Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A journey into track days - Page 6 - Trackdays - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A journey into track days

BatMobile

Seems a good price for a front clam respray, I would have expected it to be quite a bit more than that.  I would recommend having PPF, you do pick chips up on track and obviously it tends to be debris travelling at a higher velocity.  Unfortunately, I had a stone hit my screen on track last year, that makes you jump!  I also had PPF added along the side sills as that area tends to get covered in tyre rubber marks, so at least with PPF you feel more confident giving the marks a good clean.  

Mothers Racing Rubber Remover btw, is excellent, just remember that it strips your wax so I try to keep it to the PPF.  I actually quite like the look of the car with rubber marks down each side, means that it has been having fun! :)

Good footage btw, looks like you were really getting in to it.  Go back and drive the GP circuit when you can, you'll love that.

What tyres are you running?

• Like 1

@M4rk thanks buddy, A long way to go still. Running the standard tyres  that came with the car. Pirelli I think, don’t seem as sticky as the Michelin sports variants I always used on previous fast cars.

100% up for the gp, would be good to get a group together for that and try to get in the same garage.

It doesn't take much encouragement to get TLF's too Silverstone :thumbup:

Ahh, OK, Corsa tyres.  They're probably much better in the wet than the Avon's I have on.  You will have read about tyre options on other threads; I believe the Michelin sports range are good and give better grip in the wet and the new variants last well too.  I run ZZR tyres, which when newer are surprisingly good in the wet, in the dry they're awesome but I've not tried Michelin yet.  I only asked as I noticed a fair amount of tyre noise as they hung on for grip. :)  

Yeah they squealed a lot! Wasn't hugely impressed by them.

I have read good things on the ZZR tyres, keen to know which is better for dry weather grip, those or the Michelin's - a wet day for me will be about controlling the car so low grip doesnt matter as it just makes it easier to break traction and play on that limit. 

30th May and 12th June are two options for Silverstone GP days if anyone fancies it?

Mark given your location are you around for the hethel track day on the 7th April?

Silverstone GP is an epic lap and considerable challenge to string it all together. DP was getting you to brake very hard and late in that video, I'm surprised it was on your first day, braking into the abs is going some. You must have been doing something right for DP to get you to that point. Got the tyres squealing good and proper. Nice for you to experience some of the potential of the car which just isn't responsibly possible on the road. Slippery slope though, road driving just feels like pottering about now I bet!

• Like 1

@The Pits you are right, road driving is very slow now but I do look at bends in a totally different way  ? 

we only had 20-30 minutes of dry annoyingly, would have been great to really push on but in that time the sheer speed of these things was very clear. 

i loved the car before but now it’s just made itself a keeper to be modified. It’s so impressive that it just went on all day. Others ran out of brakes/tyres but this car just wanted more. 

David was great, he got me really pushing the car and myself. Very much looking forward to my next sessions with him. 

Hoping he can make the hethel date but he might be racing. 

The ZZRs have stiff sidewalls so they also give a different feel to Michelin's I believe - I'm no expert.  They give a slightly firmer ride on road but I found more confidence with them on track over the Corsa tyre, grip levels are high.  Tyres are always a great discussion topic on track days :)

I will see if I can make the Hethel date, be good to meet up with fellow TLF members at the home of Lotus.  I drove Hethel last September, wet day so would be good to get a dry day experience there.  It is obviously a great place to take your Lotus but remember it is a test track rather than a race track.  I'm sure DP will be glad to help you but if he cannot book instruction and ask for an early slot.  (The guy LoT use there is a real Hethel expert).

June Silverstone date could work well.  I really must start planning some track dates for this year!

Hi Mark. It seems we must have met as i was also at Hethel last September. As you say, it was wet, verging on torrential for a few minutes. If you can make It will be nice to put another face to the name.

Unfortunately I cannot make the Silverstone dates. I'll be at a trackday at Folembray in May and on a walking holiday in Ireland for the June date, but there will be plenty of other opportunities. 

Having looked at my front again, whilst there are a few chips, they arent that bad and nothing a good detailer shouldnt be able to take out. 

As a result i want to get it PPF asap to save me a respray AND a PPF wrap in the future. 

I am based in Haslemere in Surrey, does anyone recommend a local (ish) company where i can get it done? Dont mind travelling an hour ish especially if they are based near a town i can grab a coffee/wifi whilst i wait. Somewhere good but not overpriced. 

Colin - you around in July/August? We can do the GP then - i plan on only doing it once so would be good to make it work for all if possible. 

@Bibs I would be very grateful, it would need a machine polish on the front where the stone chips are (the rest is ceramic coated) and then PPF applied to the whole front. The rest of the car is ceramic coated so should mean rubber etc can be easily removed. (anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong and other areas are worth doing to protect from stone chips). 

• Like 1

Hi Alastair. I've had a look at the options for Silverstone in July/August. As far as I can see there is only a Goldtrack day on 25th July....my Birthday and I could be enroute for the LOT Spa Trackday on 30th July. I also looked at the price (£549), which gets expensive as i have to add an overnight hotel, probably two nights. There are options for later in the year, eg 19/11 (£199) which I may do if weather half decent. I would suggest you pick up either the May or June dates, especially as you've had a taste of the place and i think it gets fully booked quickly. 

One thing I did spot was a trackday at Thruxton on 25/6 run by circuit days. What made this interesting was their offer to give a full credit to any car failing the 90 DbA static limit to be used at any of their venues. (Hats off to circuit days. Smart move as most are put off for fear of forfeiting all upon failure. This way at least some will get through and the remainder have plenty of choices for the credit). I did a Lotus Exige experience day there a couple of years ago and its a good fast circuit. Ideal for your Exige to stretch its legs. Its just over an hours drive for me, so a rare opportunity to avoid an overnight and frankly no big deal if i didn't make the noise level as they have plenty of other options. (At Bedford last weekend I was 89 DbA). In fact they have a good cart circuit at Thruxton, so thats where I would default to if I failed the noise test.

Currently I have the following booked: Brands Indy 25/2, Goodwood 24/3 (with yourself), Hethel 7/4, (again with yourself and Arun), Folembray and Nurburg GP and Ring 22-25/5 and Spa 30/7. After that it's a bit iffy as my eldest daughter, partner and grandsons might show up from Aussie where they reside. Their plans will firm over the next few months.

So, i'm still looking for something end April/early May and something in June. Any preferences? 

• Like 1

Agree re Silverstone GP dates, they do seem to get booked up quickly.

A V6 will fail a 90db test with a standard exhaust, they're around 97/98db at around the 5k revs asked for.

Colin - yes, we must have met at Hethel last September without realising that we had.  I will check my availability and see if I can make that date.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

My birthday as well, @Colin67! I'm also planning that July LoT date at Spa. 

What a coincidence Arun! Please let us know when confirmed. There seemed to be a lot of interest in this particular event so an early booking seems advisable. 

• Like 1

I'm also seriously considering the Spa day on 30th July as well as the LoT Hethel day on 2nd June.

I'm looking forward to doing a few track days in my 250 Cup this year and it would be good to catch up with a few of you guys. I just need the weather to cheer up a bit so I can get those pesky running-in miles out of the way!

The more the merrier Neil. It would be great to see another Elise Cup on track. Sadly I cannot make the 2nd June Hethel date, (Walking holiday), which is why i've booked the 7th April date along with @BatMobile,  @Arun_D and hopefully @M4rk ), but there are quite a few going in June from the Elise Cup Owners facebook page. Please post when confirmed.

I've thought about the 7th April date, but I think it's a bit too early for me. I want to get the running-in miles done, I've then got a Scotland trip planned for mid-May which should add another 1200 and it will then have enough miles on it for me to be comfortable with starting to track it.

I'll post up as soon as I've booked the 2nd June Hethel date.

• Like 1

Now signed up for goodwood on 1st June. Should be good to revisit quickly after a day’s tuition in March.

hofmanns have a lotus tech coming out due to tapping noise, may well need a new clutch.....after 3400 miles.....

• Like 1

On 09/02/2018 at 08:43, NW76 said:

I can recomend the Simpson Hybrid Sport or Pro: https://driver61.com/product/simpson-hybrid-system-pro-lite-head-neck-restraint/

Its realtively comfi to wear. Took me a trackday to get used to but ever since I do not really notice it anymore while driving on track.
For the drifters amongst us ( @GFWilliams ✌️): depending on your drift angle, you might find it hard to still look out the side window while fully in action... could be a bit dangerous than ?

Btw: there are different versions, you certainly do not have to go for the most expensive carbon (pro) version... 

I bought one and I will try next week for the first time.

• Like 1