiet car and music will always be competing with engine noise.  The best part about the TT's stereo is shared by the Evora: it is a standard double DIN unit that is easily replaced if the head unit really bothers you.  In lots of cars, you do not have that option.

This just isn't that big a deal.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Ccd the head unit in the Evora is actually pretty decent. I struggle to think of an aftermarket unit that does much better, or many new ones. My only real gripe is that it's a touch screen - I hate touch screens - but they all are now. And the microphone seems very bad (lot of people say I am quiet, even though I have it turned all the way up).

I found a guy here with a C7 Vette and I am going to try and get the two side-by-side for a comparison that will hopefully be quite useful to US buyers. The HU in the 400 is way nicer than GM's thing in the C7. That felt really slow and tedious to use.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

There are plenty of after-market units that do much better: 1) because there are such units that offer navigation that people actually use (meaning Android Auto, Apple Carplay); and 2) such units are often paired with much more powerful amps and better speakers.  If you are struggling to find a better after-market units, you have not looked.  The Evora head unit is not the disaster people might lead you to think, but it is hardly at the top of the after-market food chain.

• Gold FFM

I'm not really judging it by the quality of the speakers Lotus have chosen to attach to it, I'm also not a fan of mobile-phone-car-stereo-things, so that probably sways me.

I think the main point is that the HU might get a bashing but in actual fact it's perfectly serviceable. And as has been mentioned, easy to upgrade which is a bonus.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

So, of relevance mostly to US guys, I've found a chap locally to me who owns - amongst other things - a C7 Vette. This is great because I know the Vette is a common and popular car in the states. I am quite a big fan of them, and getting the two side-by-side should hopefully help make a meaningful comparison for people over the pond!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

A bit of radio silence recently, apologies for this - I've been all over the place. Video production will resume shortly.

In other news, the 400 is very good on track.

large_4efd2161f_D75_6609.jpg

James Martin (JayEmm)

Now that's a video I want to see! Track time!

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Now that's a video I want to see! Track time!

Unfortunately no video on this one, extremely strict policy at Hethel means for the time being I have to rely on the official track photographer's photos.

I am working on getting permission to film, but until I am someone they consider important it's unlikely to happen

James Martin (JayEmm)

Really? Every other trackday I've done has allowed in car filming?

and given your mounts are secure, should have been fine.

Is this a magnitude rule or Hethel rule?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM

This apparently is a Hethel rule. I asked Alex about filming and the answer was basically it's possible, but extremely complicated and they're unlikely to say yes, certainly not with the short amount of time I had to prep.

I am attempting to see if I can get the car past Snetterton's drive-by noise limit, if I can then I will get some filming done there.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

So the limit at Hethel is officially the same as Snetterton. The difference was we weren't all noise tested before we went out, but we were told that certain cars could be "randomly" noise tested.

Given the fact that as part of the day, hot laps in an Evora 400 were being offered, I think it was quite unlikely they were suddenly going to decide my car was too noisy.

I have to say a very great day was had, it was a Club Lotus / M100 hoods day, organised by @Magnitude_Events. Great people, both on and off track. Nice to see a couple of other members too, including @adfer and @Andrew C to name but a few.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 22/06/2016 at 10:16, JayEmm said:

Oh, and your chassis number will indicate car number - but the code is different for manual or auto. It's "1" for manual, "2" for auto. So mine is 10116 - meaning Manual car #116.

Interesting... mine is #11250

11 hours ago, JayEmm said:

This apparently is a Hethel rule. I asked Alex about filming and the answer was basically it's possible, but extremely complicated and they're unlikely to say yes, certainly not with the short amount of time I had to prep.

YouTube is full of videos from Hethel track days, including Arun's recent LoT day:

Alex was talking rubbish, I'm afraid.

Filming whilst on the track is okay but, as you're well aware, the camera can't be pointed (or used) elsewhere.

(Hence why in Arun's vid, he films up to the Lotus gate and then when entering the track, not the bit in between).

• Gold FFM

Well, I will be having an ongoing conversation with Alex but I asked the question and the answer was no. Given how difficult it is getting a 400 on track I didn't fancy betting chucked off for breaking the rules on the first day.

There are lots more photos available, I am waiting to receive high res ones and I will post the best.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Following on from the Chassis #s

I discovered that the first "production" 400 delivered was 0024 according to Lotus documentation.
So if JayEmms car was was 116 and mine is 250, then circa 225 cars have been built and delivered since August last year?

• Gold FFM

Well, around 225 MANUAL cars. As the auto cars have a different chassis number. I'm not sure what the split of manual-autos is. Lotus did say to me that "around 200" 400s had been made, that was a few weeks ago. It was probably also a rough guess. I would say between 300-500 total so far seems realistic. Probably the lower end of that, although the number will spike once US customers start taking delivery of their cars. Apparently the EPA procedure and stuff is all complete and the cars are rolling off the line now.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Not quite true James.

http://deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=6821&MAK=1&MDL=47&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

The Auto/Manual indicator is digit 13, the last 4 digits (14-17) are the serial number. So car 0250 is, as far as I can tell, the 250th car built, regardless of Auto/Manual.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Not quite true James.

http://deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=6821&MAK=1&MDL=47&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

The Auto/Manual indicator is digit 13, the last 4 digits (14-17) are the serial number. So car 0250 is, as far as I can tell, the 250th car built, regardless of Auto/Manual.

That's not how they explained it to me, although it may be that I misunderstood it. The way you describe it would certainly make a lot more sense. But then common sense isn't always on the menu at Hethel.

James Martin (JayEmm)