Remote Control Planes - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Remote Control Planes

Number 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon, I think you're still logged as Fraser or Fraser have you found dads credit cards! :):(

I've 4 rc heli's (2 x electric and 2 x nitro) and am moving out of the hobby and selling them on. Unless you've an awful lot of patience and a good amount of engineering based skills it's a fairly painstaking hobby. Planes on the other hand seem to be a pleasure to fly and an awfully lot less complex plus easier to fly and cheaper to fix if you crash 'em!

Make sure you join the BMFA as for about

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I built an RC plane .40 glow engine 46" wingspan about 10 years ago...

Now they have these electric rc's that look like unlimited hydrofoil boats that also go on land, and can fly in the air, as well as race around on the water...!!! Those would be awesome for a beginner, and they are cheap ~$100.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I built an RC plane .40 glow engine 46" wingspan about 10 years ago...

Now they have these electric rc's that look like unlimited hydrofoil boats that also go on land, and can fly in the air, as well as race around on the water...!!! Those would be awesome for a beginner, and they are cheap ~$100.

http://www.hobbytron.com/HydroFoam.html

or

http://www.paramountzone.com/hydro-foam-rc-boat-plane.htm

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Love RC anything.

Think the only thing I have left at the mo is a RC Tamia Nigel Mansell Williams that was a couple of hundred quid over a decade ago. I've had battery RC's and fuel.

Cars, Plains and Boats are all relatively easy to learn and pick up quite quickly. Remote control gliders are also good fun. A big don't though has to be Helicopters. Very easy to crash and burn alot of money on a first flight and def. not for the novice.

With Planes, you can buy from as little as

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Just don't do what I did as a surly, know-it-all teenager...

Model Shop Proprietor - I'd recommend a simple, high wing trainer as your first model and some R/C flying lessons

Smarty Pants Teenager - Nah, I fancy one of those expensive scale model jobbies and I'm going to teach myself

MSP - I really wouldn't recommend it. Are you absolutely sure?

SPT - Yeah

SPT then spends weeks building kit, and makes rather a splendid job of it too.

SPT's father - I'll pay for you to join a club so you can have one or two R/C flying lessons.

SPT - Nah, I've read all the books, magazines and it doesn't sound that hard.

Typical teenage son/father argument then ensues...

SPT's father - Well, on your head be it and don't say I didn't offer!

Needless to say MSP and SPT's father were proved to be utterly correct. Fatal stall during maiden flight resulted in model burying itself in the ground and reverting to kit status.

SPT then bought a high wing trainer, had a couple of lessons and the world was a better place.

So, I'd strongly recommend going to a decent model shop and seeking advice... and then listening to it!

Edited by Tentenths

• Gold FFM

Model Shop Proprietor - I'd recommend a simple, high wing trainer as your first model and some R/C flying lessons

Smarty Pants Teenager - Nah, I fancy one of those expensive scale model jobbies and I'm going to teach myself

SPT - Yeah

SPT's father - I'll pay for you to have some R/C flying lessons.

Needless to say MSP and SPT's father were proved to be utterly correct. Fatal stall during maiden flight resulted in model burying itself in the ground and reverting to kit status.

SPT then bought a high wing trainer, had a couple of lessons and the world was a better place.

So, I'd strongly recommend going to a decent model shop and seeking advice... and listening to it!

:crybaby: That brings back memories James - can remember those same conversations with the same people - and do we listen? Think thats a big NO, cos we no best at that age right? Wrong (as all those weeks of pocket money and paperound money falls out of the sky from a great height) Can laugh now though :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Quite right Ian.

Apart from teaching me that there were a few adults who did actually know more than me :), that and one or two other fairly costly mistakes really taught me the value of money.

Oh, and going off topic for a moment - Penny bought the Cooper S; picking it up on Saturday :(

• Gold FFM

Oh, and going off topic for a moment - Penny bought the Cooper S; picking it up on Saturday :)

SPT - Yeah

SPT's father - I'll pay for you to join a club so you can have one or two R/C flying lessons.

So, I'd strongly recommend going to a decent model shop and seeking advice... and then listening to it!

Smarty Pants Father buying birthday present for son - Nah, he fancies one of those expensive scale model jobbies ... like a 4 engine Lancaster bomer.... and I'm going to teach him myself... ive been on an Easy Jet flight to Malaga and saw inside the cockpit before they took off....looks simple enough to me :)

But seriously, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Future Posted Image

Why mess about with wussy 4 engined bombers when you can have an 8 turbine, 23 foot wingspan B52? :)

Seem to remember reading that it was subsequently destroyed after an unscheduled and very spectacular coming together with Mother Earth :(

On an altogether smaller scale this shows what can be done once you really master r/c flying -

As to electric vs nitro, as a petrolhead I'd probably lean towards nitro if I resumed r/c flying. But, as Bibs mentions, huge advances in battery technology over the last few years mean that electric flying is now a really viable alternative. Also worth bearing in mind that many councils and/or residents have a major problem with the 'noise pollution' caused by nitro engines.

Edited by Tentenths

I started flying planes over 20 years ago, but now don't get much chance. I have been an instructor, competed in competition aerobatics, ducted fan jets, and done display flying.

I would recommend buying a 50 to 60inch span 4 channel trainer as first model. Avoid anything with a glassfibre fuselage unless well made, as cheap glass models are heavy and do not make good trainers - dont make the mistake I made all those years ago. Having struggled with a heavy glass fibre 40 powered scale looking type trainer, I then tried an all built up trainer of similar size and learnt to fly much quicker. Start with 4 channel (aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle). Dont go the 3 channel route (elevator, rudder, throttle), theres no point, despite what the model shop might tell you - in order to introduce an extra sale.

I have always flown ic, electric never did it for me and can still cost a lot to get good performance.

As far as radio, you get what you pay for. I would recommend a set with rates, servo reversing and ATVS if possible (adjustable travel volumes), to make setting up the plane a whole lot easier. If you intend to fly more than 1 model with the same transmitter, computer sets are great. I have always used top end Futaba computer sets, that provide many more features, channels, and mixing that is required for advanced aircraft.

An important thing to decide is where you are going to fly. Joining a club is by far the best way to learn and get instruction. This also influences the radio sets 'Mode' that you should buy. Radios are available in 4 modes, mode 1 and mode 2 being the most common. Mode 2 is throttle and rudder on left stick and aileron and elevator on right. Mode 1 is throttle aileron on left, rudder and elevator on right. It would be advisable to start with the mode used by the instructors in the club you join, as most people always fly one mode, so turning up with a different mode to everyone else will make it harder to get instruction.

Hope this helps a bit

Hi folks

Thanks for all the info on this... i did look at this one rear prop / electric etc

http://barnson.org/node/777

because it seemed to be ok (???) and not toooo expensive but on that site it says dont buy it for a first plane.

you get this sort of thing for

Edited by Number 1

Future Posted Image

Oh dear... just got back from lunch to find I've inadvertently bought a copy of RCM&E... first one I've bought for nearly 20 years... must resist... must resist!!!

Damn you Massons :P;)

:no:D:):(:rofl:

Well now you are clearly in a position to advise me on whats on the market!

Love it.... this is all just a wheez you know....a test run.....

Next week im going to buy shares in a kart making company and then ask anyone if they know anything about buying karts????

Then im going to become the Bernie Eclescake of the LEF karting forum :(

Future Posted Image

I wil second (or third or?) the motion on a good trainer. My first plane was a super hot shot, lots of $$ at the time. First flight I scattered it in a parking lot. Then I bought a cheap trainer: to small of a motor (.25) and to heavy=hard to fly. But did fly it, then to many hard landings destroyed it. Then I bought a good royal trainer, great plane. I have no idea about eletrics, quit flying 17 years ago. There is nothing like the smell of burning nitromethane. Also had an 80mph car once.......just once.

Hi folks....

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Ok we are getting close to a result by the looks of things. I need to get a trainer plane then.

Sounds like electric might be the easy way to go ????

Now then

Put my money where your mouth is .... Recommendations please?????

And no one got one for sale???? :) ..... amazing

Edited by Number 1

Future Posted Image