Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 264 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

2 hours ago, PhilW said:

Well Im in shock Fabian.   Cant believe you sold but life goes on I guess.  Whats the next project?

Two cars was too much for me! Plan to enjoy the S1. He's a real enthusiast like me so she is in good hands. He will take on where I left off. I am enjoying watching how far he can push it, without any stress myself!😀😀😀😀

1 hour ago, Bling said:

Wow, after all that dedication you sold. I didn't see it advertised so a little surprised.

I didn’t advertise and had no plans to sell, it just sort of happened. He’s the correct owner for this car. You will see it a lot from now on. I didn’t really have time or space for two cars. 

• Like 1

He has done all the checks and all is good. He will be setting off at 1900😬😬😬😬. Lets find out how good my engineering skills are! 😀😀😀😀

Next ride Cortina -well maybe if he gets back from Norfolk!😀😀😀

• Like 1

Car has been driving now for three hours and 42 mins at about 55 mph. Oil pressure about 50 PSI at 2600 rpm. Temp constant 75 degrees. Should arrive in Hethel area in about 0030.. Will have done about 4 hrs 30 mins total. Keep an eye out tomorrow if you live in Norwich around the Hethel area for a Bond Lotus!

Only used about a 1/4 of the fuel so far. Very economical. The driver is reporting live during the trip. Far less stressful than me driving it!😄😄😄😄

As we speak the car is driving back to Manchester after driving all around Norfolk this morning. Its about half way back with just over two  hours to go. Good to see so far she is performing to the standard I had hoped after about 2000 hrs of restoration work! The new owner says we shall be off to Cortina soon, so watch this space…..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

You are ramping up the drama Fabian!  Mine has never failed to start or get me to and from a destination in in about 40k miles and 26 years of ownership...   A well maintained Lotus is a perfectly reliable thing.

Thats a great record, hope this one is the same. He got back no issues. He said its all bedding in gear change, clutch, steering all perfect. Engine like a swiss watch he said! He drove about 12 hours in two days. It does seem to be very well sorted now. Hes out again later today. Cortina and Back will be a great test at the next level. I never had the time to do any of this with it. I spent most of my time sorting it all!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I am happy to report the new owner took the car to Lotus In The Peaks, something I had wanted to do - but in the end didn’t get the opportunity. The Northern Lotus fans seemed to like it, as it one car of the show.
I hope to make it to this show at some point and bring the S1. Lotus really cracked it with the colouring and design of the Copper Fire FYEO Lotus. Its like a full size matchbox toy that you always wanted. 

• 2 months later...

Happy to say the new owner drove again from Manchester to Hethel, some four hours each way with Skis on! The car has now done this twice and is driving perfectly, without any faults at all. A major achievement for a Turbo! 
it has now covered about 3000 miles with the new owner. 
hopefully some of you that live near Hethel went along to the 75th anniversary and took a look at the car. Think this second engine build can now be confirmed as a complete success. Hopefully anyone undertaking an engine or gearbox rebuild will read this blog very carefully and avoid all the initial mistakes I made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was at Hethel. I saw the car for the first time and was chatting to the owner. Car is truly superb Fabian. 

• Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 07:32, PhilW said:

I was at Hethel. I saw the car for the first time and was chatting to the owner. Car is truly superb Fabian. 

Thanks Phil very kind of you to say so. I am glad the new owner is getting the Lotus out there for all to see. Hopefully contributing to promoting what is a very underrated classic car!