Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 152 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

If I ever do another one it would be a JPS, but due to my finances I don't think there will be another unless I sell one of these. The trouble is once they are done I don't think I will be able to split them up, it's like having a pair of twins! It's been interesting getting parts, dealing with people all over the world, sometimes even using google translate!

I hope to complete this project this year and achieve the best copy of the Copper Fire car probably ever made. I'm really hoping to get both to the NEC for November. I don't know why but recently the progress on the Copper fire has almost ground to a halt. I keep finding myself driving all over the country to get parts or work done for it! Something has to give soon and it start to go back together. I have extensively checked the engine with PNM and have all the parts needed to reassemble. It's the prep work that takes the time. I never expected to be rebuilding the engine and carbs!

Still all in hand now. The wheel lips return polished in the next few days, about two weeks for the carb bodies and bearings. I like doing electrics so will get the wing mirror wiring sorted next. 

I have accumulated a lot if extra parts so will start selling some off I now have three graphic panels! 

Incidently the internal door handle surrounds are the same on the Scimitar and can bebboutbon ebay for £3.95! 

IMG_4087.thumb.PNG.378256cb37d50e308ab0675bbf2c828a.PNG

I understand exactly what you mean. I like building things and a challenge and that really what restoring a Lotus is all about. I remember the models of these cars which I had when I was young. It seems very cool to me to make the real thing. I never thought I would ever own a James Bond car, let alone two, happy days!

IMG_6278.thumb.JPG.99a214e34b389071e7d98e840533f8cd.JPGIMG_6277.thumb.JPG.538dc1559993e1be712d5d42fd3026fe.JPGSpent a lot of time cleaning, more to do. Quite a simple engine. The oil pump pressurises the area in the low picture. The oil flows through all the galleries to the bearing shells and head, I have cleaned all the oil ways with pipe cleaners and compressed air. IMG_6276.thumb.JPG.4b3a0d5e339ada6509db26041a2af00b.JPGSecond carb parts all cleaned and bagged up. 

Now need to reclean the head and all the other parts ready for engine reassembly.

• Like 1

Have you accessed all the area's of the longitudinal gallery, does not seem so in the pictures you have posted.. and very important , especially when cleaned with and media, like bead or aqua blasting .  It will be a bit late when the crank back in.   It is also worth removing all the head and MBH studs,  checking threads and re-torquing to spec..  The threads are rolled on these and there were some bad ones back in the early 80's with flat tops which eventually pulled out under load.. rare occurrence but I have experienced them so always check just to be sure.. Also if an engine has been previously worked on, you need to be sure they are fitted correct..    

I've cleaned all five galleries to the shells and the cylinder head oil gallery in the block. I didn't remove the plugs under advice from Pete. By longditudinal do you mean the plug one inthe centre to the middle bearing?

whats your take on the sealant please Dave. 

21 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

Have you accessed all the area's of the longitudinal gallery, does not seem so in the pictures you have posted.. and very important , especially when cleaned with and media, like bead or aqua blasting .  It will be a bit late when the crank back in.   It is also worth removing all the head and MBH studs,  checking threads and re-torquing to spec..  The threads are rolled on these and there were some bad ones back in the early 80's with flat tops which eventually pulled out under load.. rare occurrence but I have experienced them so always check just to be sure.. Also if an engine has been previously worked on, you need to be sure they are fitted correct..    

Hi Dave, do you use permabond 136 or Wellseal, thanks.

3 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I didn't remove the plugs under advice from Pete. By longditudinal do you mean the plug one inthe centre to the middle bearing?

That is fair enough ,  But I can not see how you can access all area's without removing them .   There are unseen pockets that can hold un- desirable matter if not accessed...   Different engine builders have different methods, you must follow the advise of your expert...     I use a loctite zero gasket, I think Peter uses the Red version ,  I would of thought he would have sold you some during your recent visit..  

I used nylon ties with the end bent and pipe cleaners and compressed air.The engine has been cleaned before so the block is pretty spotless. There was practically no dirt anywhere except the water gallery. This probably camevfrom the rad when I ran it for 20 mins as a test. Will have to give Pete a call and get some Loctite. What's the issue with permabond 136, seems to be for metal to metal joints?

Although I have to say I prefer to use whatvevryone else has already tested!

I didn't aqua blast the block. Just the head and bearing housings no intake manifold. It's going to take a while to clean the head! 

I spent ages cleaning the water gallery in the corner where the plug is, there was a lot of debris in there! 

The can see the engine is going to take me a lot longer to assemble than an expert. I have to triple check everything as I can't reassemble it from memory! 

I'm now counting the number if locating dowels, having looked it Up! 

6 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I used nylon ties with the end bent and pipe cleaners and compressed air

Have a look at this pic , You will see there is a sizable pocket where all sorts of matter gathers..which can not be accessed any other way,   For the little time it takes to remove a couple of plugs I can not understand why any one would not..   Also the small plug on the fly wheel end will enable you to pull though the whole length of the gallery and crossing points.

HPIM0136.thumb.JPG.98747ff3bce6e987c38aa1d3b9275383.JPG   

16 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

What's the issue with permabond 136, seems to be for metal to metal joints?

None as far as i am aware , i have used it for years without  issue.  

18 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I didn't aqua blast the block. Just the head and bearing housings no intake manifold. It's going to take a while to clean the head! 

I remove the plugs as part of strip down,  then flush the galleries before any cleaning to see what is in there , Its amazing what crap lies in there .. I then seal the galleries for media cleaning.. then flush and clean again as part of pre assembly clean..   Best to remove the plugs on the head galleries as well, along with the roll pins, there is no way you will get a thorough clean otherwise..  re-seal the plus with 572.  

• Like 1

IMG_6283.thumb.JPG.ad942120ef7ca640f05ceff4eb80a573.JPGIMG_6284.thumb.JPG.654fb6eada6a906482cecd83ac3a7871.JPGIMG_6286.thumb.JPG.292e45a9431e7d3314e40bc9269f5a46.JPGHave cleaned all these parts really well. I don't believe a garage would invest the time I have, the one advantage of doing it all yourself! There's practically no wear on the crank, Pete measured it for me! 

I am debating whether or not to remove the plugs, I found no debris whatever in the oil ways. I could put my borescope in and have a look! Seems itvhas already been done and now I'm doing it again!

IMG_6282.thumb.JPG.4a18f08ad7564d6217532acdb345459c.JPG

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Have cleaned all these parts really well. I don't believe a garage would invest the time I have, the one advantage of doing it all yourself! 

I think you will actually find any garage or engine builder worth their salt would, It is not in their interest to build something that would fail from not attending to cleaning parts.. 

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

I am debating whether or not to remove the plugs, I found no debris whatever in the oil ways. I could put my borescope in and have a look! Seems itvhas already been done and now I'm doing it again!

You must do as you see fit.  if you have not removed the plugs you have not accessed all the oil galleries so can not be sure.. your bore scope must be very small, but will still not show the whole picture due to the angles.. 

As I say any garage worth their salt would remove the plugs to check and clean..  less than 20 minutes to do the whole job seems a no brainier to me ....   But you must do what you feel is best.. I was only trying to give insight from my experiences,  Sorry i did not intend to upset the flow of your thread. .. ..    

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. My only thought is I was told not to remove them. I did intend to before  this advice. Will have to look into it further. I've plenty of work to do so can hold the assembly until I have decided his to proceed. I still need to get some Loctite anyway!

I recently rebuilt the entire front suspension in my wife's discovery three. It's basically  a truck. All the parts are about four times the size of the Lotus, which is like a toy in comparison. The torques on the discovery go up to 270 NM. I havevall the kit to torque to this level and remove very stiff bolts.  So I'm thinking maybe I should just take the plugs out. But I will consult Pete first who told me to leave them alone.

42 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Dave. My only thought is I was told not to remove them.

That's fine,  I only mentioned it as you are so particular about every detail of cleanliness ,  I thought it was possibly something you were not aware of..    It's probably best I don't confuse things with my input when you already have the advise of others.. Good luck with the project,  I look forward to seeing the finished product.   

• Like 1

Hi Dave, please continue with the inputs. The aim is to construct the best possible engine I can. You've obviously got a lot of experience and good ideas that I can put to good use. Thanks for all the help and guidance.