Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 64 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Garage project escalated a bit...  plasterboarded the ceiling, made a stud wall, added insulation, added a load of lights. Still a long way to go, but it’s starting to come together now!

ED029F74-5E27-4714-893C-2A9404AC422A.jpeg

You can't have enough lights and power points in a garage... 👍👍👍👍

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

I've got this Caterham 620S for a week, I've always said that my Lotus will be a keeper forever, but this Caterham is just so much fun that it's giving me silly thoughts about selling the Exige to fund a Caterham!

Also, garage is nearly finished, just the floor and skirting board to do now.

GFW_2803web.jpg

Sell it! So you can save it from the colour of your bike if you ever go that way again... 😜

• Haha 2

Looks like we are running neck and neck with our garage refurbs.

20210228_153144.thumb.jpg.996e761da23cc4ce0162816f8587cb3e.jpg

What type of flooring are you going with.

This is my choice. Mates rates with a chap who lives a few doors up from me.

20210205_142027.thumb.jpg.b34a6be84f71fc47e24d538e211d24b4.jpg

• Like 1

@Peapod - looks like you still have to do the walls ;)

Be careful with those floor tiles, some can trap water which causes issues. I got advised by quite a few people to avoid them.  I'll be doing another layer of screed, then an epoxy paint. I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but it's fairly cheap and I can do it myself. One day I'll maybe do proper tiles, but for now this will do.

I use PVC interlocking tiles on my garage floor and after 2 years no issues yet. The rubber version of the tiles are not ideal as they can "smell" and can be lethal when wet as very slippery. Rubber also reacts/degrades over time just like your hoses etc.

The PVC is inert and does not really react with anything, so seems ideal. No problems yet and a lot warmer/more comfy in the garage during winter. They do however "move" - i.e they expand/shrink depending on whether warm or cold - so do bare that in mind when laying them. Over several meters the movement is an inch max.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

24 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

What overhead lighting are you using? Both look similar and appear to give a good light - would you recommend them?

Thanks

Mine are just cheap 600x600 LED panels from ebay but pleased with them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-PANEL-LIGHT-600X600MM-48W-LED-PANEL-LIGHT-6500K-4800-LUMENS-/362916284339?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

7 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I use PVC interlocking tiles on my garage floor and after 2 years no issues yet. The rubber version of the tiles are not ideal as they can "smell" and can be lethal when wet as very slippery. Rubber also reacts/degrades over time just like your hoses etc.

The PVC is inert and does not really react with anything, so seems ideal. No problems yet and a lot warmer/more comfy in the garage during winter. They do however "move" - i.e they expand/shrink depending on whether warm or cold - so do bare that in mind when laying them. Over several meters the movement is an inch max.

Which brand are you using Andy?

17 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

@Peapod - looks like you still have to do the walls ;)

Be careful with those floor tiles, some can trap water which causes issues. I got advised by quite a few people to avoid them.  I'll be doing another layer of screed, then an epoxy paint. I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but it's fairly cheap and I can do it myself. One day I'll maybe do proper tiles, but for now this will do.

Have a look at Pastorelli porcelain floor tiles, supplier to McLaren Production Centre. I can't imagine anything better.

https://www.ceramica.info/en/progetto-galleria/back-to-the-future-2/

10 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Which brand are you using Andy?

I bought a "job lot" from Big Dug online, including the yellow "ramps". Easy to cut around the door frames etc with a jig saw and once laid you just need to sweep them/mop them to keep them clean (being black they do show up the dirt).

Best thing I bought though was the garage door seal as it really does help to stop the dust/rain driving in under the garage door. Super easy to install. Managed to get mine with a red stripe to match the car lol.

https://www.garagedoorseals.co.uk/p-garage_door_threshold_seal_-_15mm_black-yellow_hi_vis_rubber_seal.htm

Just on the comments re the trapping of water under the tiles. Remember, concrete is porous, so unless you have sealed the top of the concrete any water underneath the PVC tiles will be absorbed through the concrete base.  The water table level will determine how quickly this happens and that obviously moves up or down depending on how saturated the ground is through rain/drought. However, if you have sealed the top of the concrete then yes, water may collect and pool as it has nowhere to go. So my recommendation would be to not use PVC tiles on top of a sealed cement floor.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

When I visited MTC, I was told that when Ron saw the production hall floor he wasn't impressed that there was a half tile at the end so ordered the whole lot ripped up and replaced with tiles which fit exactly. Dread to think how much that cost but he was a bit of a perfectionist! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

1 minute ago, Bibs said:

When I visited MTC, I was told that when Ron saw the production hall floor he wasn't impressed that there was a half tile at the end so ordered the whole lot ripped up and replaced with tiles which fit exactly. Dread to think how much that cost but he was a bit of a perfectionist! 

Lol. Would have been cheaper to move the wall maybe?  

The small print.

41 minutes ago, Bibs said:

I don't know about the MTC, but with the MPC Ron apparently worked out the exact size the internals of the building needed to be to avoid cutting any tiles, and then instructed Norman Foster exactly what size to build it.

2 hours ago, suffolk009 said:

I don't know about the MTC, but with the MPC Ron apparently worked out the exact size the internals of the building needed to be to avoid cutting any tiles, and then instructed Norman Foster exactly what size to build it.

Damn. I just got this email from Pastorelli. I guess I'm going to have to completely rethink my upcoming garage build:

profile_mask2.png

Cristiano Vaccari <cristiano.vaccari@pastorellitiles.com>

10:02 (2 hours ago)

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your interest, unfortunately the tile designed for MClaren has been discontinued years ago and we have no more stock available.

Please let me know should you need any further information,

Thank you and best regards.

• 2 weeks later...