Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 43 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Exige Sport 380

TLF News

@JohnnySC The first and most obvious effect would be the immediate loss of warranty!

Komotec allow their cars to rev to that using the same 1320cc supercharger, seemingly without catastrophic results so perhaps it's Lotus being a bit conservative? Perhaps Komotec don't care that you might need a new gearbox and supercharger at some point? You paid them to make it faster, not last longer.

If it was mine I'd be tempted for a remap to 7000rpm, I'd compromise on the last 200rpm.

10 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Lotus' fear is that with the higher power output, you would significantly reduce the longevity of the engine and gearbox. 

I have seen this mentioned on here before, but have Lotus actually said this? I don't dispute it, it seems reasonable that torque is limited for the gearbox, but did not know they use the word significantly and talk of engine longevity as well as gearbox.

5 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

but have Lotus actually said this

When I asked, that's what I was told. Remember they have to offer a warranty. I'll admit, I didn't ask someone in the powertrain dept but I did ask a knowledgeable source who knows what they're talking about and did double check with a colleague.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

You'd think the engine itself should be fine if it's allowed to run to 410bhp and 7000rpm without any other changes. There are stories of a lot more than 410bhp from the standard block too.

I still favour Stu's theory that the supercharger is spinning faster than before due to the smaller pulley (higher gearing), therefore spinning faster at 6800rpm than the 350 cars were spinning at 7200rpm. Revving a 380 to 7200rpm will be really pushing the supercharger but again not something that seems to concern Komotec.

Sorry, no idea who this tuner is Trevor, but everyone's being careful not to mention names so you might not get a clear answer.

Ok thanks Jonny, just thought if the tuner had been on the net and stated certain things then there wouldn't be an issue.

I would like to think the faster spinning S/C is the isuue whivh does draw the opinion that the 1900cc unit might be a good call.if I had the funds I'd be looking at importing an Evora GTS back and straight to Hofmanns for that.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

8 minutes ago, JohnnySC said:

Thanks, yep then you'd have an Exige 400 without charge cooler; do you think that's the plan for the next step ?

I see what you're getting at, you think it might be sandbagging for a '400' next year which lo and behold revs to 7,000. Who knows? But I doubt it if they are having trouble with inlet temps at 380bhp and 6800rpm (unconfirmed!).

@Trevsked 

This link has been posted before, but here it is again. On the second page, half way down look for "in Europe"...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=15&t=1665749&i=20

you can draw your own conclusions as to who the tuner is. As for the arguement is it true or not, I do not know. But then why state something that isn't?

thanks

Mark

It would be completely nuts if the quest to get more power (thus speed) and noise (thus occasion) has resulted in a car with less power (ie 40 bhp down).

I am going off whats written in that thread linked to above. 

5 hours ago, Bibs said:

When I asked, that's what I was told. Remember they have to offer a warranty. I'll admit, I didn't ask someone in the powertrain dept but I did ask a knowledgeable source who knows what they're talking about and did double check with a colleague.

Yes with 3 yrs and 100'000 kms warranty you've got to be cautious.... but for people who track their cars quite extensivelyyou might want to take your chances and / or have motorsport clutches/fly wheels, whatever stronger parts etc. fitted in to minimise the risk ???? Wouldn't that be an option ??? But to me that doesn't solve the heat soak problem yet... I've read every single post now and it appears to me that it is the one and only major issue which should be addressed in the first place before getting to the others..... I'm sure with that fixed all the Exiges will be much faster overall in all tests .....???But  It's probably not now on the top list of priorities if a complete new platform is under development for the future, which will most probably fix that for good.... .... that I can understand.....It would be pointless just to try fixing up that without coming up with something quite new and definitely better overall.... so they'll still use the old platform until they run out of creative ideas on how to improve it without changing the whole architecture.....

Edited by Swiss360Cup

On 15.5.2017 at 16:14, Swiss360Cup said:

The story would be put to a rest definitely when Lotus brings the S, Cup, 350, 360 Cup, 380 and 380 Cup to the Ring or whatever / wherever track in the UK,  for juste ONE day and do a big comparison test... like the ones motorsport magazines do.

thumb UP!

for our friends on the island

... take Anglesey Circuit...

should be easy for Lotus to show up there, like e.g. McLaren has done with the P1 and 675, 

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/16996/evo-leaderboard-lap-times-the-worlds-fastest-cars-tested-on-track

Easy when you have backers from the Middle East pouring money into your car company. Not so easy when you have a Luxembourgian penny pincher reporting to phorensic accountants in Malaysia. I was told that the Nurburgring charge something like £100,000 for use of the Nordschleife on industry days. Again peanuts for the big players. Not an option for Lotus at the present time. When they have their own first rate test track, this is an indulgence they can't afford at the moment. Cheating with laptimes is legendary. I have it on very good authority that Nissan don't cheat any more (I met the engineer who preps all the press cars). But to do 7.08 seconds you need to buy a Nismo GTR (£150k) and then add the full N-Attack pack (another £100k or so for no more bhp). So at least Nissan will sell you a car that is capable of it. At the time of writing only 3 cars outside Japan have gone for this, to my knowledge. You can imagine what Litchfield and the rest will give you for £50k. But it gives you some idea of the level and cost of modifications the manufacturers are prepared to go for a good laptime. Nissan have been driving Porsche mad for years, now that seems to be Lamborghini's job. I believe Porsche has had a change of policy in recent years towards laptimes. The new GT3 going finding 40 seconds around the NS looks a lot like 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' to me..... Evo leaderboard is another contender for 'best work of fiction'! I race on Kumhos in the Mag 7s series so I know where that BAC Mono's laptime came from. That particular compound is only good for one or two flying laps - at a push!

Quick question on the 380, there was mention in the original review on here of a larger fuel tank. Is this the case as I can't find reference to it having one anywhere else?

Well, it's in the press release...

http://www.lotuscars.com/news/engineering/lotus-exige-sport-380-supercar-killer

... but spec can change over time, so I'd caution anyone ordering to check things like that and provide "guidance" to Lotus via the dealer ;)

Don't know how I missed that, thanks! 20% extra, not too bad, few extra laps :)

• Like 1