Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Millage - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Millage

mayevora

• Gold FFM

Esprit usage changes from individual to individual - Some do Zero mileage or next to nothing per annum, while others use their Esprit as a daily drive.

Mine is approaching 77K and in 6 years done just over 10K. When I bought it I thought 67K was quite low, but the nearer I get to 80K, I'm thinking high mileage. No signs of a rebuild needed (so far)

What do you consider to be high mileage? At what point would the mileage put you off a purchase, even if the car had been looked after and had an extensive history/lots spent?

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. Whilst mileage is always an issue, personally I think the old the cars are getting the less mileage matters. The fact that they are running and well looked after matters more.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

The S1/S2 cars don't seem to last more than 30k miles if not properly taken care of, so when I see one with 65k, 70k, 100k miles, I consider that it had to have been maintained for at least a while in order to have gone that far!

I think the later model the Esprit, the longer everything on them lasts; they are just so much better built, and Lotus improved the 9XX engine so many times over the years.

What is high mileage? Every single mile is a high in and of itself! :)

I honestly don't think mileage is important on an Esprit, other than to know how many miles are on the engine and gearbox. It's all about condition. :)

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I have been wondering the same thing. This is my first lotus. It had 39K when I bought it last year, now 42K. It has had a complete motor swap to a rebuit HC. The motor supposedly burned up when the PO ran it after letting it sit for couple years.

I would add to your query, how long do properly maintained, properly driven, motors last?

I was talking to someone today who has 4 Jensen Healeys. He reckoned Lotus told him that the engines take 60,000 miles to run in an over 100,000 miles is no problem.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

That's rather interesting seeing as the rumour is that Lotus used the Healey as a test bed for the 907, and failures were quite commonplace to say the least!

Mines on 79000 miles but I've put about 3000 miles on in the last 6 months. Had a top end rebuild at 75000 but this was due to an overheat causing a blown head gasket as opposed to a true mechanical breakdown. Seems to running fine............ for now!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I'd conside high mileage as over 80,000 miles. Mine has 95,000 at the moment. Bought it with 81,000, but it had a full Lotus service history, which IMO is more important.

The highest mileage I've heard of on an Esprit is 295,000 miles on a Stevens Turbo. It's had 2 engine rebuilds and is still running. It's Owner, Geoff, drove it all over Europe.

The highest mileage I've heard of without an engine rebuild is 144,000 miles, on a Steven Turbo again, from Wales. This is the car and it's still running fine.

Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_White_1987_Thum.jpg

I would agree with a lot of you guys. The mileage on the clock is not always an indication of the quality of the car. Mine has 50k now which is low (though it is a 1999 car) but had a complete engine rebuild at 47k so in essence is like a new car. Also depends on the stamps in the book. You could have a car with 40k that has a dodgy service history that is worse then a car with 80k but has a full Lotus service history kept at the 6k interval.

Regards

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

I was talking to someone today who has 4 Jensen Healeys. He reckoned Lotus told him that the engines take 60,000 miles to run in an over 100,000 miles is no problem.

Excellent news. Only 5k more to go in mine before I can start putting my foot down :)

More speed, less haste

It depends how the millage was achived.

25,000 hooligan/all redline shifted/ minimal maintenance miles are like 150,000 well maintained /considerate miles IMO :)

My car has 59,000 kms on it and has had 2 full engine rebuilds BTW.

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Depends on type of use - there was a 260,000 mile porsche at the rolling road which was still putting out standard BHP but it had been maintained propperly.

At the right money nothing would put me off esp if it has been maintained well or has a log book in good order, I'd be wary of modifications though esp on a turbo car where the boost is just cranked up.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

What is high Millage?

No idea! :)

High Mileage though? Well i had my S3 engine rebuilt at about 68k miles.

I don't know how many miles Terry has done since but i'm informed that

eight years later she has not missed a beat, so i'd not be surprised if it

could do 70k plus on that engine at least.

I looked at a 95k SE that had enough history and bills to convince me the

engine had had enough new parts to be good still, but the rest of the car had

not faired as well and the costmetics alone would have cost way more than an

engine rebuild to put right - making the engine longevity academic on that car.

IMHO If its a really tidy Esprit with good paint, interior, wheels, tyres, brakes

etc. Then a possible future engine bill should not be too scary, as I for one could

spend

I bought my GT3 with 4,700 miles on it and sold it six years later with 69,000 miles. I never had any engine trouble ( other things, but not the engine ). I used it as my daily work car, and for about 6 months did 120 miles a day.

Right then, said Fred.

Lottie and I did around 20k a year from new in 1990 to laying her up for an overhaul in 1997 with over 130,000. Sold her in 2002 (after 5 years laid up waiting to save overhaul budget) and PO was planning to fit a Garry Kemp 'crate' engine, but once they looked at her motor they decided it was basically sound and PO did an overhaul to S300 spec instead.

Since buying her back last year I've had a few problems (mainly leaks) and she's currently in the local workshop having the head gasket replaced (PO went for a solid copper one, I'm having a Goetz fitted on GK's advice) and top end shimmed and re-gasketed. In fact, I'm going round later to lap the valves in...although 'Customer Helping' is at least a 200% surcharge...

Towards the end of our first 130,000+ miles I'd suffered a worn-out water pump and aircon compressor, failed fan motors (one rusted through and fell off) coil pack, numerous chargecooler impellers, and oil pressure was waning, so it was time for a proper overhaul. Jeez though, I love this car...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I purchased my 89 in 1992 with 1,700 miles on the clock. today ithas just under 91K. Still running strong and the engine is untouched.

The car has seen periods of high mileage in a year to times where it sat little used, while I was out of state.

The car is presently used as a regular driver adn track day practice car.

Love that Esprit motor!

I had a few years ago a 92 Excel Celebration with 129,000 miles on it, FSH but original motor untouched.

Ran perfectly, used no oil or water and felt very strong.

Most of its miles were motorway work mind you but nothing about it gave me to think it would need a rebuild in 000's of miles in the future.