Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 111 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

13 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Fabian, try HTS2000 for you pipe repairs from these guys:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/aluminiumrods?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Aluminium brazing rods...will try to stick a Pic up later, but I had great success with it on my heater pipes last week. Make sure you have a stainless steel brush.

going to try a door handle repair in a week or so, too

ATB, Dave

They do look quite good!

Well Chaps, David is kindly having a look at this headlight decal. If he can make a graphic I will get some made and sell the rest on a cost.Youncan get satin black rubber spray on eBay so potentially we will be able to restore the motors to factory correct finish.  I still have some Burglar stickers I anyone else wants them, just pm me. Cheers.

Fabian, Did you make the gaskets either side of the fuel filler or buy?

Bought the outers off Pete at PNM and reused the inners as they need silicon anyway.

Headlight stickers being produced as we speak, thanks David! Anyone who wants some same deal pm me stamped address envelope. Maybe a package deal for Burglar stickers also! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Bought the outers off Pete at PNM and reused the inners as they need silicon anyway.

Headlight stickers being produced as we speak, thanks David! Anyone who wants some same deal pm me stamped address envelope. Maybe a package deal for Burglar stickers also! 

No problem. Simple Photopap job. Re-skewing the photo of them on the tubular motor body to represent a rectangle was the trickiest part to check the font, size and kerning.

• Like 1

This P clip installation is new but exactly how it left the factory! The loom relays slot together in groups of three and four they are then screwed through the bulkhead. Not ideal but you have to be able to remove them  to allow access and maintenance should you have electrical issues. The fan system was disabled on this car so it will have to be repaired.  

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

No problem. Simple Photopap job. Re-skewing the photo of them on the tubular motor body to represent a rectangle was the trickiest part to check the font, size and kerning.

Sounds like rocket science to me! 

Fuel neck 

If your putting one of these back together this might save you some hassle. Nothing on this car fits so you have to make it fit. New parts seldom fit properly, especially grommets. So you have to make them work whether it be trimming them down or using silicone. Especially when it come to the  fuel filler necks. Here's my tip. If you stick the seals either side of the neck and screw the four screws fully in you will have done the job really quickly - great! Pat yourself on the back until you go to put the filler cap on and find it sticking way out iof the side of the car. You have to use silicone either side of the inner seal. Put the filler tube on (it will be impossible afterwards) don't do the circlips up. Make sure the metal outer ring is orientated correctly. Apply the silicone . Align to the four screws. Tighten them slowly together but not fully in. Keep testing the filler cap. When it just clears all of the body and rotates without scratching the paint stop there. Smooth the silicon on the back and  leave  for a day. When it is set tighten the Circlips. 

Ears

the grommets on the rear Ear were new and I fitted them both side of the car. The problem with all the grommets is the rubber is harder and the sizes are incorrect. This means a lot of problems and trimming. Sometime the only way is to cut them in half and glue them back together, the worst part of the restoration is the grommets!IMG_4249.thumb.JPG.ed7adb8937a5336f758ec2a74841df84.JPGgromets fitted passenger side Ear.IMG_4250.thumb.JPG.beab1877161583adedf660bce8f823b6.JPGIMG_4252.thumb.JPG.0f7f7c40e2d5b4884edd07565e859038.JPGIMG_4253.thumb.JPG.594d5bc1f911fc5b275199a863d78e2d.JPGthermostat rebuilt with new rubber seal.IMG_4255.thumb.JPG.670d965e2d4b9c9af269970c74ea9e7d.JPGrear support with new vent pipe being fitted. P clip arrangement is factory correct.

Thanks to Rchard on here who pointed out the bonnet stay is upside down. It's also wrong the bottom bracket is on the wrong side of the shaft. I'm not sure if it will work I may have to drill out the lower bracket so I bolted it and will make it work whennthe bonnet is ready to test. Also Andy pointed out the engine mounts are upside down. I havn't got around tomswitchinthem yet. Thanks Chaps for keeping an eagle eye on this! 

How much hassle did you have getting the angles right between the filler neck and the body? Any tips there?

for me, and I really struggled, ( but now realise I have to do it again cos I didnt silicone the inner!. 😡), once the filler tube was in place on both the tank and the filler neck, the mating face angles really did NOT want to play -- flush at the bottom but 5mm gap at the top) 

I got there in the end by iterative tightening of the screws to pull in the filler neck, but it felt like there was unnecessary stress involved to do it.

tried spinning the hose round, but that didnt seem to help either...

3 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Sounds like rocket science to me! 

Not really, just basic graphic techniques.

However, don't ever forget, it was someone with artistic and creative skills that made the Esprit the design icon it has become.

9 hours ago, DaveyT said:

How much hassle did you have getting the angles right between the filler neck and the body? Any tips there?

for me, and I really struggled, ( but now realise I have to do it again cos I didnt silicone the inner!. 😡), once the filler tube was in place on both the tank and the filler neck, the mating face angles really did NOT want to play -- flush at the bottom but 5mm gap at the top) 

I got there in the end by iterative tightening of the screws to pull in the filler neck, but it felt like there was unnecessary stress involved to do it.

tried spinning the hose round, but that didnt seem to help either...

My S1 filler caps are perfect but it took a great deal of effort. On this car there is a slight angle difference, but it isn't very significant. I believe these cars probably left the factory with the cap at a slight angle to the body. Most of the cars I have seen all have this. The Beauty of silicone is you can easily cut it off at the body side and start again it just depends on how much effort you wish to put in. 

• Like 1

IMG_4257.thumb.PNG.f8777a590ea49dd6e625537f4b9354d0.PNGOn my Turbo I have obviously had to match the Bond car exactly includingbthe angle on the fuel caps!😋😋😋😋IMG_4256.thumb.PNG.9a7d49a307ec1d696d7f5fe12baf105c.PNG

Well back to business. On the passenger side Ear is there a grill or mesh on the intake? If somhas anyone got a picture please?

Question about the fuel caps there Fabian - Are the early and later interchangeable? Not too keen on the locking ones, and looking at swapping mine for the earlier smooth ones.

Slowly I hope we are gathering a knowledge database on here that a select few have kept to themselves. At the end of this I hope we know everything about these cars and have pictures of all of the bits. My last box of plating will be returned soon.

This is my next little project. The flap valve at the air intake. It's away being plated. It pivots on plastic bushes.IMG_4223.thumb.JPG.b9448492a3130aba42c292d3cbc5b993.JPGIMG_4226.thumb.JPG.70ce91df93d72ac96768db26161f03bf.JPGIMG_4229.thumb.JPG.4663c23295af371dfd0e200cf3795864.JPG

Air operated from a vacume reservoir, a big advance on the S1 that adds a bit of luxury! 

1 hour ago, markt said:

Question about the fuel caps there Fabian - Are the early and later interchangeable? Not too keen on the locking ones, and looking at swapping mine for the earlier smooth ones.

Hi Mark, the fuel neck on the S1 is totally different. The Turbo cap fits from the inside of the neck the S1 from the outside so the caps are not interchangeable.

• Like 1

TBH, though fiddly to get right, I had no problems fitting the fuel necks, seals, retaining rings or fuel caps to my S1. I don't think I was lucky either.

There are much more fiddly jobs.

Yep like phasing the steering on your own!

The stickers are on their wa to me. The originals were metal. These are Vinyl. I am told they will withstand over 120 degrees, which unless your headlight motor is malfunctioning. Shouldn't be an issue. I am on my second rubber paint test, the first was useless. Don't believe online reviews! I am trying Plasidip next, looks very good on you tube.