Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear Merak breaking - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear Merak breaking

I see that Merak that Top Gear abused is finally going to the grave, wonder what happened to the other 2?

Click me and weep.

I suppose the only saving grace is they didn't pick an S1 or S2; probably becasue 10 grand would have bought a concours winner and blown the plot.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the TV people do to it?

took it from the used classic market and drove it to destruction around castle combe

for some pointless sketch that had the studio JC fans clapping like sea lions (again).

The car had all the needles pointing the wrong way, begging to be stopped and repaired,

but it obviously made better telly to keep on until it split it's guts out in spectacular style.

I'd laugh, but Esprits are cheaper and would make a far more obvious car to trash for the

sake of a laugh, i'm puzzled as to why he didn't TBH.

Can't remember the other two, might have been an espada or urraco, unsure. The guy is

such a nob. It's like beadles about, but with cars.

apparently in the new series, they are going to try and fire a 308 through a cannon onto

a pile of fridges in a 'how cool is an old ferrari' sketch. The plan is to show it in several

one minute clips while talking about something else, at the end of each clip the audience

will clap like robots and cheer when he finishes speaking, again.

genius.

The video was floating about on Youtube a bit back, but can't locate it now; type in "Top Gear Supercars" and you are buried by results.

Apparently parts of the car are already on some resto project in Australia, so there's little hope for it. :crybaby:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

one of my favourite 70s exotic - I'd have a Bora tho for the V8 soundtrack and the fact they are worth too much for JC to get his destructive mits on it..

I don't think it was an SS - only badged as such but a royal shame either way. Body will be reused no doubt as much of the car in parts.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

This was the "Can you buy an Italian Supercar for

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

IIRC The owner had had the engine rebuilt beforehand. I remember the program well, it started making rattly clanky sounds, but they just kept on driving it.

To be fair any owner kind of knows what's going to happen before they offer their car to TG, and I'd be very suprised if there wasn't some form of insurance in place to cover the owner for any damage.. In my opinion this isn't in the breakers yard just because TG had their hands on it.

I'm sure someone on here has had their Esprit used for TV, perhaps they could comment on what (if any!) insurances are in place to cover damage.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

JC has no respect for classic cars. The Bora / Merak was one of the best supercars of the 70's. And it was designed by the greatest car Designer in the world, Peter Stev. e . . . . sorry Giugiaro. It was also one of my favourite cars (and fav Top Trump cards) when I was a kid.

Very sad to see it being broken :P . Can someone here who's rich, buy it and restore it please?

Couldn't someone put Duratec engine in it? No more sacrilegious as fitting one to an Esprit.

OT - I disagree.. alfa v6 would be far more fitting.. if it was a De Tomaso then fine - any Ford or Chevy sbc goes but Masers should run either a) Maser engine, B) Citroen V6 so anything up to and including a CXT turbo or c) an Italian V6. What you can do however is try and source a Bora V8 and running gear as the chassis is principally the same - the differences in the rear buttress design and ally roof is largely cosmetic. Jst need to swap out a bit more Citroen for Maser bits n bobs.. I'm sure there wil be some tatty Boras with worm-ridden shells.. on the surface that one looked ok. So to a Bora owner this could have value or indeed a Merak owner.

I love all the 70s Maser designs. :P

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

There isn't enough room for the V8 in the Merak. The Merak's firewall is pushed back a little farther than the Bora's, and the Merak has two tiny back "seats" that really function best as grocery bag platforms.

The smartest and probably best thing to do on the "cheap" is to find an engine from a Citroen SM and swap it in, as it is the same engine only making less power.

That is a crying shame, to break a handbuilt classic Maserati, even if some parts are missing. The thing looks worth saving to me. Over here in the States, a few Meraks that were less complete and in need of much more restoration sold for well under $10,000 USD -- people are good enough to want to save them.

That car is definitely not an SS, as it has the accumulators, and the SS did not debut until circa 1979 (ad says this car is from 1976). For what it's worth, in mid-late 1975 they did start putting the more powerful engine in some cars -- I don't know whether this was for all markets, or just US, or just Europe.

One last observation -- the front right corner doesn't look right to me -- I think it may have been damaged and repaired, although I could be wrong. The swages for the waistline don't look crisp enough. Actually, the entire right side looks a little wavy to me. Even if so, car should still be saved.

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

hey Tony - what's a firewall between friends..lol

lol

bulkhead

:P :laughing:

Is "firewall" only used in the States? Definition: the portion of the car that separates the engine and passenger compartments. Properly used when speaking about front-engine cars; but when carelessly used talking about a mid-engine car, people get the idea.

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Mat, They bought the cars.

Guys it was a ringer to start with. Firstly the guy sold it to Clarkson as an SS when all he'd done is put a badge on it. Secondly he'd "Apparantly" spent

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Is "firewall" only used in the States? Definition: the portion of the car that separates the engine and passenger compartments. Properly used when speaking about front-engine cars; but when carelessly used talking about a mid-engine car, people get the idea.

front engined, rear engined, mid enigned - same difference - if it stops fire in the engine getting to the pax compartment. What distinction do you see.? :P

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

front engined, rear engined, mid enigned - same difference - if it stops fire in the engine getting to the pax compartment. What distinction do you see.? :thumbup:

Being made of wood and therefore burning, rather than containing a fire? :spam: (Esprit) ha ha okay bad joke

Seriously, is "firewall" in this sense just something people say in the States? :whistle:

To legitimately answer "what distinction", it is because too many people (who have never seen a mid-engine car) don't understand what "firewall" means, and get confused - they think 'wall at front of pass. compartment', rather than 'wall between engine and pass. compartment'. Rather than explaining to every muscle car and Nissan owner out there, we just say 'bulkhead', which they don't understand either, but at least they don't look to the front. :ermm:

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Glad to see I'm not the only hater of that pointless programme - the original TG was a motoring show, the shite they put out these days is merely an excuse for more car destruction and so-called 'excitement' - I'd rather watch paint dry. Pathetic.

Forum: n. fo

Got to disagree. I think TopGear is probably one of the best shows on TV in the UK at the current time, it is entertaining, has high production values, the camera work is excellent and where else could you see a reliant robin shot into space (well almost).

Whether you like Cklarkson or not, he is one of the most infuential motoring journos in the country and his work can make or break a car.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Being made of wood and therefore burning, rather than containing a fire? :spam: (Esprit) ha ha okay bad joke Seriously, is "firewall" in this sense just something people say in the States? :whistle: To legitimately answer "what distinction", it is because too many people (who have never seen a mid-engine car) don't understand what "firewall" means, and get confused - they think 'wall at front of pass. compartment', rather than 'wall between engine and pass. compartment'. Rather than explaining to every muscle car and Nissan owner out there, we just say 'bulkhead', which they don't understand either, but at least they don't look to the front. :ermm:

:thumbup: strictly speaking to race regulations a firewall doesn't neccessarily have to be alloy - it still creates a block to the movement of oxygen between engine and pax compartment and thus hinders the movement of fire. Firewall is a racing term - how it's then abused by the laymen I have no idea.. but I get what you're saying about bulkhead..

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Whether you like Cklarkson or not, he is one of the most infuential motoring journos in the country and his work can make or break a car.

Sadly, this is probably true :thumbup:

Edited by Mad Zero

• Gold FFM
Got to disagree. I think TopGear is probably one of the best shows on TV in the UK at the current time, it is entertaining, has high production values, the camera work is excellent and where else could you see a reliant robin shot into space (well almost).

Took the words right out of my mouth Howard. All of above - spot on.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Well I hate seeing cars being ruined, same goes for films too - if there's a chase scene where a couple of cars get wrecked it hurts me to watch it!

...strange when I think about it because in reality, even if the cars miss all the obsticles and come out intact they're most likely completely knackered mechanically anyway! I must be getting old and wussy eh!

• Gold FFM
Well I hate seeing cars being ruined, same goes for films too - if there's a chase scene where a couple of cars get wrecked it hurts me to watch it!

...strange when I think about it because in reality, even if the cars miss all the obsticles and come out intact they're most likely completely knackered mechanically anyway! I must be getting old and wussy eh!

Sorry Buzz, also agree with what you have said re wrecking old beautys.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!