Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 168 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

If you've been stuck inside your car unable to open the door from inside here's my fix. Wire lock the control wire to the door handle. It has a nasty habit if pinging off when you want to get out! I did this in my S1 and no more problems. Notice the second control wire has a screwed on plate that holds it in the handle. Without this it will pop off also! IMG_7099.thumb.JPG.d8df750690df54a606f17e72d803ecc1.JPGIMG_7101.thumb.JPG.07a85be2c32e49eee8334a51ace68017.JPG

• Like 2

Now you must get this spotless. So the pin can slide. I'm polishing it with a dremmel. Then grease copper slip and back after cleaningband painting the hub. Pretty grim in there!IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.ec70089a3dea239c350c2dc144cb3d05.JPG

IMG_7155.thumb.JPG.734098eafbb4009cd8eef47ab2315427.JPGIMG_7156.thumb.JPG.a603305c44298cd0f760b32c1bdec11a.JPGDon't think this has been apart since 1982! I have a 6 tonne press and needed just about all of the six tonnes o press the shaft out, scary stuff!  The bearing fell to pieces. Some of it still stuck in the hub carrier. Andy has just done this. He removed the bearing by cutting a piece of bar to fit between the two slots he then pressing it out. I will try and replicate this. New bearings are in order. The Compomotive car has a hardened washer on the hub/ link side.

Yes, those things can be very tough going. One of mine was OK, but the other was a pig. The risk of cracking the hub carrier casting is high if not careful. And they're difficult to come by.

I didn't have any issues fitting the sliding spacer on the lower bolt. Plenty of LM grease. Copper grease can be an issue between steel and alloy. Read the piece on one of the Esprit sites.

I'm puzzled however, why you're doing this now. I thought you'd finished with the chassis and running gear?

I had a change at work which meant I didn't have time to do the hubs. I had to get the chasis rolling so the body could be put back on it. I have also discovered I was missing the factory engine harness. Luckily there was a new one on eBay. I picked it up from Bell and Coville. My jobs are still racking up almost three years of hard work. What's made this so much more time consuming is striving for a James Bond exact copy. Never mind I'm geitting there now. Picking up seats tomorrow from Mr Fulcher, very excited! 

Thanks to Chris on here I have just replaced my defective rear Goodyear NCT tyre. The other had a leak and an inner tube! Now I have the fun of painting the Goodyear letters! 

I know the feeling. Just put the bonnet stay on my S1 after nearly a month off from working on the car. That took an hour of fettling.

It'll be 3 years this summer for me. Hopefully it'll be on the road by its anniversary.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm very pleased with it. It's a total labour of love. Everything takes ages, though most things are quite straightforward, just have to be careful.

I hadn't started it when we met at  the Brands Hatch meet. I came away inspired by yours, @JNW3's and @jonroberts' S1s, and convinced that I hadn't actually bought a glorified kit car. Which it is of course, but it can look like a great production car with care.

It's now virtually ready for the road. Just need to sort the instrumentation, then I can fit the binnacle, and then the windscreen and rear hatch glass.

Though being self-employed, and with the Brexit economic slow down taking an effect on business I can't afford the interior retrim. So that'll have to wait until another year. As yet unspecified... Could be quite a while.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fridge said:

https://www.instagram.com/davidjinks/

I can't post photos on here as I'm not a full member, and don't really need to be TBH. I had already acquired the Lotus Archive certificate etc.

Some photos on my Instagran feed.

David, you can attach photos via the "drag files here . .." link at bottom of your reply draughts. FYI

18 minutes ago, drdoom said:

David, you can attach photos via the "drag files here . .." link at bottom of your reply draughts. FYI

Full members only I think. I blew my limit by the end of 2016.

Edited by Fridge