Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Restoring my Elite 503 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Restoring my Elite 503

SimonOmeara

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Fantastic job @SimonOmeara I was reading a thread last night regarding this, apparently removal of the lower cam cover will allow the body to fit over the engine whilst installed.

Good luck. Steve 

21 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Fantastic job @SimonOmeara I was reading a thread last night regarding this, apparently removal of the lower cam cover will allow the body to fit over the engine whilst installed.

Good luck. Steve 

Hi Steve, saw a video of them putting the body on in the factory and the dropped the body over at angle, taking the cam over off is good idea.

Great idea Simon on the MX5 lights,  I know it has been done before, but top bloke for taking the time to produce a proper bracket and offer the CAD drawings up to the folks on here :unworthy:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A

Just looking at the first picture of the car in its blue paint, and the bodyshell stripped down which looks spot on prep wise btw,  Have you de seamed the elite, i.e got rid of the waistband plastic trim bit as the pictures look seamless ?

A

I am doing a similar thing with Honda Accord motors, and so far so good. Your drawings compare with my seat of the pants measurements, namely the 100mm rise length. Do the Mazda motors go full circle or half forward/reverse? I need to get something working urgently, so it is not fully developed for easy installation(Lotus tradition?). The motors point down too, so can add a hole with a cover easily like on the S2 in case of failure for manual lift. Just screwed them straight into the wood with existing bracket.

56 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Dan - look at photo 2 - front wing - seam is still visible?

Ah must be hidden in the white as it looked as if they had been sanded back,  My mistake :getmecoat:

A

Thanks for the pdf!

Yes, it should be 100mm but 96mm effectively, there is a thread in the german forum http://www.lotus-forum.de/WBB/index.php/Thread/15366-Ein-neuer-Elite-75-sagt-Guten-Tag/ scroll about 2/3 down for the drawings

He also points out that the speed of the electric motor is important: most motors are 5mm/sec. which would be 20 seconds for 100mm. He installed faster ones with 20mm/sec which then is 5 seconds to lift the lights. 

Not sure about the Mazda, but if I'm not completely mistaken my MX-5 NA could rise the lights within 1 second or so...

5mm/sec would be for some linear motors? My motors seem to lift in less than 2 secs.

Saw an interesting article about a guy using linear motors for a Corvette, but he seemed to have much better access underneath which we don't have.

46 minutes ago, Farmer Bob said:

Hats off Simon, you have taken your restoration to another level ! With everything so perfect why use the MX5 motors, surely the vacuum system would work? 

Bob

Hi Bob, I just don't like them popping up after a while however well your pipes are sealed, plus the vacuum pod things are very tired. Your car looks great not looking forward to the windows or doors to be honest.

Edited by SimonOmeara

• 4 months later...

Loving your restoration. I've just aquired a 1978 503 which needs lots of love. I'll use your thread as inspiration.

:) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......