Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
E is for Evora! - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

E is for Evora!

m6rk

I was asked to start a thread on my evora (re)build(fix)

So the story goes like this..

Once upon a time there was a man(child) who wanted an exige.. many years of saving got him an exige which he loves. However he then got greedy and wanted an evora too.. However this manchild couldn't afford an evora so what was he to do? Thats right buy a damaged one and fix it :)

Came across this on ebay, got very excited and phoned a friend.. next day trundled up to see it and took someone that knows lotusses well to come with me. Looked horrible, but had taken the hit quite high up so the subframe looked fairly intact, even the exhaust was good... only problem was it wouldn't start.. the breaker / dealer didn't 'do' lotuses so I took a major punt and a deal was struck. nervous was one word!! wtf had I done???

1.jpeg

2.jpg

Code reader showed all 6 coils had failed.. checked fuse in the rear access panel, replaced the fuse and it fired up!!!

was showing a code for cam position sensor b and coil short.. turned out the reason the fuse had gone was that the clam had crushed the cam sensor plug and one of the coils.. they needed to be repaired, still waiting for the plug for the cam sensor but fixed the coil

17.jpg

18.jpg

Airbox was cracked so sourced a new airbox but was still idling like crap.. turned out the intake brake servo takeoff stub has been snapped, so sleeved it with some copper tube and epoxied it back into place!

15.jpg

16.jpg

Next job was clam off to see what the damage was. Took about 3 hours of faffing, but it came off in one piece.. kinda...

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

As you can see it's all straight!! woo.. just the middle section that'll need a pull where it took the impact.. but no need to remove / replace the subframe!

So I managed to get all the parts needed to fix :)

11.jpg

12.jpg

So currently car is at the metal unbenders getting the subframe straightened out ready for the clam to be test fitted and it whisked away for paint...  this could be the quickest project on record... 

Going to do a few things whilst the car is away being painted.. 

- I scoffed at heated seats until I got them in the gf's cooper s.. now I NEED them.. so going to try a retrofit as heated seats were never offered on a 2010 model i think.. 

- Forged wheels. Love them and I got offered a set at a good price so manmaths = them going on the car

- stereo. The alpine unit is rubbish and also the muppets at the scrapyard tried to remove it with a crowbar and cut all the wires to it.. so the dash will need to come out and a newer unit go in. oh and a dash repair / new dash panel /facepalm

7.JPG

- Exhaust - faaaar too quiet, so 3rd cat is being ditched and nice 2bular system fitted 

-

there is probably stuff i've forgotten but this should bring everyone up to speed so far! any tips / advice / part offers welcome ;-)

Edited by m6rk
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

Looks a steal...... I did look at it on eBay and was concerned about the clam and passenger door fit. Clearly not an issue though

good luck with it - should be a nice cost effective car

Only here once

Yes had seen this on ebay and looked like very good value for money considering all the usual crazy prices you see that breakers want for cars,  Looks like an excellent project and very clean to start with also, will be watching this thread closely,  wishing you the best of luck and hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you to get this car back on the road :thumbup:

A

2 minutes ago, m6rk said:

I dont want to talk costs specifically, but including paint, replacement parts, a few upgrades (exhaust stereo etc), service etc i'll have it done for under 20k..

Awesome! Whats the mileage on it?

Hmmm... is the car Motorsport green with red interior? If so does the registration end AXK?

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

22.5k on it, clutch feels good so fingers crossed there is some life left in it :)

thanks for all the positive comments! keeps me motivated heading out to the garage!

Just now, internets said:

Hmmm... is the car Motorsport green with red interior? If so does the registration end AXK?

it does indeed. if you have any info on the previous owner would love grab any history that might still be around... curious to what hit it too!

3 minutes ago, m6rk said:

thanks for all the positive comments! keeps me motivated heading out to the garage!

Motivation to go out into the garage is needed for owners with old lotus cars with rusty bits attached, That thing is spotless ! I would find it hard not to leave the garage when working on a project like this lol :)

A

:( that was my perfect car.i think It was a factory car that was then was sold by Lotus Newcastle who are no longer an official dealer. It was  then owned I believe by someone who lived in West London. Bell and Colvill serviced it a few times. It then ended up at a car dealer in Cardiff, Williams motor company and NO connection to the official Lotus dealer, who ended up on the tv program watchdog. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1NQ3T4t0PM2tvzGsY0SpCWv/company-response

i know several people went to view it but the dealer didn't seem keen to sell it, I went to see it and they had a poor atitude and It put me off but always wanted it. Make me wonder how it ended up like that...if I was suspicious. What information have you got on it? Feel free to pm me as have some pictures etc :) IMG_1888.JPG

Look forward to you fixing it up though :) 

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Mine is 2 letters away - AXM, but now on a LTS plate. Know Andrew Williams of said Cardiff dealer........ Looks like a great project and good luck in getting it back on the road asap. Will you keep it, or just move it on? 

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, m6rk said:

I dont want to talk costs specifically, but including paint, replacement parts, a few upgrades (exhaust stereo etc), service etc i'll have it done for under 20k..

That makes the car very much worth having at that price point - I was talking about cat registered cars with a buddy of mine in the trade a couple of days ago. He couldn't have one in his business - but he agreed that typically it should be 30% cheaper than list to make the car sell on.

i must say - if my v8 had have gone a few weeks earlier - I'd have been sniffing round that very car.

looking forward to the after pics

Only here once

Hi Mark,

Nice car and build project, keep us updated on progress.

I see you are binning the old Alpine unit? I might be interested in the Sat Nav unit inside as mine won't start up since my battery went flat last week. I've tried resetting it but it still stuck on 'loading'. Will you drop me a pm and le me know how much you want for the handheld unit inside please.

Regards,

David Walters

Nice work! Did you know you'd have saved (and still can) some cash if you were an FFM on your parts?

Also, fact of the day - The Evora passed it's rear impact test with flying colours. They propel a huge concrete block (something like 2 tonnes) into the back of the car at 30mph and to pass there can be no intrusion into the passenger cell. Quite a feat considering how close the engine is to the bulkhead. In fact, I believe the Evora is the only car not to have been completely written off by the test and with a new clam and rear subframe etc that vehicle was able to be reused for further impact testing. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Have you tried Alpine technical @superdavelotus ? There has been a few threads here about Alpine fixing the head unit , or maybe it was the blackbird unit, for free and updated the maps! Might be worth a shot

Hi David, Try page 2 of this thread...

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/71695-front-bumper-stone-chips-refurb/

Mr @auRouge is your man who can help point you in the right direction :) 

Yes I had the same problem. "LOADING"

A simple telephone call to Alpine tech services did it.  Send the blackbird unit to them and they will try to do what's necessary. It came back no charge fully serviceable with the latest maps too. I rate Alpine?

@internets didn't realise you'd moved on from the Evora too.. How's the Exige? 

@auRouge its awesome, unfortunately not had much time to enjoy it so far though. Miss the Evora lots but that is safely with @Redvx now.

I've got three friends with V6 Exige S's...

One is Komotech'ed to 430bhp, in his hands as quick as anything (including GT3's)... 

One is standard

One is a Sport 350

Theyve all had serious cars (Ultima GTR, Ferrari's 997 Turbo etc etc etc) in the past and all LOVE their Exige ??????

There was a green low mileage one for sale last summer on Pistonheads (prob someone on here) that was simply stunning and great value, mid forties from memory.. but I couldn't stretch that far for a second car unfortunately. One day?