Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I’m back... - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I’m back...

jack.pe

• Gold FFM

That was a stunner. Plenty more where that came from though. Nice Ice Blue one springs to mind, or a Silk Red V8, Red S3 Turbo, Red S4 or a Red S2.

Chaps, gave her a good detail yesterday and love it more than ever. Not been able to drive it much yet. There are quite a few things I’d like to do but I’ve a few questions, especially as money is tight right now.

1. Going to fit a different gear knob, I saw the sports racer all alloy one is the best bet and they’re not expensive so will go for one of those. Also Is the upgraded gearchange cable an easy DIY or not? 

2. Do you know if the standard alpine unit has a separate amp? My car has upgraded  speakers but midrange is still awful. Don’t want to change whole unit but if there is an amp it could be a cheap upgrade to change

3. Everyone seems to use Pirelli P-Zeros but they’re not very highly thought of in other car makes.. are they really the eBay fitment for the Evora? 

4. Does my S have the third cat or not? The delete pipe would be the cheapest way to get more exhaust sound but 2bular told me UK spec S cars don’t have it, only NA cars. Who’s right?

Edited by jack.pe

1. No, not an easy DIY job. 

2. Don’t think so. 

3. Michelin PS4S are the current best. But you won’t be able to get them in the split 18/19 sizes. Unfortunately, you’re a bit stuck. Last time someone checked, PS4 only go up to 18” and PS4S only start in 19”. That might have changed by now though. 

4. I think that the ‘cat delete pipe’ in place of the 3rd cat was only from MY12 onwards. Older Ss has the 3rd ‘cat’. 

1, it would be worth checking that the car hasn't already had the upgraded cables.  I believe some pre MY12 cars were upgraded under warranty, or by owners looking to improve the gear change.  I never found anything really wrong with the gear change on your car, so it may have already been done.

2, the standard Alpine unit does run a separate amp for the sub but not the front speakers

3, the Pirellis are fine in the dry, and they're OK in the cold once they're warmed up.  Your tyres have plenty of life left in them - I'd be inclined to leave them alone for now, especially if money is tight after the purchase.

4, no idea - sorry!

42 minutes ago, The Lotus Position said:

1, it would be worth checking that the car hasn't already had the upgraded cables.  I believe some pre MY12 cars were upgraded under warranty, or by owners looking to improve the gear change.  I never found anything really wrong with the gear change on your car, so it may have already been done.

Always worth a check. The MY12 cables are easily identified as they have 4 (bloody expensive!!) annodised nuts that hold the cables to the mounts on the gear box. Earlier cables have a slotted plastic sleeve (in various colours - depicting the version) . I know of at least one car where the owner had been told by a main dealer that it had been upgraded to MY12 cables, whereas in fact it had MY11 cables.

That said, nothing wrong with the earlier cables if properly adjusted, replacement cables are a few hundred £, but the parts alone for MY12 are over £1500 because it needs a new handbrake and gear lever assembly. 

I think they went through something like 4 designs of the cables pre MY12, each getting better.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 2 weeks later...

With the weather as it is not got much chance to use the car.. do t want to drive it when salt abounds as it does now. In the meantime I’ve fitted a new weighed gear knob, same as the 400 one I think and also have the K&N to fit. Hoping it gives a little more intake noise!

Aside from that still not 100% sure I’ve got to the bottom of the water in driver side mat.. as once dry it did get wet againon the edges. However that may have been residual water in the footwell. I’ve since hosed it down and it seemed to stay dry.

When I had it on one of mine, from memory the foam under the carpet held a lot of water. I ended up with mine on spin in the washing machine then the tumble dryer.  Still took a while after that to get them completely dry!

• 2 weeks later...