Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 41 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

• Gold FFM

Funnily it had always run fine until Lotus started mucking about with the MAF sensor...

I've started referring to it as Trigger's Evora.

These are all issues that could happen on any car, it is the response from Lotus which is a PITA. To be fair, with the paint issue there hasn't even been an argument about it - we're getting it booked in the paint shop ASAP.

I'm off on holiday on Sunday for a fortnight, almost a shame because I had a drive in it the other week and it is just magical, when it wants to be.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

There are discussions that have been had between myself, Lotus and JCT600 which I don't want to make public but short version is I am currently very happy with my car. I'm getting new seats in March, guaranteed, and I have been slowly making the car "my perfect" Lotus - I think if I changed it for another one I'd probably wind up just swapping these problems for some others.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

A while ago my fellow 400 owner and monster thread maker @chylld talked about Lotus and McLaren as being similar in many ways. I've spent a brief amount of time behind the wheel of a McLaren and have some McLaren-related plans this year, but in short the Evora would genuinely wear the McLaren badge with pride. For a car that's basically half the price of an entry level McLaren, it is phenomenal. 

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

A couple of qualifications for this thought:

The only McLaren comparable to the Evora 400 is the sports series, i.e. 540C/570S/570GT. The Evora 400 gives you around 80% of the refinement and 80% of the performance for 50% of the purchase price. They are quite similar in character but there's no mistaking a 400 for a 570 except to severely untrained eyes. Wearing a McLaren badge is perhaps a stretch too far :)

Secondly, only the entry price is half. The actual cost of ownership here in Australia is about the same. A new 400 costs ~$200k and loses $50k value the moment you drive off the showroom floor. A new 570 costs ~$440k and the cheapest used example is listed for $406k. Add in extra financing costs (assuming same down-payment), insurance and running costs, and there is much less in it than the entry price suggests.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

Agree 100%. I'm keeping an eye on the second hand sports series market, I've yet to see a single car up close in person (out of 6 or so) that hasn't had a defect of some sort. Hopefully cars being made now have all the niggles ironed out though and will be ripe for the picking in a year's time :)

Meanwhile, the 400 will do. To be totally honest, I won't be buying another Lotus until they get their marketing in order to turn public perception around and improve demand and therefore residuals. Taken over $50k hit each on my Evoras.

• Like 1

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

• Gold FFM

A two-year old 650S would have lost the entire value of my 400 in depreciation. There are loads of videos flying around the internet about McLarens depreciating, although I am not entirely convinced their logic is sound.

Depreciation is a weird thing. Four seat Ferraris always drop like a stone, not like the Ferrari brand isn't well recognised or received. BMW 7 series do the same - about a 50% loss in two years or something crazy at one point.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Depreciation on McLarens super series cars has largely been down to the unknown nature of the brand, a wariness of potentially expensive failures and a total lack of independents to support older cars. McLaren's early build niggles didn't help but they're rock solid now. 12Cs have pretty much stopped depreciating at a little over £100k and 650s are holding firm at around 70% of their list price. 

My 650S spider listed at £249k , though sold for maybe £25k less than that, but its changed hands three times in 9 months for around £170k. So the price of an Exige gone in depreciation initially but it won't do a lot more in the next year or two.

Running costs are however on a completely different planet to any lotus. Everything costs a fortune just like their perceived rivals at Ferrari and Lamborghini. 

• Gold FFM

I do find it quite funny when these YouTubers buy 25 year old Ferraris and then get shocked by the price of maintenance, parts, etc... they just aren't cheap to run and never were.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I just hope that Lotus don't go too far up market ( £100k+ Exige was it mentioned the other day) to then lose it's core driver current fan and driver base. 

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

They desperately need an up-market product though, for a Halo effect if nothing else. We're unlikely to see that anytime soon though.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I agree. But moving the Evora or the Exige to over £100k is not the way to do it.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

No, for sure. I've seen one Sport 410 at £88k and to me, that's very strong pricing considering what most people actually paid for their 400s

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I've seen the Blue 410 at £88k and I was very very tempted....

• Like 1

The small print.

On 1/15/2017 at 03:05, JayEmm said:

@Macetrix - my situation is difficult. I don't like moaning unnecessarily but neither will I keep quiet if something goes wrong, My car is probably the single most problematic 400 on the planet, for no other reason than the fact Lotus didn't seem to pay any attention when they built the first few. By all accounts, later cars are much better built, unfortunately using too many cheap parts for my liking.

Jayemm

just check my evora 400 problems list (lonnng) on my thread, compare it to urs, and give me ur opinion! My car and Lotus drove me to anger management! Thx

I'd love a McLaren, but could never justify the running costs to myself never mind the other half and they don't do a mid-engined 2+2. The Evora is a unique car and in a class of its own as a 2+2. I like the fact that the Lotus is seen as a proper car enthusiasts drive where the competitors are often bought by fat-cat bankers.

Clearly though, Lotus do need a halo offering to get the press attention, but like others I hope their product line maintains an entry level for enthusiasts who work for a living.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

The real question is how sustainable is the Elise for Lotus? I have no idea on numbers but I have always been under the impression it is a damn expensive car to make. I expect they hope no-one buys a basic one, with no options

James Martin (JayEmm)

Shouldn't be too expensive - it's only folded ali', glued together and some bits of plastic.

In '93 Artioli announced Lotus were going back to basics and would build a lightweight car,like the 7, for under £20k. I was 108th on order list with £1k deposit and the order was endorsed "Basic price of Elise to be under £20,00 at release date..."

UK Price List for July '96 had Ex-Factory price of £16978.72 + 20% Vat = £19,950.  .... but they added Alarm (Mandatory) £295, and Delivery & Number Plates £465.  Told them I'd bring the plates and collect from Hethel but they wouldn't play ball.

Mine came through in Feb 97 and final price with Metallic paint & Red Leather seats was £23,909.  Nelmes of Romford kept trying to sell me a CD changer, amplifier and huge Woofer to go in it... Essex chavs !

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

Wales and back this weekend, with the OH this time so a test for its Jekyll personality rather than Mr hyde.. She's not a fan of my shoutier cars or generating 1g plus on a Welsh A road.

Did a great job, deeply impressed with its ability to munch miles in quiet, comfort though it was as always a pleasure carving its way through the bendy bits.More serious work out next Sunday on a proper Welsh raid. Elan Valley and Snowdonia.

So far none of the issues that James has had with the exception of the on again off again fan.What a faff to set the Alpine up to the recommended settings though. 

026.JPG

• Like 1

Download the Alpine AP and use @CocoPops settings - only takes a minute.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.