Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 132 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The original alarm, which I tried and failed to identify at the start of this project,  I think was a pulsafe factory fitted system. I stumbled across this diagram. This seems to fit the switches that are fitted?IMG_5046.thumb.PNG.b36a6ac933d4591858c4a2ef362e8b1c.PNG

On mine the drivers side has a huge area of rubber mat which covers most of the carpet. Never liked this, and not sure if its normal. How much rubber matting does the bond car have?

• Gold FFM

Original rubber matting is standard 3mm ribbed 10"x9" for the heel mats,  6"x9" arch protectors, I stock it on the roll if you need some cut.

On the leading edge of the arch protectors the carpet is cut and seamed face to face to enable a crisp 45 degree inner corner at the front of the arch where it joins the front bulkhead.DSC_0391.thumb.JPG.d2edb7d0719fef5fb74c5c7b58179f26.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the offer. May Rae u up on it! Just finished installing the new choke cable. Wish I had all these pictures when I built the S1! IMG_5049.thumb.JPG.8ce6c6703b27fa5475728ba5da8273a8.JPGIMG_5051.thumb.JPG.e65552fe6658ed21817b8a607abf831b.JPGNote the new Lucas connector. I would keep the employee who thought of this on! 

Mind you we would have to have sacked quite a few over the course of this project! First in the queue would be the person who made the pedal box 5 mm too narrow making it extremely difficult to connect the pedals!!! 

• Haha 1

After a mammoth effort the interior is about 60 per cent done. It's now all down to the professionals and Steve Fulcher for the rest! Once some missing vacuum pipes and new throttle cable arrive I will be able to install the dash and binnacle. Then it's engine detailing. I have a sonic bath which I am itching to try out on the plastic and carbs. Apparently they will come up like new, but seeing is believing. Washer bottle will be going in there too! The gearbox, clutch and engine shouldn't take too long once all the new cooling pipes are in. Should have this in one piece fairly soon! Oh, Wastegate rebuild with new diaphragm and driveshaft rebuilds still to do! 

• Like 1

Finally got the throttle cable in with the footrest. I'm still waiting for two vacuum elbows and some pipe before I can attach the binnacle. The throttle cable installation is tricky. You can't afford to get it wrong, there must be no cable snags. I had to drill out the rivnuts that holds the plastic footrest and cable sheild. I'm glad the dash wasn't back in! Still working on the interior, but it's starting to look like a brand new James Bond car! The leather carpet binding won't be easy. The hyde has to be thinned down using a special machine. Fortunately uk Hyde have one. Not many people bind carpet with leather these days. But since the original has it why scrimp? All of the interior is now Lotus Gold except the seats. I located the heel mat on eBay. It always take a lot longer than you might think. I filled the speaker holes in the door cards. I used a black gel coat first then polyester resin and fiberglass. All finished off with a surface filler. It came out really well but will be under foam and never seen again!  

I'm trying to source the correct gear lever. If anyone has one they have switch out and don't need Im you man! 

• Like 2

Well, just thought I would putbthe binnacle together then this happened!!,!IMG_5109.thumb.JPG.4b1a151d730052a1b6327237af815a46.JPGI couldn't put it back without a clean and restore. Now I have to source foam for the instrument surrounds.

• Like 1

Managed to test the boost gauge with my compressor. Only tried 1.5 psi as didn't want to blow it up! Works perfectly lets hope it does when the engine is running! 

As I have has the bottom of the engine off I'm wondering whether I should invest in some graphine grease when I put it all back? 

Hi Roo, funny you should mention that - as we speak the offending instrument is soaking in POR 15 metal prep!The speedo is next in line! All of the bezels are also in there after a lot of scraping of the decomposed foam gaskets! IMG_5111.thumb.JPG.a1365a8acf9654dacc182b4f424756a8.JPGThe rubber seal is on the lower left. This is the one that goes between the panel and the instrument.

Still need to clean them all.

I have cleaned the washer bottle in a sonic bath together with all the air vents. I am considering putting the switchs in, any thoughts? I suppose if they are not dried perfectly afterwards they will rust???

Removing the binnacle always reminds me of the Wheeler Dealers episode where Ed is removing it and his pained expression when discovering there is not just a couple of multi-pin plugs connecting everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice! Zinc plate?

2 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Removing the binnacle always reminds me of the Wheeler Dealers episode where Ed is removing it and his pained expression when discovering there is not just a couple of multi-pin plugs connecting everything!

It looks complicated but it really quite simple. The only thing that stumped me was where the wider control box went, then I spotted the screw holes in the dash nextbto the steering column! YOu can just make it out here.IMG_5102.thumb.JPG.2406cffef7fb2d1fcde34c439809cb48.JPG

• Like 1

Fab I clean my switches in the ultrasonic as well. I then hit them with a hair dryer to get rid of the moisture and a spray of electrical cleaner to finish off. If needs be you can use WD40 to keep water out.

Better pic left hand binnacle panel. Note I still have to fit the fibre optic.its on the lower switch only. The light for the upper switch clips on.(green wires on left).IMG_5119.thumb.JPG.2584a4baa55a4c706c58a07bc1977ad9.JPGIMG_5120.thumb.JPG.a4685674ad0d4fe66fc7e56f8a5db572.JPG