Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any tricks to keep s4 cool in very hot weather? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Any tricks to keep s4 cool in very hot weather?

Techspy

Got my newly recored radiator back today. Now it's a three row core with wider fin gaps to help the sand fall through and improved low flow dimpled core tubes. I should have taken a photo of the old core, it was about 50% plugged internally by calcium deposits, typical for a 22 year old radiator.

Got a new oil cooler to replace the one I snapped the fitting on, $350 from JAE, new hoses, ready for reinstallation.

IMG_0170.JPG

Edited by Jphoenix
  • Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The new three row core is thicker than the old two row core. This causes interference with the radiator housing vertical L angles- requiring some modification to refit the pack into the carrier.

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

Today was the big test, 90 degrees, slow town traffic, AC on and blowing about 43 degrees out of the vents after recharging with R134a, radiator temp holding at 82C. After cooking at the traffic light and oil temp around 70C, pulled up a long 7% grade hill with AC on, actually cooled down to 80C. I'm quite pleased!

Finished painting the lower valance, hang it back on tomorrow. Next job - clutch.

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 00:14, Jphoenix said:

The new three row core is thicker than the old two row core. This causes interference with the radiator housing vertical L angles- requiring some modification to refit the pack into the carrier.

IMG_0189.JPG

What SPAL fans did you fit in, PN# ?

Does JAE sell radiators w/exchange or outright?

Thank you

On 8/6/2017 at 00:14, Jphoenix said:

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

MrDangerUS

John,   

Just try a local radiator place that recondtions them,  Just do not mention the word lotus when they ask what it is for,  I always say kit car as it tends to keep the price down :)  Worth a shot as you be suprised how much you can save by getting it done direct from the rad people,  I would probably say i have payed 2/3rds of what i would of payed at dealers :)

• Like 1

A

On 9/4/2017 at 16:57, silverfrost said:

John,   

Just try a local radiator place that recondtions them,  Just do not mention the word lotus when they ask what it is for,  I always say kit car as it tends to keep the price down :)  Worth a shot as you be suprised how much you can save by getting it done direct from the rad people,  I would probably say i have payed 2/3rds of what i would of payed at dealers :)

We think the same there. I said it was a tractor radiator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DanR

• 2 months later...

Thank you.

In addition, you may fit small fans into the deck lid vent openings to extract hot air from the engine compartment.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS