Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 54 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I used PastParts to rebuild my S1 brake master cylinder as they were no longer available.  They had to remanufacture the piston as it was out of tolerance. I did have problems when bleeding the system as the piston would stick just before full retraction. I solved that by disassembling and using red rubber grease on the internals. If there was a new part available I'd probably have gone that route.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Thought of new which is cheaper, but don't think the barrels are stainless steel so they will rot with time?

If the brake parts are rotting it means the fluid is not being changed often enough. This should not happen.

• Like 1

Both the slave and master cylinders on my car are badly pitted due corrosion caused by moisture in the hydraulic fluid. Could hone them but stainless in better, never need to do the job again.

On 05/07/2017 at 21:48, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Mine has black behind the front bumper as well which is just visible above the bumper? I will take a photo for you.

Dave :) 

IMG_0745.thumb.JPG.bdb6313d0b73c8510206b89f1fde9220.JPGIMG_0746.thumb.JPG.941a17781eec07f0f0fd57034380c9f4.JPG

Sorry for the poor photos Fabian as awkward to show against the black bumper, I will take some more when I remove it soon ready for paint. The black disappears behind the bumper as well.

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

7 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Thought of new which is cheaper, but don't think the barrels are stainless steel so they will rot with time?

It's £130 for a as new stainless rebuild or about £85 for a new one. I found any new part is never as good and there seem to be fitting issues.

Having been here before with other classics, I think you're talking about decades. And as mentioned, regular fluid change should see the system work fine without corrosion.

I'm sure the parts are available new. I've sourced these parts for cars 15 + years older.

The problem is I believe there are new cylinders available but they are generic. My experience of the parts is they may cause problems. Exchange units have probably just had the bore honed, seals replaced or both, ow long a honed bore will last without corroding I'm not sure. I rebuilt my clutch slave and it rotted and leaked in about 6 months from being pristine. So I'm still thinking about the stainless option.

• Like 1

It's certainly an area to get right, as it's frustrating to fix when the car is working.

What did you do on the S1?

I'm concerned with the new front road springs, as I've heard they may need shortening.

The replacement 'B' pillar finishers may not have the correct curve and awkward to fit. As I've already found minor discrepancies with the rear light surrounds and the air dam.

SJ's plastics are certainly higher quality than the Lotus originals, but are an effort to fit.

• Like 1

The brake master is a Capri 2.8 and readily available, there is no need for exchange units. As is often the case it is possible to scour Ebay etc but then find that SJ sell the part for less. Also with SJ they are selling it specifically for this car so there is comeback if its wrong. Which is to be honest often the case as these cars are so different to each other even in the same model version.

My master cylinder bore was slightly pitted although it still worked. This is after 30 years of previous neglect where the fluid has not been changed. Replaced with a new one which will last until I am too old to be driving!

Its a whole different matter where the part is specific to the car such as the plastic pieces. These can be very tricky but brake parts are off the shelf items.

• Like 1

Mine didnt have the black above the bumper. There is a slight amount of darkness visible in this picture but it was just dirt buildup I think.

Actually I am not sure why this needs to be painted black as it cant be seen. Gap between the bumper and the rear spoiler section should be pretty much non existent.

DSCN8501.JPG

• Like 1

Well I suppose that little bit on the sides could benefit from being black.

DSCN3492.JPG

This press car picture does show the ridge on the rear section itself having a black line to match the waistline trim (I think!).

presscar.jpg

• Like 1

Just noticed the Bond car posted earlier is body colour there. Bloody hell these cars are all different to each other, it must have depended on who was on shift at the time they were painted!

Yes @Andyww these cars were handbuilt, and like you say, it'll depend largely who made them and what imperfections they found.

Guys I know who work in modern car plants have more stringent QA procedures, but you'd be amazed at what gets through and what remedial work is done.

Lotus will use whatever is available, even today.

You can only make a best guess when restoring these cars, unless they've been unrestored previously. I'm in a similar position with the black areas on an S1. Fortunately someone brought round their original example last week. The black areas were nothing like I'd seen. He's owned it since it was 7 months old.

I spent ages buying new parts that don't fit properly. You can get them to work, but overall Mostly its better to use the original parts if they can be restored. 

I have been looking at the Capri Master cylinders, they seem to be new and good value. The only problem I can see is buying one and finding out it's slightly different. I have spent a small fortune on useless parts! I now own a significant proportion of the worlds 20 hole split rims! ???????

I will get them all out today and take a picture, it's a money pit!

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.68a8bc16fa1da56cf4c6f82d7a92f5cb.JPG

I have more centres! Yes the motherload!! From VW owners to Esprit fanatics these are the most sought after wheels on the planet. I know having had to buy these????. May have been cheaper to open a factory and make some!

IMG_2316.thumb.JPG.06570c861a588136ab1e615eba3a9018.JPGThis lip is very special. It's the rocking horse shit correct lip for the five stud Compomotive. It is slightly narrower which compensates for the suspension difference, so the tyre will sit in the correct place fir the BBS suspension set up!

• Like 2

My five stud PCD is slightly larger than 5/120 and I only have three! Could be used with new hubs (about £700 + vat) or PCD adaptors.

You need to match the width to the tyre size. With the Goodyear tyres a bit of number crunching is required, they are fairly restrictive width wise. The Barrels can be bought in any size from Image at a fair price,all the ones above are original! So can the Lips but the profile is slightly different to the original, but I guess only a few of us spotters would ever know!

This is the nightmare or going Compomotive. My advice, buy a dry sump if you can or polish the BBS wheels. Engineering wise they are street ahead and no one will notice except me and a few others on here. Trouble is I have autistic tendencies when it comes to replicating Bond cars!

• Like 2

Going back to the black strip at the back of the car. I've just noticed that its in the parts list as a decal.

Item 17 section 12.05a

59622950135cf_espritdecals.png.62c581c7a1cdd88badc7540c518b6fcc.png

596229c3692f9_espritdecals-info.png.e7b33bb1b850b748cbe90cd64edfc9f1.png

:) 

• Like 2

It's getting there......

Just made a few brake lines. That flaring tool is perfect, so easy to use and factory perfect flares! Once you get this the other set will go in the bin(dumpster) for our American friends!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAR said:

Going back to the black strip at the back of the car. I've just noticed that its in the parts list as a decal.

Item 17 section 12.05a

59622950135cf_espritdecals.png.62c581c7a1cdd88badc7540c518b6fcc.png

596229c3692f9_espritdecals-info.png.e7b33bb1b850b748cbe90cd64edfc9f1.png

:) 

Could be - never really though about it, but I did wonder about the black line inside the door and whether it could be a decal but pretty convinced it isn't. Was going to peel back to check.......ok maybe not then!:lol:

Run out of memory, so can't post pictures! Is the Landrover 2 clutch slave the same? They are £10 new! How can these be £10 and the esprit £30?

15 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Run out of memory, so can't post pictures! Is the Landrover 2 clutch slave the same? They are £10 new! How can these be £10 and the esprit £30?

For the same reason eBay sellers of Lotus Esprit door handles and rear lights ask ridiculous money, whereas Fiat X1/9 and Morris Marina/Allegro/TR7 parts are a fraction.

You obviously don't work in marketing Fabian! ?

21 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

As far as I know there were 2 types used on the Esprit, the parts books list an 079 and 082 prefix part number and the Land Rover is only the same as one of these types.The pipe fitting is a different thread on the other.

• Like 1