Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
HEAD GASKET GONE,S4 S, HOW MUCH ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

HEAD GASKET GONE,S4 S, HOW MUCH ?

lotuslee

Hi guys, just got my car started after 7 months of her standing only to find the head gaskets gone, i bought her blind with no keys or alarm remotes so when i got that sorted and tried starting her the head gaskets gone, i took all plugs out and both banks towards the back are wet, when trying to start her the gasses come out the header tank, my question is as iv allready got a cracked screen im thinking of selling as she is but if the head gasket job wasnt to expensive i might do that as well, question is what am i looking at, is it engine out time, is it true its a vauxhall block, because theres so much gasses coming out the header tank has it done more than the head gasket, any help from you guys well appreciated, oh shes a 1995 S4 s turbo 2.2, thanks, Lee.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the honest answer is you won't know without a strip down of the top end to find out why the gasket went. If it was due to an overheat there may be other underlying issues, radiator, cooling fans, warped head (meaning a rebuild or worst case new head) etc.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I'm having my head gasket fixed at present and am allowing for 15 hours labour and maybe

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Hi Lee

Sorry to hear the news....

Not going to know whats wrong until you start taking it appart....

Not a vauxhaul block....

Could be as simple as a head gasket but could also end up being very expensive if its been overheated... warped head, liners possibly. Could be you replace the head gasket and fire it up and you still got the problems.... :D then the only option i guess is a full engine rebuild.... and lots of

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Hi Lee

Sorry to hear the news....

Not going to know whats wrong until you start taking it appart....

Not a vauxhaul block....

Could be as simple as a head gasket but could also end up being very expensive if its been overheated... warped head, liners possibly. Could be you replace the head gasket and fire it up and you still got the problems.... :) then the only option i guess is a full engine rebuild.... and lots of

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Hi guys, car now on ebay with a low buy it now with offers considered, heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

cheers, Lee.

If I was in the UK, I'd give you the money for it right now, on the spot.

Unless you can organise secure storage for it for a few months while the import paperwork would get done so I can bring it here.

If I was in the UK, I'd give you the money for it right now, on the spot.

Unless you can organise secure storage for it for a few months while the import paperwork would get done so I can bring it here.

Hi andecorp, tempting i must say but i think at that price she will be gone very soon, if you was to pay up front for the vehicle though in full i will arrange secured storage as i have my eye on a merc cl65, i know this might sound daunting for you not getting your car for a few months and paying up front but im one of the most trust worthy guys around, ref storage i can get a quote but it wont be cheap, one thing what is cheap though is the bloody car !!, how many months are we talking please, cheers, Lee.

Damn that's a great color combo! Could be the car for Kimbers .......

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

You can just see it now:-

Pinky " hi dad just bought an Esprit, needs a bit of work though, can you help out please"

MJK " sure just drop it round, i'll get the boys at work to sort it for you, oh and is the respray a dark pink or a light pink"

Edited by esprit350

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Hi guys, a friend of mine is going to use his photo bucket to host much larger pics without the sun so much, theres actually not that many scratches to be honest, maybe 4! and will probably t-cut out, cheers, Lee.

what are the wheels of please, cheers, Lee.

The wheels are from the 1996-1997 Esprit V8. I have them on my 1989 SE as well.

Seriously Kimbers should buy it... leave it blue though!!!

Or Bibs should just so he's not stuck in an NA anymore.... :)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE