Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 31 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ooft! White decals - never seen that combo before!😳 I’ll say it again - love period Turbo pics😎

When are we going to see @Bob Smith ‘s Turbo? - I’m desperate to see some pics!

• Like 2

On 04/10/2020 at 11:42, stephenwhyte said:

Brilliant pictures - there’s something truly magic about seeing period photos of these cars👏👏😎

For some reason I want to say the Compomotives look good with Gold decals but not so much with Black. Can’t tell you how glad I am about that.....😅 But even better with gold centres like pic below

Body coloured louvres are just plain wrong!

Fantastic car😎 

485417A5-AB12-42F2-BF0F-DC8C8A01034A.jpeg

and this also is #952 then (the car in the ad.)? or not?

10 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

That’s a nice combo Lex, where did that photo turn up?

Dave :) 

It was from a link submitted by a "BRUNO"?

Either on this thread or the Esprit pictures thread a few years ago.

Lots of period pictures of the Essex development cars too.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 00:23, Lex Templar said:

@stephenwhyte @Tocus I'm hoping to hear back from the owner of the car.

I guess it is possible that the wheel centre colour was changed, it would then be identical to the car in the famous photo.

Unless it was a pre-production car but no records really of a red one...

IMG_1427.JPG

then this also must be 952..

and lotus needed also a new ad. to sell the "normal" Esprit Turbo, so i think they used this one, because its a early one,

@Bazza 907 @Veilside I was hoping you could help here. Can you tell me if your chassis is silver (galvanised) or painted black. Steve at SJ is sure that my December 1980 built 10953 should be “no colour” (silver) but this image has thrown me. 
none of the 1980 non-Essex cars have been restored (8 of them and mine is the only one in the UK of the few that exist still) so no-one would know for sure. But I’m convinced all the 1980 dry sump Essex and non-Essex cars would have the same colour chassis. 

Cheers,

Lex

4B428DD4-6618-4AF6-9CF1-9DF6DD1BF212.jpeg

I've started digging into the photos now, I've just made a start on photos of the Domestic RHD non-Essex cars that Lotus counts in its production figures..

This does not include any of the non-production cars at this stage.

Interesting to see the first 7 non-Essex cars for the UK market on one page

10954 was identical to 10953 and was the last of ONLY eight 1980 Dry Sump Turbos - sadly no photos or known whereabouts since the early 1980s.

These were all built alongside the Essex cars and all were produced with all Essex features, wheels an RM-610 roof stereo.

More to come.

Interestingly, my car is the only one still in the UK.

Cheers,

Lex

Domestic Dry Sumps.pdf

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

@Bazza 907 @Veilside I was hoping you could help here. Can you tell me if your chassis is silver (galvanised) or painted black. Steve at SJ is sure that my December 1980 built 10953 should be “no colour” (silver) but this image has thrown me. 
none of the 1980 non-Essex cars have been restored (8 of them and mine is the only one in the UK of the few that exist still) so no-one would know for sure. But I’m convinced all the 1980 dry sump Essex and non-Essex cars would have the same colour chassis. 

Cheers,

Lex

4B428DD4-6618-4AF6-9CF1-9DF6DD1BF212.jpeg

004 is black but galvanised under the black finish I'll dig some photo's out. I had the chassis powder-coated when it was undergoing restoration.  

Hi Lex, Have you see these photo's of Essex LHD Chassis 10301 can't remember if I've already posted these before.

I must have some info on this somewhere, from what I remember it had been left dumped on the roadside for years could have been in Saudi or the UAE ? 

Extract copied from Dry Sump register -10301 1980 Exp LHD Essex Exp Prod 1 000 Essex Blue Essex Blue Red Compomotive Y LHD Essex 001. Saudi Arabia (No Essex ID No.) Apparently requested not to have decals and customer was Prince Turki of Saudi Arabia according to Brian, but is considered a Essex.

Steve T

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 4.jpg

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 1.jpg

Chassis LHD 10301 Essex Spec Photo 2.jpg

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 3.jpg

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Veilside said:

Hi Lex, Have you see these photo's of Essex LHD Chassis 10301 can't remember if I've already posted these before.

I must have some info on this somewhere, from what I remember it had been left dumped on the roadside for years could have been in Saudi or the UAE ? 

Extract copied from Dry Sump register -10301 1980 Exp LHD Essex Exp Prod 1 000 Essex Blue Essex Blue Red Compomotive Y LHD Essex 001. Saudi Arabia (No Essex ID No.) Apparently requested not to have decals and customer was Prince Turki of Saudi Arabia according to Brian, but is considered a Essex.

Steve T

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 4.jpg

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 1.jpg

Chassis LHD 10301 Essex Spec Photo 2.jpg

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 3.jpg

Chassis 10301 LHD Essex Spec Photo 5.jpg

Not sure how this is considered an Essex when it doesn't have red interior or exterior "Essex" decal pack.

Hi Lex

I've just had a crawl under the Essex and it looks to me as if it's galvanised silver with a thin layer of black paint over the top. Some of the black paint has come away is a small number of places leaving the silver showing through underneath. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bazza 907 said:

Hi Lex

I've just had a crawl under the Essex and it looks to me as if it's galvanised silver with a thin layer of black paint over the top. Some of the black paint has come away is a small number of places leaving the silver showing through underneath. 

15 minutes ago, v8vantage said:

Not sure how this is considered an Essex when it doesn't have red interior or exterior "Essex" decal pack.

Interior wise I'm not sure either I agree it should be red ??? probably it's been in the sun to much and faded !!!  it was specified no Essex stripes when ordered.

• Like 1

i had a chat with Lex yesterday, and thats why i thought the cars are build with a black chassis (and underneath ofcourse galvanised silver) but out of the factory they look black,

my car (951) is not been restored, and still has a black chassis, thats why i thought every early chassis must be black deliverd, (later ones without paint on the chassis just normal galvanised silver)

so its true that the early cars had a black paint job above the galvanised silver chassis, great find!

These are great pictures of 10301. I wonder if it's still there... sad to see really, it really still could be restored. Maybe it will turn up one day again

Thanks for the info on the black painted chassis too, I have asked Steve at SJ to investigate as I want it to be right.

@Bazza 907thanks for checking underneath yours..

Below is #10938 from the facebook group already on the register. Right to left converted domestic car conversion in Norway.

Owned by @PER 

Still has its Compomotive wheels too.

121580537_3454954481240720_1241218621726616611_n.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Gents,

Wonder whether a list of engine numbers has been compiled. I'm presently mucking about with belt train layouts with an engine salvaged from a dry sump car found at the breakers', the serial number for which I made note of but have since lost track of.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 09/01/2017 at 04:43, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Thanks Graham, I may add this to the Register as have loads of photos to check against now.

Speaking of which anyone recognise these;

IMG_2738.JPGIMG_2742.JPGIMG_2744.JPGIMG_2745.JPGIMG_2746.JPGIMG_2750.JPGIMG_2752.JPGIMG_2759.JPGVery Mr Bond...

Dave :) 

Dave the top one must be 10952 with the red louvres and now LHD.. good going back through old posts where we now have some more info.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2017 at 15:01, v8vantage said:

Another dry sump in the USA.

"I just acquired my Lotus. It hasn't run in 4 years but was running 
fine prior to sitting. I realize I need to go through everything and 
replace a lot of stuff as I go. I thought I'd start at the front and 
go through the brakes, suspension,fans,lights,etc. and then do the 
same to the rear. For economic reasons I thought I'd do the fuel 
system and drive train last.It's # 54 of the turbos(SCC082910AHD10954) I would appreciate any suggestions.

PS Not sure if it's an Essex, has everything except Essex decals- 
looks identical to cover car on Osprey's Lotus Esprit book.

Hi Roo I just found this post from 2017. 

This is the car I’ve been searching for, the 3/3 FYEO white/brown cars for 1980 and the sister car to mine 0953. 
0928 white heat was the first and was destroyed in ‘85. Would you be able to get me in touch? I’d love to see some photos and see what state it‘s in. 

I can probabably let him know how important the car is! Amazing it’s ended up in USA.

cheers

Lex