Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Kearley killed my clutch... - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Kearley killed my clutch...

Following on from the loose gearbox secondary shaft nut problem, popping out today in the V8 and half way home I'm getting a loud shrieking noise from the back end on with the clutch disengaged and on take up. Once engaged it is fine and gear changes when moving not a problem. No noises. Initially I thought it might be the box/synchros but it does it when pulling away in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. It didn't deteriorate on the rest of the journey home but I think the racket might have freaked out a few drivers behind me. I'm coming to the conclusion that I might have a toasted clutch plate. Thoughts people?

@Barrykearley I knew I shouldn't have parked next to you at Castle Combe. Huh, bad news usually comes in threes so I'm not looking forward to the last problem... Anyway Barry, as a man of considerable transmission experience, I think I remember you saying you could get a box out in a few hours or so? If true then I'm not daunted. Can you remember where you got your V8 clutch from/exchanged? Anyone else have a UK source? @Alex Carter, you have posted quite a few threads in here on V8 clutches etc. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Sad 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I see that the wonderful PNM can refurb clutches for a reasonable price:

image.png.607114cef18d2f269a1312851f03d84f.png

However, I think that mine might have been rebuilt once before, need to check back through the PO invoices...

• Gold FFM

It's a simple job ripping the box out chap - I got it down to just under an hour.

think I got my clutch kit fro swlc - was £700 ish exchange if I remember correctly.

i agree with @ian29gte - 4 pot clutches are as cheap as chips - £130 and the bearing comes with it for that.

does sound more bearing related - it's a funny clutch system - push or pull I forget - but it's not the normal type ? 

Only here once

Thank you gents.

I reckon that you are right on the money Ian and Barry - release bearing sounds probable. I found the PO's receipts and it had a "replacement clutch" three years ago from PNM. That's only 8,000 miles ago so it should be more than healthy.

pnm_receipts.thumb.JPG.7170f7a5f2c5de47be8c1102f4fea272.JPG

However, I reckon he didn't change the release bearing, only the cover and the plates - false economy? It had the master and slave cylinders replaced as well so that's good news. Also, I can do the driveshaft seals properly while it is out.

Ha - yes, four pot clutches may be cheap but what can I say? You have to pay for man's torque... B-)

Hoping you can do it with just a release bearing Alan. Otherwise just call Barry to pass by and it's out in an hour. That sounds very easy in my ears.

Anyway, that torque figure of your v8 is just fine.

But my nice and stable four pot delivers 415 Nm at 4425 rpm. 4 pot power. We don't need those enlargements, as we have plenty of go ...  ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

It's floor out.

split driveshafts

gearbox chassis mounts off.

Gear change linkage off

8 bolts I think to engine off.

pull clutch fork up.

swear like a bitch and disengage the box from the block 

• Thanks 1

Only here once

10 minutes ago, Jacques said:

We don't need those enlargements, as we have plenty of go ...  ;)

I've heard that about Scandinavians and Danes in particular...

4 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

It's floor out.

split driveshafts

gearbox chassis mounts off.

Gear change linkage off

8 bolts I think to engine off.

pull clutch fork up.

swear like a bitch and disengage the box from the block 

Box out from underneath or from the top Mr Kearley?

Darn, you're fast Guys. You have way too much time on your hands ;)

Ha ha, Alan, you've just earned yourself a good strong beer, should you pass these Waters ;)

Meanwhile, I don't have defect gearbox yet, but a dead alternator. Replaced the voltage regulator today, no difference. Next step is new brushings, ehich are on their way.

And funnily enough (not) the Danish Sumemr have juuuust decided to show itself from it's nice and warm side these days... Never mind, I jsut make my Laverda scream instead ;)

Cheers,

Jacques ;)

• Gold FFM
19 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

I've heard that about Scandinavians and Danes in particular...

Box out from underneath or from the top Mr Kearley?

Out the top mate - you need another pair of hands and a duvet or some nice thick underlay to protect the transom.

its not that heavy - but is awkward

32 minutes ago, Jacques said:

But my nice and stable four pot delivers 415 Nm at 4425 rpm. 4 pot power. We don't need those enlargements, as we have plenty of go ...  ;)

Even @swindon_alan will under duress admit my 1/2 car sounded lovely ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only here once

6 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Even @swindon_alan will under duress admit my 1/2 car sounded lovely ??

Yeah, not bad for a half car. I was more impressed with the amount of green vegetation life-giving carbon emanating from the back end...

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Ahh now the exhaust tips aren't facing the sky - that's clearing out. The pipes were very sooty inside  - if I've learnt anything from woodburners and biomass boilers - water and heat in exhausts are not a good mix - always leading to soot and horribleness 

• Like 1

Only here once

Mine is not a 120 Jota, though I have tried it and have 3 friends who all have one. A pretty rare beast. Definately worth having ;)

Mine is a SFC1000. Or as sucrapi would have said it:

"Sport Freni Competitione Mille"

Sounds nice though.

Lightened but with standard engine. Turns out 102 Hp at the rear Wheel and weight 203 kilo. Better engine than the Jota 120. Better frame, brakes, forks, rear swing arm and Wheels. Around 175-180 left on the planet. Been driving Laverda for more than 22 years. Love that bike.

Oh, and the return springs on the DellOrto carbs are just as hard to pull ;)

I use a ctek to charge my Esprit, Laverda, Corrado et al. And it Works beautifully. It have a program to desulfate the plates inside the battery. It can also often rescue a Deep discharged battery back to life and stability.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

sfc.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful Jacques, absolutely stunning bike. Always had a hankering for Laverdas and Italians. I nearly bought a Morini 3 1/2 Sport instead of my 1960 Matchless 500cc single back in 1978. In hindsight I should have had both! I love triples too. When I finally become a millionaire I will have a Laverda, a Triumph Trident T160 and a Kawasaki H1 500!

Good advice about the CTEK. Will investigate... Although I just checked on the Bosch battery I bought last and the cranking amps is quite a lot below the original V8 spec "Tungstone Heavy Duty type E088" (no longer available) by about 30A so even if I desulphate it I don't think it is up to the job. Lotus always, always, always spec their components for a reason..!

2 minutes ago, Jacques said:

By the way, I swear that those two pipes that Sticks out on the rear, are no exhaust, but organ pipes. Makes wonderfull music  :wub::wub::wub:

Jacques.

I remember going to Brands Hatch racing circuit back in the late 70's and there were racing Tridents howling around the track. I have never heard a noise quite like it, truly a banshee wail. I want, I want, I want...

Cheers Alan.

I looked into using two Shorai LiFe batteries coupled together and get twice as many cranking amps as demanded. And the outer Shell are pure carbon. Saves A LOT of weight.

But I don't know if they went under. At least the former European importer (situated here in Denmark) does not give a sound.

And I don't know if the voltage, which is a Little higher on a Li Fe battery, will kill the ecu.

Bosch Silver for me. Last 13 years and never fails. There is a Little trick to do, if your car will have to live Cold in the autoum or during Winter. And that is to look into VW's sortiment of battery protection bags. A soft bag that sits around the battery and helps preventing it from being so Cold, that it lowers cranking amps considderably. Doesn't Work miracles, but still worth having, if need be.

The ctek are pretty good. And they back up their products. That cannot always be said about the chinese competitors. Does not short etc.

OOhhhhhh! that Kawa is an old death drome machine ;)

Tried one many moons ago, before the World thought that they should raise in Price.

Like the others as well. A friend of mine very recently sold his SFC1000 (Black and wire Wheels - german importer Uwe Witt version) for cheap moeny 11000 gbp to the UK. Thought maybe someone on here?

Millionaire? Me? I'd get a Sport 300 in a giffy!

Cheers,

Jacques

• Like 1

Alan I went for a helix race clutch more brutal but I wanted better bite . It's still sat on the shelf lol I have my old one too the bearing is still good if you want it . Taking the box out is easy .pop by the new shop and come see I'll talk you through it . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sorry, still off topic...

I have a Laverda Jota 120. I've owned it since 1985!

It's laid up waiting some restoration work. Unfortunately it wont get looked at for quite some time due to the ongoing Lotus resto's.

:) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......