Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GRRR... you fix one problem and guess what? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GRRR... you fix one problem and guess what?

Jexsi

While blasting down a B road the accelerator pedal just went straight to the carpet?? Car was still running and idling at 1000RPM, how do I get home?? Well I thought let’s try to get home at idle speed, 36 years later I made the 3 miles back home with the longest and angriest queue of cars behind me, of course every one of them reminded me I am a nob as they sped past me.. long story short, the nipple had jumped out of the retainer at the cable end under the footwell, what a lovely job... managed to get it back in but broke 4 ribs as well, quick tip if/when you have to do this which will happen, fasten a couple of ty raps over the slot where the cable goes into the bracket, now it can’t fall out again!!  So start her up and vroom vroom, all fixed, and as I stare momentarily at the oil pressure gauge, which has always worked perfectly, it goes from 3 Barr to Zero and just stops... scared me to death so I cut the engine, restarted it and the oil warning light went out immediately so I don’t think it’s pressure related, just wondered if I may have loosened something while scrambling around under the footwell? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I have had to do that cable on my S4 as well. I can't think of anything that is down there that could be related to the oil pressure gauge other than the wiring under the dash. Bit of a stretch to think that you have disturbed that? Worth just trying a new sender?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks Michael and happy new year!! Is the sender east to  get at? I understand the actual  oil flow sender is a nightmare, or are they the same?

shaun

Hi Shaun,

The oil pressure sender is easy to access - it is next to the oil filter in filter housing. You'll need to locate the wiring within the instrument loom and check it through to the gauge.  More broken or bruised ribs to look forward to :stuart:

Filter set-up.JPG

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike, is this the same sender that controls the red oil warning light on the dash? If so then that red light goes out immediately the engine fires up so seems that it is OK??

The same sender, but the wiring in the dash is different. 

Sounds like the wires to the red oil pressure warning lamp are good, but the wiring to the oil pressure gauge is loose.

Remove the seat first, to make it easier to work under the dash!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Travis, one more question please, so if the red light is working properly as it is, does that mean that it cannot be a fault with the actual sender itself? 

sorry, i was wrong before, on the V8 there is a different oil pressure switch and oil pressure transducer.

So you'll have to check the wiring on the oil pressure transducer on the left side of the engine, as well as at the gauge in the dash.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Correct - they are different on the V8.   The oil pressure switch is sitting in the LHS side of the block - this is what your dash light is working off.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica