Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 181 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

26 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Not sure what the brass slip on connections are like on the FPR,  can they be removed and replaced with male to female unions to fit aero quip connections  ? 

No they are permanently attached to the FPR. Its not ideal but dont see any alternative. There is an even worse connection on the metal cross pipe which has straight cut-off ends.

Braided hose is generally used where there is risk of abrasion, thats probably why they used it originally but does have the issue whereby you cant see what condition the hose under the braiding is in. But all new hoses remove this as a risk at least for the forseeable future.

• Like 2

No, it's a generic Ballast coil.

If NASA need any heat sheilding they should call me!IMG_7847.thumb.JPG.e037e412da03965786c73bc24581a968.JPG

Now I've upgraded to a high torque starter the alternator wire is too short!IMG_7848.thumb.JPG.b22244908156c7fb3d61e6f0f8206c02.JPGIMG_7849.thumb.JPG.0a9f59a83458405e4bb68f63b6131763.JPG 

• Like 1

The older Lumenition needs ballast coil and a resistor. I think the ones they currently sell can be used with a non-ballast coil and no resistor.

• Like 1

Turbo fitting

So the Turbo Outlet rotates IMG_7850.thumb.JPG.292749933cf144bb11a44b0e7b3481be.JPG can get the best position. Roatate it by slackening the lock nuts. what are these copper rings for? I can only find reference to gaskets. This is a generic gasket set so perhaps they are nit required?

40 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Turbo fitting

So the Turbo Outlet rotates IMG_7850.thumb.JPG.292749933cf144bb11a44b0e7b3481be.JPG can get the best position. Roatate it by slackening the lock nuts. what are these copper rings for? I can only find reference to gaskets. This is a generic gasket set so perhaps they are nit required?

I think they are for a water cooled Turbo.

Brakes

Well I have completed the rear driver side caliper installation. The passengers side continues to be a problem. The latest delay the wrong seal kit has arrived! I'm not sure whether or not the caliper ratchet is worn or just not operating correctly. The only way I can be sure is to dismantle the rear driver side and examine it, as it's working! 

My next problem is the coil box. I am stumped as to how it attaches to the the surround. I'm staring to think I have e wrong parts. When I bought the car none of this was assembled. I knew it would be too easy if this went back together smoothly!

Im nearly there but these cars don't give up easily, meanwhile the till keeps ringing

,as I head into the stratosphere costswise! Building a Bond car is anything but cheap! Then when add in the FYEO Seiko and outfit! 

If anyone has any 1982 coil box picture that might help! Thanks.IMG_7854.thumb.JPG.84e866258aa210352249e1f69b4605d6.JPG

I ordered the complete sealkits from SJ and only the actual piston seal was correct. All the others were just a random collection of parts which bore no relation to the calipers.

I phoned them and they said they cant get the correct parts, so they refunded the difference between the complete kit and the piston-only kit and I had to put the old ones back on the handbrake mechanism.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2019 at 05:30, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Richard. That confirms it. The coil box is all wrong. My next problem has been found! Anyone got a coil box to sell? 

Hello Fabian,

I'm on my way out to the shop momentarily, will try to access the coil box I recovered from an 82 Dry Sump for a look.

• Like 1

... and now for the good news, bad news moment: I was recently examining what is likely the part desired, however my work since has situated the body where it makes access to the related stash impossible. No easy way to move it so cannot commit further for the next 2 weeks or so.

Hate to see your patience taxed mate.

• Like 1

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.72f8ff1e57b9a24a443f2475355b49aa.JPGIMG_0016.thumb.JPG.23a5d70e32714d1b0e81bde7eeadf6d2.JPGWell looks ok from the front. Rear not so good! 

My brake woes  continue. I would say I'm now near to expert on the rear calipers. I have taken them apart, put them back together and taken them on and off so many times! 😫😫😫😫😡

Well why doesn't the handbrake work?

I have bought two more new pistons. The ratchet stem on the back if the pistons is the same. The problem is the caliper ratchet is worn. It's impossible to tell this by looking, but easy to test for when the caliper is apart. If the piston and ratchets are working properly engage them both and twist to engage the teeth. You should not be able to  compress the piston against the caliper mechanism. If it slips it's worn. In my case the caliper part is worn and the piston is ok. This is the worst case scenario. I need a used caliper!!! On top of that the sleeve nut on the Turbo boost pipe has sheared off at the waste gate end! 😫😫😫😫😫

Never mind I will fix all of this!IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.60b7288f07d86a75d02f9f61404a7b36.JPGso if you mesh them like this you should nit be able to push them together. If they slip, one side or both is worn out!

You'll find a pair, but they're now becoming quite rare. Once that fine rachet mechanism becomes worn they're toast.  I thought you'd know that been Mr Spy Who Loved Me.

I'll PM you a question I have about late S1 rear fuel line routing....

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

I never did them on the S1 as Dave Noble, the previous owner, had restored the chassis, engine and brakes. They are very simple once you seee how they work, like the rest of the car. Of course the Turbo only resembles the S1 externally. In all,other areas it's a different car. I love my S1 and its iconic,  but engineering wise the Turbo is streets ahead literally!