Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2017 Monthly Meets - UK - East Anglia - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2017 Monthly Meets

JayEmm

• Gold FFM

So now the newly christened TLF East Anglia chapter is here, where do people want to have monthly meets? Would you like to carry on meeting at The Bird, or would you like to alternate locations, which the Essex/Cambs/Herts group often do - usually with a lot of success in summer

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

there is a good regular meet going at The Bird in Hand, Church Rd, Norwich NR16 1BH organised by Buddsy

I used to go to this one....good beer and food.......

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

You are all welcome to come down to Hertfordshire this Sunday morning :gathering:

why don't we see what the consensus is with changing venue monthly as a group. Or we could say same place every month to meet but then in the summer months , bi monthly, we still meet at the bird in hand but take a cruise to another pub with some good roads ? 

• Like 1

I think if the same venue is to be used then it needs to middleish of the area or I fear it would not be supported from those far away.  Saying that the area is huge so I would suspect support from more than 35 miles may be very limited.  People getting home from work, getting the cars out, driving to the venue, getting home, putting the car away etc is a long evening.  Not sure of the solution.

What about make a base which may be Newmarket ish but then try and have a meeting in the different counties to try and attract everyone at some point.

Stuarts idea of some runs bi monthly is also a great idea.

I think a can of worms to be honest  but whatever is decided it will never satisfy everyone.

Previous post is load of crap then!!.  Sorry Im so dim.

What about somewhere to meet in the Diss/Scole area which is right on the border.  Good access from N,S,E,W with main roads and not a million miles for anyone.  If this could be agreed and we got regulars from both counties then a run, trips to another pub could be arranged which in the summer would be great.

• Like 1

The Oaksmere ?

Loads of parking, nice setting, decent beer and food ... and I used to play rugby with the proprietor :thumbup:

Keep off the straight and narrow

Where is the Oaksmere. If Norfolk and Suffolk have merged then maybe the Norfolk group could me once a month to drive to a Suffolk venue and vice Versa. Would be good to drive the car we love

All sounds good but someone has to make a decision.  Not sure who this would be.

Buddsy being a moderator?  

That might be a great idea in some ways but could very easily be mistaken as an attempt to take over. And to be clear, you don't mean that EALG are a problem, I think you mean that the problem is that there's already a very well attended local meet which reduces interest in another, the one that is run by/organised by EALG

Do you mean the EALC?     http://www.eastanglialotusclub.org/    

I began going to the TLF Norfolk meeting after I finished with the EALC. Not prepared to put in public why. I have since met at least 5 more that left for the same reasons.  Nothing to do with my reason for leaving but generally attendance to the meeting nights and events was terrible if you consider the amount of people in the club.  Same story as many clubs of any type I think.  You always get the core few plus 1 or 2 others each time.  I was guilty of non attendance sometimes but did go when I could.  Not sure of current set up there now though.  They meet at The Tivetshall Ram 2nd Monday of each month.

I think that as they are an organised club with membership, incorporating TLF would be nigh on impossible based on my experience.  Maybe we could ask Owen to bring the subject up at their meeting.  Maybe someone could offer a workable solution for all.

Owen.........?

Buddsy I don't mind getting a bit more envolved. Still struggling for time a bit at the moment but give it a month and would happily put some effort into people meeting up. If it doesn't work out then at least we tried. There has been about three people pop up on TfL from Norfolk in last month . Can we track people down on members map ? 

3 hours ago, Buddsy said:

@andydclements Yes there seems to be a good bunch of people already meeting.

@PhilW I dont know what they are like other than Owen & Chip. The club seems a bit anal. As in asked me to bring my car to an event then have to pay £20.00 to join the club. The chaps I met seem perfectly pleasant. They do seem to have people to ogasnise stuff. 

Im not really in charge of the meetings. I just post up when the meeting are on. Happy for others to take a more active roll or change things.

buddsy

Hi Scott, when did you get asked to pay £20? Hope it wasn't at Yarmouth last year, as you were invited and didn't need to pay any money.

I've read the comments regarding the EALC, but being on the groups committee, I'm afraid to say that I don't see it working at the moment as it like banging your head against a brick wall. Myself and a few others welcome other clubs to mix with the EALC, but a few are reluctant to mix who are on the committee, old school you see and takes time getting people to adapt to new ways.

As a local club we do try and organise a lot of events throughout the year, good events as well. This year the club is doing official events and quite a few unofficial events, these are mostly of interest to members and someone is perhaps going so making it known if others wish to attend from the club, or non members. Helmingham Hall last year was one I sorted, great day, had around seven cars displaying and is always a good event if you like cars. Yarmouth I mostly sorted last year and some of you did attend, which was much appreciated as again this was a good event. This is happening again this year so the call will be going out to non club members to attend. Phil I expect to see skis this year!

As for the EALC monthly meeting, I personally hardly attend throughout the year, the club bbq, Christmas and maybe a good speaker then I'll attend, but just meeting, then I don't normally show. The meetings never get a massive turn out.

It's like Club Lotus meetings, which at the moment are very poor. That meets every month at Bird in Hand on the second Thursday of the month. Most meetings consist of myself, my wife Tracy and Paul and Karen who most know with the silver Elise. A new couple have started coming called Paul and Brenda, he has a mk1 Eclat. this meeting is more a evening meal as Lotus does get mentioned, but not a great deal, also I'm not even in Club Lotus, which as a club is pretty poor considering we are in Lotus country.

Do the playground still meet at BIH?

I can mention it to the EALC committee regarding the comments, as said I and others do want change and more working with others, whether that's individuals or groups. I think as long as you don't mind signing the indemnity form when attending othe EALC events, then I personally don't see it as a problem.

I agree with what Phil said, it is usually a core amount who do attend most events, which I can never understand when a club that has 100 members, it's always the same faces unless food is involved, then all these people show up who you have never seen!

Why dont we take the lead and rise above the nonsense. Stop the Mondays and join Owen and friends on the 2nd Thursday at TBIH.  Seems mad there are 2 groups going to the same pub. Owen is not a member of Club Lotus so I dont see that any of us need to be.  Its just a group of people meeting once a month with a similar interest.

Any takers?

What works for us HEClers is communication, flexibility, commitment, witty banter, friendship, love of all things Lotus and of course food.

Work out which bits you are missing or need to improve and you've cracked it.

Dave.

I have to say I haven't been out in my car much lately, not even once a week to work like I used to. I'm back in that sell, don't sell quandary, I think since getting made redundant in late 2015 my minds been on other topics, mostly trying to find the right job to settle in, so enthusiasm to do other stuff when I get home is low. I've used my car a few times, but it's mostly just sat under the temporary gazebo cover. I've lost my Esprit mojo, also it's my tenth year ownership soon, just wondering if it's time for a change.

The more talking about it you do the less likely anything will happen,the more questions you ask the more answers you will get. Someone needs to be more positive.don`t ask,DO

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong