Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Love it!!!! But you can't really be changing its colour can you!!?:blush: Ok maybe I should back off with the criticism......it's your topic and I'm sure the end result will be amazing and a perfect FYEO replica. I see its been off the road 3 years longer than mine and registered 3 months after mine. Could they be related?:thumbup:

Edited by stephenwhyte
  • Like 1

That is fantastic news Fabian, really pleased you managed to find one, and looks very tidy for a project from the pictures. ;) Copper is the way ahead and you can always just quote 007 to the purists if they say anything about the non standard paint, enough said.  :P 

• Like 2

A

Time to build another garage Fabian, you will have your own 'Q' branch when you get finished!

We all look forward to some great posts as progress develops transforming a good car into a show winner!

Nice one for finding such an original early car.

Dave ?

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Yep big garage problems. No where for this so cant start the full resto. Will get it running. The engine has been rebuilt already. So just the clutch and brakes and it should move! Gearbox has also been rebuilt! Got lucky!

Its totally original.image.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep a very early wet sump looking at the chassis number, are you planning a body off restoration or everything but? 

Someone did make some replica ski rack/ brackets I seem to remember seeing on the forum once?

Dave ?

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Have reciepts for all the parts but havnt run it yet. Apparently rebuilt by a 70 year old mechanic who restores historic race cars. Way past his retirement! Was apparently run a month ago. I havn't seen it run yet, as the battery is missing, but theres a lot of new parts. They needed it out of the garage because they were doing it at almost cost! Fingers crossed, apparently only needs clutch and brakes comissioning. The brakes are new as are the cables. The clutch cylinder is also new but the linkage is not connected as they lost the pin. Not counting any chickens, will rebuild it anyway so no worries! 

Complete original car Fabian,  well almost complete apart from the linkage retaining pin  :P  Nice looking car, Hopefully i do not think you will find any nasty suprizes.  Very good starting point for a project and should speed things up.  Can you not look at putting your S1 into storage for a while ?   Is the turbo going to be a body off restoration ?  If not you could always strip the outer body parts and get it to the painters as that would solve your storage problem for a while and regarding under carpet colour as its gettting resprayed in non original colour you would not have to worry about about all the nooks and crannies.  

Then after some time you get a nice new cooper turbo back and can fit the other bits at your leisure, keeps the restoration moving as you are not loosing any time waiting for space also.  Just my 2 pence :)

• Like 1

A

Thanks Dan. Wife won't tolerate another rebuild at the moment. So get it up and running and drive as is until I move house then strip it all to the chassis and rebuild as the bond car! 

Hadn't thought of storage. If I did it over the winter that would solve the problem.

Yep, exactly! 

My first numpty questions,

Do turbo Esprits only use metric bolts? Have to put the tailagate back on as a first job.

How do you get at the radiator bleed? Can you access it with the front spoiler on?

Fabian

Yes bolts are metric. Although I have come across a few odd ones here and there.

Radiator bleed is under the bonnet, near side under a black rubber grommet.  Headlamp motor adjuster knob sits on the edge.  grommet is about 100 mm in diameter.

Hope that helps

First day, replace the missing keys! Got them made online for £13.95. The ignition key fits the tailgate. The door keys are smaller same as the S1. The Key code can be recovered from Lotus Archives and ordered cheaply on line! The fuel caps are more tricky! But you can buy a kit for them, as always at a cost!

I am told they are simple and a key can be found at a locksmiths to open them.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the fuel caps Fabian,  both fuel caps on mine had different locks, I lost one key and have not been able to open the one for years, which is a pain in the backside when filling up as the fuel takes so long to level out between tanks.! Did not want to force it open as it could damage something and did not want to risk drilling the lock in case of a spark and given the location it could end in tears.! :ermm:

A

Hi Dan,

this is the key company I used.

https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/key-identification-help

Boring stuff but this might help someone. Theres two bits of info for the key. FT108 for example. The first two letters are the key shape and the number is the cutting pattern. On the lock you mostly can see 3 digits. You can find out the key shape from another owner or Lotus and the number on the front. If there's no number the other way is to try lots of old keys till you find one that works. If you send a photo of the lock a lot if the time the company will know the key shape. The doors on the Turbo are FT code, the tailgate and ignition BL. Then you just need just the three digit number off the lock and for 3.95 your getting a new key with the above company, or many others on the Internet. Maybe your key that wor,is has a code on it? What are the first two letters? Then just need the three digit number on the lock, if there is one?

• Like 1

Just had a look, no codes. So now need someone to tell me the first two letters to give the key shape for the fuel cap. Then will take the cap to the locksmith to try lots of keys. After contacting Lotus to see if they have the key code!

My problem is the opposite of yours Fabian, the cap is actually locked and on the car. :ermm: and the other petrol cap that i can open, that key does not work in the other locked petrol cap !  :(

A

Mmmmm might be stuck, but the correct key? Had a look at it I would drill the key barrel out! There's a replacement kit available for £20 with PMN. If you don't drill to far in shouldn't be a problem.