Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 155 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Well, thanks for all the info. Whilst you Chaps have been sorting the graphics I have been installing valves!  The cleaning is laborious to say the least. I have cleaned it so many times my fingertips are wearing off! IMG_6350.thumb.JPG.eee2fe7f732b597bad51798cd9645d24.JPG

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

I have never seen an early Turbo with the long T on external. Even the Lotus press car had the short T

But the S1 and S2 had the long T

Oops, I got that the wrong way around. The early cars had the short 't'. 

Sorry for the confusion. :)

It's getting there......

6 hours ago, Andyww said:

Thats the same as the one I have here. So they used a different version of the logo from the one on the side of the car.

This is the photoshop with the logo changed. This is probably the best it will go in pixel form. Someone posted some Esprit logos online in vector form but they are very inaccurate compared to the originals although the curves etc will be perfect so its a trade off.

HeaterPanel2.jpg

I downloaded the TE vector file some time ago and tweaked it in illustrator for local reproduction. Think I still have it somewhere. Could dig it up and send it if that helps. It might not be perfect, but it can be scaled to any size without losing resolution. Can also be easily placed in photoshop. Let me know

the t at the end is kind of out, on second thought (in my file). It would need further tweaking...

56006935-CA14-4B04-97E3-712446CD6D8A.jpeg

• Like 2

Ad initium

4 hours ago, Gis said:

I downloaded the TE vector file some time ago and tweaked it in illustrator for local reproduction. Think I still have it somewhere. Could dig it up and send it if that helps. It might not be perfect, but it can be scaled to any size without losing resolution. Can also be easily placed in photoshop. Let me know

Thanks for the offer, I think I have gone as far as I want with this. The logo is not bad, nor is the text. The iffy parts are the curved lines.

It remains to be seen how it will print. Producing sharp graphics for block printing in fixed colours is tricky as antialiasing which tricks the eye and removes the pixelly edges is removed by the printing process. The original panels were not that sharp so it likely to come out better than an original anyway.

These panels are quite complex. There is a thick layer underneath which has a green and white filter layer printed on it. Its mostly green except for the red and blue areas which are white. Then there is the black/white/blue/red top layer.

The old panel I have here has the problem which many have, the logo is faded owing to the heat from the bulbs behind. Definitely worth replacing with LEDs.

Shim Calcs

I have decided to target the midrange value for inlet and exhaust as the car will not get much use and I want them to be inspec on first attempt.

I'm targeting 0.006 inch on the inlet and 0.011 inch on the exhaust. 

I just did my exhaust ones Fabian. Bit of a faf with cam housing on and off but got 6 at 0.010 and  2 at 0.011

• Like 1

Good luck! Took me 3 attempts with my inlets but got there in the end. 

BTW, I noticed someone is selling a bag of shims on eBay for £20 if you need a 'random' selection on hand. Otherwise I found QED Motorsport the cheapest.

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Thanks to Thomas(USA) and Andy I have the Aircon bits. Now the centre consol .can go back together. Thanks Chaps!IMG_6392.thumb.JPG.09ee20086dea0fb153f9f0fbe2d753c7.JPGPete at PNM has been invaluable in helping with parts and the engine. I have reached a milestone. The Cylinder head is going back in today with a new gasket. I have new shims and should be able to get on to the valves soon. I have had to invest in a new torque wrench that can do 6 ft lbs and upwards. There's a lot of kit required to assemble the engine correctly.I have been enjoying the engine build.but as I say without Pete who has been doing this for forty years it would have been much more difficult. 

http://www.pnmparts.co.uk/

Their online shop. The shop is new. Although parts are being added daily there is only a small fraction on there. You need to call if you can't find it. Also they have many many used parts that arn't shown. Call Pete or John. Pete has a real passion for this, has been doing it for forty years. He literally knows everything. More importantly after forty years he knows everything that's not  written in the manuals! I hope he writes a book! These guys are so helpful it was a pleasure to go and spend a day up in the Wirral, near Liverpool (Beatles Contry - for you US guys).

• Like 2

IMG_6394.thumb.JPG.6f2d7236763d6e904f9466334454d8c3.JPGOh. After listening to many view points I have decided to use paint and ACF 50 on this engine. Paint peels but has its place. I have used it on the block. I can't bring myself to paintnover the other castings as they look stunning. So I have turned to the aircraft industry. ACF 50 is a corrosion inhibitor. I plan to coat all the parts with it. 

Now for the great Reveal! These are the rarest wheel lips you are ever going to see. Polished to perfection by a Chap called Angelo in a little workshop just south of Horsham in a village called Cowfold. I think your agree it's a stunning job. Of course the original were Anodised. I like most car guys in the USA like bright shiney things. So this is my one deviation from the Bond car purists. I think your agree it's a pretty stunning deviation! 

https://m.facebook.com/AM.MetalPolishing/?ref=hl

Thanks Angelo! 

Bit heartreaking to dismantle my front wheels but it's a job that has to be done!

• Like 1

Stocks coach work shas just  put aset of comps on ebay 2k ,   Like buses,  non around and then they all come at once lol 

Great work on the rims Fabian,  pain to keep clean and not factory finish but they will  look the nuts :thumbup:

• Like 1

A

Yep if only they had come up earlier! I wonder if the price will drop when all the cars are restored? 

Yes like buses I now have the later style lips to sell, when I take them off the car. I can make two cx500 front Lotus wheels to sell,  but 5/130 Pcd. The hubs can be changed to accommodate them. 

I'm slowly replacing every bolt . Most if the bolt sizes are in the parts manual. The two that hold the sprockets on the camshaft are 10 mm x 35 mm 8.8 grade.

If your building an S1/S2/S2.2 then have a look in the Turbo manual. A lot of the fixings are the same, butbthe Turbo manual gives you the sizes where they are missing from the other manual.

• Like 2

Solution gear knob 8 mm to 7 mm. Fill with J B weld and tap out to 7 mm.IMG_6416.thumb.JPG.6505ceecefbeaebcf5c72de3b4caeaf0.JPGIMG_6417.thumb.JPG.d2d6dcfb3511929bdc2aaf7b7139c83c.JPG

IMG_6422.thumb.JPG.1a9bab556fd4bf44b4ecb6f1356dc71a.JPGThis plug bolt must have an O ring! Not supplied with head gasket kit! 

S and J sell them and the cam housing studs.

Don't call me here I'm very very busy! Valve clearances! 

• Like 1

Hi Dan there was one on there and it's confirmed by the parts manual. O. Ring on the way.

I repaired the cylinder head water outlet with J B weld it was badly pitted and may have seeped water.IMG_6425.thumb.JPG.13264a50fd4dd2511a963a32a5bb587e.JPGIMG_6426.thumb.JPG.e4f07fc6b81b680bddf01c527c33431f.JPG

Installing the camshaft seals is tricky without exactly the correct size metal ring. Push the seal in too far and the oil way will block. Getting them in square is the issue. I had to prep the seal faces, they were burred and wouldn't have sealed properly. 

One of the cam tower studs is damaged so I'm replacing it. 

• Like 2