Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hello From A New V8 Owner - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello From A New V8 Owner

beeRS

Hello to all,

I just thought I'd introduce myself. I've just entered the world of Esprit ownership with a v8 (2002 model) which I am seriously enjoying. (SOOOOOOO glad I didnt go for that Porsche now!)

I'm also slowly discovering that my Esprit has a bit of a past. Aparently it was owned by a John Roberts and appeared on Top Gear (reg YC51 OTU). It was driven by Clarkson and the Stig.

I'd love to know a bit more about this cars history, so if anyone can fill me please let me know.

Cheers!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can tell you that the 350 wheels came on the car straight from the factory!

It also appeared in LEW's Calendar!

There's video's of it from Top Gear floating around, including the Stig driving it around the track!

Hi Kato,

I did wonder about the wheels because they wernt standard. Do you know which calender it appeared on (I'm guessing 2004?) Any ideas where I can get hold of Top Gear video?

Welcome :unworthy:.

Here's your motor. I remember it for sale a few years ago (I seem to remember it on ebay too) and have some pics somewhere, will try and find them.

406.jpg

There's two different clips on our video page for ClubLEW Members.

http://www.clublew.co.uk/Clubpages/videos.html

The left vid has been removed from You Tube, due to copyright infringement :wallbash:. The Stig's test drive works fine (as Kato hosts it).

Pretty sure I've got a copy of the missing clip on the pc at home. If I can find it I'll upload it onto yousendit.com and post a link later tonight. Of course, if anyone else has it and wants to save me a job please feel free :wallbash:

James

Edit - where are my manners? :unworthy: Welcome to LEF Sonny :rant:

Edited by Tentenths

Congrats.

It also appeared on Men & Motors when they did a piece on the Esprit last year.

Where did you buy it was it PSG Cars?

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Congrats.

It also appeared on Men & Motors when they did a piece on the Esprit last year.

Where did you buy it was it PSG Cars?

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I didnt know the car appeared on Men & Motors. Any idea where i can get hold of the clip?

Yes the car was bought from PSG Car. I've had it for 5 days now!

Pretty sure I've got a copy of the missing clip on the pc at home. If I can find it I'll upload it onto yousendit.com and post a link later tonight. Of course, if anyone else has it and wants to save me a job please feel free :wallbash:

James

Edit - where are my manners? :unworthy: Welcome to LEF Sonny :rant:

Hi,

I'd love to see the clip - if you dont mind uploading it for me. Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum,

the men and motors program is avaiable as a DVD from LEW link at the bottom of the page

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

John's car was the first (i think) '02 model year car, delivered late 2001 and lotus had at that time not yet received the delivery from OZ of the new "nova" wheels which were to be standard on all 02 MY cars. I remember John posted up on the old Yahoo grp that he'd been offered saturns or mags or he could wait for the novas to turn up. After a chorus of replies he agreed that a FOC set of (very exclusive, extremely expensive and super-lightweght) magnesio wheels would be the best option!

I test drove this car last year when it was up on ebay - it was with a part time trader at that point who'd be running it (not regd on v5) as his own car. Can't remember his name but it was somewhere around birmingham. That was sept (?) last yr. The car had what looked like a transmission oil leak, nothing major to fix. I didn't buy because I didn't get a warm feeling about the bloke selling.

Some time in the past the wheels had a re-furb and were painted silver. If it was me I'd get them done properly and returned to the correct mag grey colour.

some pics..

Some time in the past the wheels had a re-furb and were painted silver. If it was me I'd get them done properly and returned to the correct mag grey colour.

Yeah, I was going to say that too, they look shitloads better grey...

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

John's car was the first (i think) '02 model year car, delivered late 2001 and lotus had at that time not yet received the delivery from OZ of the new "nova" wheels which were to be standard on all 02 MY cars. I remember John posted up on the old Yahoo grp that he'd been offered saturns or mags or he could wait for the novas to turn up. After a chorus of replies he agreed that a FOC set of (very exclusive, extremely expensive and super-lightweght) magnesio wheels would be the best option!

I test drove this car last year when it was up on ebay - it was with a part time trader at that point who'd be running it (not regd on v5) as his own car. Can't remember his name but it was somewhere around birmingham. That was sept (?) last yr. The car had what looked like a transmission oil leak, nothing major to fix. I didn't buy because I didn't get a warm feeling about the bloke selling.

some pics..

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info about the car - funny you should mention the wheel - I've just booked it in to a coachworks to have a few minor scuffs sorted as well as a proper refurb on the wheels. At the moment I'm just trying to get a paint code for the prroper mag grey for the wheels. Does anyone know what the proper colour is called?

Interesting about the oil leak. I had a pre-purchase inspection done by Ron Champion (Yes they guy that wrote the Locost book) and he did not pick this up. Perhaps the seller sorted it out.

Great pics of Gezzer in the Lotus - Cheers.

Snuffy had his mags refurbished - he should be able to help out ref the colour. I think magnesium wheels are more complex to do properly vs aluminium alloys. Would suggest you make sure they guys you have are conversant with magnesium wheel refurbs.

I echo the comment re mag wheels and refurb, make sur thay know what they are doing, , aparently once stripped thay need to be re coated very quickly or they will oxidise... been discussed on here a while since try searching...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Snuffy had his mags refurbished - he should be able to help out ref the colour. I think magnesium wheels are more complex to do properly vs aluminium alloys. Would suggest you make sure they guys you have are conversant with magnesium wheel refurbs.

Adrian had trouble matching the colour IIR, also had to have them done multiple times due to oxidisation (and they were "away" again when he sold it)

If the wheels are not badly kerbed and the main issue a colour change could they not just be painted over without blasting and re-exposing the magnesium???

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I did have the colour code somewhere (I'll have to see if I can find it) but when I took it to a few refurb places they couldn't use it. Apparently since the wheels are made in Italy the paint is a special colour and would cost a fortune to get.

Most places said they could offer a colour that was very similar.

Note the comment about getting them done by someone who knows what they are doing with magnesium wheels. The Sport 350 group have had a discussion on this and so far we havent found anyone in the UK who can offer the inert atmosphere way of doing it.

The one company that claims they can do it apparently don't use an inert atmosphere - one of the Sport 350 guys had his wheels done by them and wasn't happy with the results.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Pretty sure I've got a copy of the missing clip on the pc at home. If I can find it I'll upload it onto yousendit.com and post a link later tonight.

Took a bit of searching but have finally found it. Now uploaded onto Yousendit. The link only remains active for 7 days (or 100 downloads) so suggest you download and save the file as soon as possible.

Anyway, here's the clicky.

[unfortunately the video/sound is slightly out of sync, but it's not too bad.]

Took a bit of searching but have finally found it. Now uploaded onto Yousendit. The link only remains active for 7 days (or 100 downloads) so suggest you download and save the file as soon as possible.

Anyway, here's the clicky.

[unfortunately the video/sound is slightly out of sync, but it's not too bad.]

THANKS for the clip. Dowloaded it and saved it. Much appreciated James.

Heres a big welcome

All the best, give us a shout if your ever down my neck of the woods (Reading, Berks), we could go for a quick hoon

GT3-Jonny

Will do!

Before you ask - no its not a genuine Lotus (If it were I'd deserve to be shot for cutting it up!). No this one's got a V8 of the TVR kind - 5.0 litres and a one-off space frame chassis. There's a double wishbone indipendant front and five-link rear with live axel. I learnt how to make glass fibre panels and replaced the whole front end (wings, bonnet, front panel).

It's now painted in the original Lotus white, but with a pearecent green stripe (instead of the Lotus' Sherwood green one).

One day I'll finish this project and I'll have two V8 Lotus' on my drive!

post-3487-1177678965.jpg

post-3487-1177679077.jpg

post-3487-1177679110.jpg

post-3487-1177679133.jpg

post-3487-1177679155.jpg

post-3487-1177679169.jpg

Hi there,

Met John a few times with his car as he was fairly close in Leeds. Always looked very tidy and sounded great. I think we had a blast down to either Supercar Sunday or Donny one year. I also think it has been to Le Mans at least once. I seem to recall his mate with a Noble blew his engine trying to keep up.

Welcome to the fray.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160