Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ram Air modification - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ram Air modification

I am considering implementing Ram Air modification to my S4S.

OEM air ducts reconfiguration provides direct path to air cleaner by bypassing fender chamber which acts as the muffler chamber. 

Chamber also serves as moisture extractor during rain keeping air filter element dry.

My main concern is with possible water issue in Ram Air configuration.

Can someone who already has Ram Air setup provide feedback regarding driving during rain?

Thank you in advance.

Zig

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes I can,  

Although to knowledge no other has brought up this point , I did consider it during my ram air mods monitoring any issues in severe rain conditions after installation with NO effects recorded..

This does depend on the system you incorporate along with type of air filter..   However what seem to happen, or at least in my case, is any moisture that penetrates the system gets dispersed by the filter. This happens in such away that the induction charge entering the engine if anything will just have an increased humidity..  This in turn can  actually increase performance by increasing air density or be it slight.

On my last Ram air system , detailed half way down page 12 in the 412 thread in Esprit chat ,  the size and uninterrupted directness of the air passage, could have introduced water ingress at a greater level or even when stationary in certain extreme conditions.  To overcome this I introduced a small step just prior to the air filter intake.  This step has a drain  hole on the bottom edge to remove any water pooling while stationary , this will also act to help drain water beading that gathers on the walls of the primary stage of the intake..  All of this along with the  particular filter design has proven very capable of handling all types of weather conditions without issue..

hope this helps

I've run the standard ram air mod for about 5 years now, and as a daily driver the Esprit often has to face rain. No ill effects whatsoever, last check of the airfilter (K&N) showed no signs of water ingress. I did have the same worry as the OP at first though. Coming from Land Rovers, water ingress when offroading was something not to be overlooked.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

22 hours ago, Escape said:

Coming from Land Rovers, water ingress when offroading was something not to be overlooked.

So to conclude there does not seem to be any problems with rain , but as Filip states its probably best to keep the bow wave below the height of the intake when offroading..  or fit a snorkel  ..:lol:

When you look at it, the air intake on the Esprit is very well positioned for offroading. As high or even higher as on many 4x4s and up on the bodywork out of reach all but the highest (bow)waves. You just have to make sure the cooling fans don't come one while wading. :-)

emmaswimming.jpg

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Despite being a v8 and all, let's not forget which car faired the greatest, when it came to crossing Patagonia.

Despite and against all odds, combatting the mud, the rocks, the rivers, the the dodgy Fellow drivers WHO would at any given time not hold back "modifying" the Lotus so that it could not drive and finally: completely overlooking the general saying amongst non-lotus drivers . lots of trouble, usually serious.

Well, it put it all to shame. It was:

The Esprit

Kind regards,

Jacques.

... really must have inherited a bit of Landrover, one might think...

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 1 month later...

Good to see our gutfeeling and engineering logic confirmed in the grahs. I'd expect even more gains when on the move instead of on a rolling road, with the air being pushed in.

• 1 year later...