Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 129 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

2 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Interesting the gearstick shaft is the thicker black one on your car Fabian - would have thought it should be the thinner chrome one?🤔

Very impressive spot! Nothing gets past you guys! I may have to live with that - the thought of any more work doesn't appeal! 

Oh no, I'm going to have to take it apart! 😫😫😫😫😫😫

• Haha 2

One of the things I love about the earlier Turbos was the silver shaft - much more elegant than the stumpier thicker black one but understand why you’d want to leave it Fabian👍

• Like 1

Always trying to help I promise - I did swither whether to post about the gearstick but my Esprit OCD issues got the better of me.

So glad you’ve got the roof stereo all working - must be a very cool thing to have in a Turbo Esprit👌👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The chrome gear levers were thinner in diameter and prone to snapping in half as mine had done and had been welded back together. This meant I no longer had the lift for reverse though which I didn't like. You may struggle to find a chrome one intact. I was happy to upgrade to the beefier black lever for peace of mind.

Just to make this the most comprehensive Bond car blog ever here's some more snaps.....sorry Bibs 😬😬😬IMG_4882.thumb.PNG.903bf6270e88fb606faebbace0b350d1.PNG

IMG_4881.thumb.PNG.8458874ac59e47757ee870ebc1babc00.PNG

If anyone from the film industry is reading this my Bond cars will be available for a movie very soon! 

• Like 2

On 01/08/2018 at 06:03, skiing said:

Ahem. Interestingly for those who are interested in roof stereos - there seem to be four models I can find info on. the RM700 (which seems to be top of the range), the RM610 or RM E-610 which is the Essex car fitment. There is the RM310 and then also one called the RM555 which I have seen one picture of on a blog - This seemed to allow you to select components for your stereo including cassette deck, radio tuner and graphic equalizer. This looks an earlier model and a bit more analogue than the RM610 or RM700.

Henry, have you got any cockpit stereo original  fitting pictures you could post? I'm interested how Lotus fixed it. I can work a solution but I prefer to copy the original. Thanks.

On 01/08/2018 at 21:34, RichardJGC said:

No this is the car with the plaque which sold for £120,000? a few yrs back and ended up in the middle east. Will it ever be seen again?

FA89A898-76AD-40A1-B259-B18F38B763E1.jpeg

And yet the DB5 from Goldeneye Just went for nearly £2million. Esprit are hugely undervalued. 

• Sad 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Comes down to desirability @red vtec, as well as prominent marketing. As well as rarity, like with most classic cars.

Aston Martin prices will probably always outweigh Lotus cars. They are in a different league really. Though the DB5 was manufactured in similar numbers to the Esprit S1.

The fact that 1960's classic drive like trucks in comparison (especially the DB5), is of little consequence.

The Goldeneye DB5 was featured in a full sequence, racing Famke Jansen in here Ferrari 355(?), but with a legacy of the original in Goldfinger (another full and extensive sequence), and briefly featured in Thunderball. Whereas the Esprit Turbo/Turbo Esprit was used fleetingly in FYEO. Apart from it self-destructing and carrying skis it's presence in the film was minimal by comparison, and as a consequence is largely forgotten by those outside of the Lotus community. The Esprit S1 is a different matter, which appeared in a highly memorable sequence, which was integral to the plot. The mini-sub being used to spy on Stromberg's undersea laboratory. TSWLM also had a greater budget, having to make up ground on a lengthy legal battle which delayed the film franchise, and also to counter the lack lustre box office performance of The Man With The Golden Gun which preceded it. This bigger budget meant an increase in marketing spend, from which Lotus Cars and the Esprit S1 was able to benefit.

These are just the views of a producer, who deals with screenplays, as well as advertising and marketing.

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:55, Fridge said:

Comes down to desirability @red vtec, as well as prominent marketing. As well as rarity, like with most classic cars.

Aston Martin prices will probably always outweigh Lotus cars. They are in a different league really. Though the DB5 was manufactured in similar numbers to the Esprit S1.

The fact that 1960's classic drive like trucks in comparison (especially the DB5), is of little consequence.

The Goldeneye DB5 was featured in a full sequence, racing Famke Jansen in here Ferrari 355(?), but with a legacy of the original in Goldfinger (another full and extensive sequence), and briefly featured in Thunderball. Whereas the Esprit Turbo/Turbo Esprit was used fleetingly in FYEO. Apart from it self-destructing and carrying skis it's presence in the film was minimal by comparison, and as a consequence is largely forgotten by those outside of the Lotus community. The Esprit S1 is a different matter, which appeared in a highly memorable sequence, which was integral to the plot. The mini-sub being used to spy on Stromberg's undersea laboratory. TSWLM also had a greater budget, having to make up ground on a lengthy legal battle which delayed the film franchise, and also to counter the lack lustre box office performance of The Man With The Golden Gun which preceded it. This bigger budget meant an increase in marketing spend, from which Lotus Cars and the Esprit S1 was able to benefit.

These are just the views of a producer, who deals with screenplays, as well as advertising and marketing.

I agree the DB5 had more screen time etc, There were three cars used in GoldenEye two for driving, another for the harbour. It wasn't that long ago DB5 were being put on the scrap heap, it's only the value now that makes them worth saving. A full resto can easily cost £300,000 on top of the car in the first place. Two of the cars I have dealt with have sold for £1.3million & £1.9million+  Aston have been clever in making the most of the Bond link, even DB7, DB9 etc have the cache even though never been near a Bond film. 

I think the Esprit is still an iconic Bond car as people not into Lotus often still refer to them as "is that the James Bond car?" The screen time is far less, but the link is there. I cant recall anyone saying that about a 2CV.

Esprits are so undervalued, although the prices have increased over the past few years. I think they will start to take off now, look at he price of basic stuff such as RS turbos, Golf GTI's etc... This is the view of someone who deals with investment cars.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"