Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 87 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Hi.

Great information. Thank you.  I'm going for an open end at the lower racks (I call them cradles).  This will allow draining of snow and rain etc. AND if longer skis need to be fitted and/or skis have those additional shock-absorber thingies on them that prevent the clamp securing down properly, i've got the ability to move the ski along back and forth to find a secure fit.  

I think a metal bracket within the rack will work well.  It's all going to be offering up and 'seeing' what works best for you and your design.

exciting stuff...

so c'mon, what did you get in the gift shop?

It’s really nice to know exactly how the car was put together and what wheels and interior it had, especially after my internet research was exhausted.

Didn’t really get anything but it’s a fantastic car museum, there’s nothing like it  anywhere. There’s so much stuff such as the Jetstar from Goldfinger, Bonds watches, clothes, props micro jet x2. The list goes on and on. They even had Professor Fates car from the movie the great race and his Rocket inventions. David Hasselhoffs personal Knight Rider Kitt, which he aledgidly sold and is trying to buy back, bit old for it now I think!

OFF PIste!

I'm bored of wheels, skis yes! Not really appropriate for his site  unless you happen to be making the FYEO car. I was very lucky to have aquired two sets of the Tyrolia 380 bindings. After a lot if research I secured two pairs the trouble is one pair is red and not  dayglow orange. I have match the paint to respray, but then I had a problem as the decals had to be rubbed off. I've solved this now. I am making the exact decals buy photographing them and printing them on Vinyl decal paper that can be used on your laser printer!IMG_1227.thumb.PNG.ad771a1199ebfb6d2e75cf95dcebdc79.PNGIMG_1305.thumb.JPG.c9fef29a323665616d56fbe945d46a56.JPGthe lower binding is the Bond Colour! The upper one is being resprayed.

• Like 1

Burglar protected

IMG_3190.thumb.PNG.2ab1c7d74872d47f2e7b85c4ff78e0eb.PNG

I have a solution. Is anyone on here into photography? The way ahead I think  is to edit the photo above. Redraw the edges of the protected and remove and fill in the triangle with a dark red. I used to have software that can do this. You could then repost the photo after editing and we all could download it and print it directly to Vinyl decal paper for laser printing. Shouldn't take very long if you have the software and do it all the time? Thanks.

Used to use Photoshop many years ago. You could select a colour expand the pictures and paint over edges and background. There are apps that will do it but they aren't good enough. Some professional software is needed.

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Burglar protected

IMG_3190.thumb.PNG.2ab1c7d74872d47f2e7b85c4ff78e0eb.PNG

I have a solution. Is anyone on here into photography? The way ahead I think  is to edit the photo above. Redraw the edges of the protected and remove and fill in the triangle with a dark red. I used to have software that can do this. You could then repost the photo after editing and we all could download it and print it directly to Vinyl decal paper for laser printing. Shouldn't take very long if you have the software and do it all the time? Thanks.

This is why better photography was necessary. Framed well to include all that was required, and directly in front, not taken from an oblique angle. Ideally at 300dpi.

It can be done but parts of the image will need reconstructing once the original image is orientated an skewed. I just hope the photos aren't sub-200dpi, otherwise the original font will need to be found for accurate reproduction.

"We'll fix it in post" is the laughable phrase we use. We just love that phrase....l

I believe these stickers have been recreated by some Copper Fire ET owners already.

I could, very much so. However the quality of the source is in question. Remember what I said about "rubbish in equates rubbish out"? So depending upon the quality of the original photo you need to perhaps temper your expectations.

An Adobe PhotoShop (.psd) could be created.

Post the properties of the photo <right-click> the image in Windows, then <summary tab>, or look at use the <file Info> in OS X; Namely the length & breadth dimensions in pixels, as well as the dots per inch resolution/density (dpi).

The problem you may have are in defining the correct colour, and if insufficient resolution, the font used, which may need to be recreated (physically re-typed).

Also, did you measure at least one of the complete edges to provide a scale? As that cannot be accurately extrapolated from the photograph.

Edited by Fridge

I don't have the scale. Could be estimated. I think sharpening edges and background will make a pretty good sticker. I use a text  analyser to determine the type. It came up close but the e were differences so I think Photoshop of the original would be best. Should be possible to get a good enough result. The pictures were all on I pad. Could PM you the original if it's different to the one on here?

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

... otherwise the original font will need to be found for accurate reproduction.

Could the “Eurostile Bold Extended” font be close enough if you have to scratch build the decal?

Hi @Lotusfab I'll be back at my desk on Sunday and will save the image from here. However, I'm not sure what this forum platform does to uploaded images, if anything.

Personally you may be better off trying to track down the reproduction item I've seen elsewhere. They had the done the work right up to producing stickers I think.

If you want a first class item remade I'd suggest you get a graphics designer to recreate the design in Adobe Illustrator. They will be able to provide the correct shape without any jagged edges, and probably track down the font. As they are well versed in such things.

@jonroberts nice try, but to a graphics designer using a random Esprit font is like suggesting that shell bearings for a Ford Cortina could be OK for the Lotus 912 engine.

It all depends upon how far you want to take this I suppose.

Hi David,

if anyone can sort this it's you. I have total confidence it will be perfect!

A lot of people will be very grateful.

My Modelling foam hasn't arrived yet, so alas no startvof the racks. But I have a plan. Shouldn't be too difficult!

I did have a bit of practice moulding th S1 gear tunnel!

I can only admire your faith in my skills @Lotusfab, but my work is in film and video production, not graphic design. I employ folk with those skills if I need a first class job.

I'll take a look at the image over the weekend. You could post the original attributes by doing what I said above. That's the easy bit.

@Lotusfab I've asked one of the graphic designers I know if they could trace the lettering and produce a vector graphic which could be scaled accordingly without loss of resolution ie without "jaggies".

I can't tell from your photo if the triangle has a border within the edge. Or indeed it's original colour. The other post mentioned above has measurements of 50mm & 70mm. Not sure if this is accurate.

As I have said before, the more information available the less (re)work is necessary. If you want to go ahead then let me know, but if so please provide as much information now.

I'm not sure if the designer would like something for this skilled work. He once owned an Elise I believe, so you may be lucky.

On behalf of everyone thanks.Tracing it is a great idea, all the texts sampling apps shows it to be an inaccurate font.  I unfortunately remember 1981 and believe I have seen decals made of a similar material. It's dark red and translucent. I believe the wording has been painted on which is why it's not straight. That's another problem printing white on translucent paper, only a professional printer has the capability, I'm sure you know more about all of this than I do. I may have to go back to the museum so will measure it! In the mean time here are the best pics I have. I focused too much on the ski racks!

IMG_3233.thumb.PNG.8972498b8b723042c90db52059fdd77e.PNGIMG_3234.thumb.PNG.cd7e7af7d5bef799ef8675e9d7399d7d.PNG

No border.