Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 130 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

2 hours ago, red vtec said:

I think they will start to take off now, look at he price of basic stuff such as RS turbos, Golf GTI's etc... This is the view of someone who deals with investment cars.

If anything I would have said that Esprit prices over the last 12 months are on the way down.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

2 hours ago, RichardJGC said:

It all comes down to supply and demand....always will.

We see RS500 Cosworth Sierra’s going for around 90-100k... there are a lot more Ford enthusiasts out there wanting those than Lotus enthusiasts wanting Esprits.

We all know the Esprit is still the supercar bargain but we are quite a small community in comparison.

Yes, folk forget that aspect.

With any commodity, rarity and demand increase the prices. Continuing the marketing aspect, Ford had a huge marketing budget and advertising footprint compared to Lotus.

The seemingly all pervasive sport models, but now relatively rare have increased those prices dramatically.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 04/08/2018 at 13:17, Lotusfab said:
On 01/08/2018 at 12:03, skiing said:

Ahem. Interestingly for those who are interested in roof stereos - there seem to be four models I can find info on. the RM700 (which seems to be top of the range), the RM610 or RM E-610 which is the Essex car fitment. There is the RM310 and then also one called the RM555 which I have seen one picture of on a blog - This seemed to allow you to select components for your stereo including cassette deck, radio tuner and graphic equalizer. This looks an earlier model and a bit more analogue than the RM610 or RM700.

Henry, have you got any cockpit stereo original  fitting pictures you could post? I'm interested how Lotus fixed it. I can work a solution but I prefer to copy the original. Thanks.

Hi Fabian, sorry, my car did not have it fitted originally, I fitted it myself but perhaps one of the genuine dry sumpers might have some pictures?

The fitting at the front end would be in no doubt, as a bracket is supplied with the unit which would be screwed to the wood cant rail above the windscreen, but the interesting aspect is how the cut-off rear end was attached.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardJGC said:

I dont believe so but maybe could form a neat solution that way.

I just formed a basic bracket with a couple of standoffs. Its a fiddly solution but worked.

09C714BF-4966-4CB9-A14C-CE877DECBD6C.jpeg

1F7ECCA4-7FF9-48FE-AE2F-892DD5D949CF.jpeg

You must be getting on at some rate if the interior is at this stage Richard - when’s the big reveal?👍

Haha don’t be deceived....that was the trial fitting some 15yrs ago???

Am awaiting the return of some refurbished suspension components before i can crack on. Big reveal maybe 12 months time. We will see. No actual deadline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to Andy I have measured the dry sump amp plate. It's made of plywood here are the dimensions. The sides are sloped and it's symmetrical.IMG_4915.thumb.JPG.2cbdd9b0f129b0c578c90208c98b0818.JPG

It fits in the front of the passenger footwell on brackets. The cutout goes at the bottom. The only problem being you need a rocking horse s... 610 cockpit amp to fit behind it! 

I have totally rewired the aerial electrics including the relay. I was happy with my work and tested the aerial. It extended perfectly, but on the retract it jams!!! 😫😫😫😫😫😫My wiring is perfect Its the last outer piece of the mast, it exits the housing and jams on retraction. It was allegedly new. I will have to try and fix it in situ. A job for later as I need to get this back together. I'm very pleased the electrics on this car are simple. To get that door light working was not easy though.  The switch had failed, the fuse had blown and the bulb holder needed repairing. Nothing is easy! Now for the other door! 

3 hours ago, skiing said:

Fabian, what colour wiring is used for your door lights? Thanks, Henry

IMG_4936.thumb.JPG.7004e4b22bd11fec079312f1ce3ae2f8.JPGI replaced the Lucas connectors. Is that purple or Mauve? Curiously the door switches have a diode leading to them. Both of these wires are positive until one is ground by the switch. IMG_4935.thumb.PNG.f67932471e995bb8f362f215ce01c45c.PNGStill got the other side to do but the RM310 test was scheduled in first! Andys IPhone mod is the business! Quite a good sound from this vintage piece! 

I have nearly sorted the under dash wiring. It's a good idea to get as many systems working and checked before the windscreen and dash are in. Then it gets very difficult and time consuming to fix faults. To say nothing of lying upside down trying to spot and modify wires under the dash! 

Just the vacume pipes,  air ducts, amp and underdash carpet Then the dash, finally the binnacle and the rest of the wiring. Still a lot of work to do! 

• Like 2

i also have the silver (much nicer) gear stick, why did they changed that?

this looks great!

esprit turbo silver dry sump (4).jpg

• Like 2

I seem to remember that it was changed to the black gear stick when a different gearbox was used although I think I've mentioned this in the past and was told I was wrong. 

Aerial fixed. Very simple a bit of tape wound around the lower mast. The electrics are going back nicely. The bulb type items are the fuse holders for the door switches. Why is it the wiring diagrams don't show all the components? I believe the round thing near the door is a capacitor? I can't find any diagram to indicate where it connects to. A genius has been at work on my electrics and removed elements. Probably because they didn't understand the wiring. The mirror control circuit has also been messed with. The L/R switch under the dash should be the electric mirror selector according to a diagram? Anyone with any pictures of the wiring this would be a great help, else I'll have to design it myself - which takes time! IMG_4937.thumb.JPG.1152b7a5ef544cc6d386d6ddb2a6ea0f.JPGFuse for door switch and door IMG_4939.thumb.JPG.8ba9c1f0350f79d20e84815cf6faf0e0.JPGlights

loom secured to cross bar with P clips.IMG_4941.thumb.JPG.0100681a8ff67cf1bb92bb9afc920b57.JPGold relay and new aerial relay on the left, how technology moves on!IMG_4942.thumb.JPG.451e2eb6212347435795bc3da73da97c.JPGunidentified alien device or just a Lotus addition??? Think Andy told me it was a capacitor? Interior light delay for exit? Can't find it on the wiring diagram. Any ideas much appreciated. I can only think it connects to the door switch, but the wiring has long since disappeared? I also have a lone red wire that goes nowhere from the fuse box. My guess is the electric mirrors failed and a genius set to work cutting all the mirror wires out of the system? Classic car experts aye! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Never mind it will be factory correct soon enough!